Page 6 of 26 FirstFirst 123456789101112131416 ... LastLast

Thread: Scar

CGN Ultra frequent flyer mildot's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CFMopar View Post
    How much was your deposits? Did they refund you?
    The "deposit"was the full price of the rifle, $4200 and change.
    Yes there was no "cancellation" fee.
    Certified Colt, Glock, REM, S&W, SIG, Tikka Armourer
    "Infil, Hit Target, Mission Complete, Exfil, Easy Day"

Quote Originally Posted by masterduckmaster View Post
    yep me too. thank god. i think that was a wise decision.
    Did you "sell your spot" or get the refund cheque?

CGN Regular
    Here is an update reply when I sent email and ask RCMP a few days ago:

Good morning Mr Adrian Lui:

Situation update: FN SCAR 16S

The purpose of this enquiry is to establish the admissibility of the FN, Herstal, manufactured firearm model known as the FN, SCAR 16S (and the FN SCAR 17S) into Canada for commercial purposes.

It should be noted that the principle difference between the FN SCAR 16S and the FN SCAR 17S is the calibre; the SCAR 16S being in calibre 5.56MM NATO and the SCAR 17S being in 7.62MM NATO calibre and of course differences in scale required due to the different pressure levels, intensity and actual size of the cartridges.

Let me first explain that there are several legal classes of firearms as defined in the Canadian Criminal Code PART III, Section 84; "prohibited", "restricted", CC S 84 (3) "exempt" and "non restricted". All of these classes are defined in the Canadian Criminal Code PART III, Section 84, except "non restricted". "Non restricted" is available for a legal class when the firearm does not meet the definition of "prohibited", "restricted" or "exempt".

We at SFSS have been examining a copy of an FN, SCAR 16S for the purpose of accurately determining a Canadian legal classification for the purpose of building a Firearms Reference Table (FRT) record. As you are no doubt aware the FRT is used by Canada Border Services Agency to determine admissibility of firearms into Canada and the Department of Foreign Affairs and International Trade (DFAIT) to determine whether an Import Permit or an Export Permit may be required for international commerce to take place.

SFSS has now contacted the Belgian National Police in an effort to get the attention of the technical personnel of FN, Herstal, Belgium. How effective this will be remains to be seen. (2011-09-14)

SUMMARY OF CORRESPONDENCE WITH THE FN FACTORY IN HERSTAL BELGIUM

Hello xxxxxxxxxx:

How are you today?

We have communicated on this subject previously. My name is XXXXX, Senior Firearms Technologist, Specialized Firearms Support Services Section (SFSS), RCMP, SFSS. The Specialized Firearms Support Services Section is a component of the Firearms Investigative and Enforcement Services Directorate, Canadian Firearms Program.

The purpose of this series of queries is to establish the admissibility of your firm’s firearm model known as the FNH, SCAR 16S into Canada for commercial sale. We are informed by FNH-USA that FN Herstal is the manufacturer of the receiver utilized in the FN SCAR 16S and SCAR 17S and owner of the technical data package for the receiver of this firearm.

I contacted you in early March of 2011, to which you replied 2011-03-24. I replied to all questions contained in your message on 2011-03-28 and have heard nothing since, despite my asking whether you had received my reply 2011-06-09.

I would like to recommend that if you are not the appropriate person or your office is not the proper organization to contact, to whom I should pose my questions? would you be so kind as to recommend a more appropriate individual or sub-organization within the FN Herstal plant to whom I should address my concerns. Bear in mind that I was referred to FN Herstal by Mr xxxxxxxxx at FNH-USA and you replied to my initial message; which leads me to believe that you assumed the role of technical advisor in this very technical matter.

This matter has been the source of delayed commerce in Canada of the FN SCAR models and this will continue until we are informed of the differences between the full automatic SCAR versions and the semi automatic SCAR 16S & 17S.

Kindly confirm whether or not you have received any e-mail correspondence from the Royal Canadian Mounted Police, Specialized Firearms Support Services.

Thank you in advance for your reply.

XXXXX

XXXXX
    Royal Canadian Mounted Police
    Senior Firearms Technologist
    Specialized Firearms Support Services
    Firearms Investigative & Enforcement Services Directorate
    P.O. Box 8885,
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    K1G 3M8

This email and any files transmitted with it are privileged, confidential, subject to copyright and intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they are addressed. Views expressed are those of the user and not necessarily those of the Royal Canadian Mounted Police. Any unauthorized use, copying, review or disclosure is prohibited under Sec. 7 of the Privacy Act. Please notify the sender immediately if you have received this communication in error. Thank you for your assistance and co-operation.

NOTE: - As of September 16, 2011 SFSS has not received any correspondence from FN Herstal, Belgium since 2011-03-24.

We have determined that although the geneses of the FN SCAR 16S is most certainly the early 1980's FNC; the FN SCAR 16S (and FN SCAR 17S) cannot be categorized as a variant or modified version of the FNC due to the engineering changes and a design lineage that traces back to other firearms. This decision precludes the firearm from having a “prohibited” legal class in Canada as a variant or modified version of an FNC firearm.

We have also determined the FN SCAR 16S to be a factory made, purpose-built, semi automatic mechanism firearm which would, if it were the last consideration, bring a legal class of “non restricted” or “restricted” (depending upon the length of the barrel of a particular variation) to this firearm.

The reasons for the following questions is to satisfy the last criterion - is the firearm easily converted to fire in the full automatic mode in a relatively short period of time with relative ease”? To satisfy the question of "easily converted to fire in the full automatic mode in a relatively short period of time with relative ease”, we require answers to the following questions: -

1. We would like to confirm whether the trigger mechanisms for the two rifles - the full auto & the semi automatic FN SCAR & SCAR 16S, are replaceable modular trigger mechanisms.

2. Also requiring confirmation is why the FN SCAR 16S has a “full auto sear", or as the Belgian firm FN has named similar mechanisms and parts in recent history, a "safety sear" as shown in the attached images.

3. What differences are there in the upper receiver which precludes the installation of full automatic components?

4. What are the difference between the SCAR full automatic receiver and the SCAR 16S semi-automatic receiver?

Thank you for your assistance.

XXXXX

XXXXX
    Senior Firearms Technologist
    Specialized Firearms Support Services
    Firearms Investigative & Enforcement Services Directorate
    Canadian Firearms Program
    Policing Support Services
    Royal Canadian Mounted Police
    Last edited by proflui; 09-19-2011 at 08:31 PM.

Talk about "chasing your tail" this could, and will go on for years.
    A very sad situation at best.

And here's me thinking that once I "bailed" the FRT would be issued in the next coming weeks. Ha Ha

I can't believe that they are serious about the "full auto" "machine gun" thing, WOW, this guy has way too much time on his hands,
    or spends alot of that time on the UZI forum??

CGN Regular
    At least as of 9/14 they are still trying to work on something.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    Why do they need to know the difference? Is it not enough that they can not covert it to full auto themselves??

CGN Regular
    There is a second part of the email. My post is updated.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer mrsmitty's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by nemesisincanada View Post
    Why do they need to know the difference? Is it not enough that they can not covert it to full auto themselves??
    Yup total tards

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    Strikes me from the follow up questions that they want FN to do there job for them.

One of my problems with the "full auto" parts interchangeability is that if this firearm was just entering the market there might be some concern.However its been for sale in the civilian market for years in the US.The US has prohibited new machine guns since 84, not likely that the ATF would have "signed off" on it, if it can use full auto SCAR parts.

Hence FN made it a "manufactured only" semi.