Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: American Eagle .223 damaging gong?

CGN Ultra frequent flyer copeland's Avatar
    I just don't see the issue here. Self healing rubber targets are not 100%, and you are not getting penetration. At the end of the day you are just shooting at a chunk of metal. As I understand, AR500 is a treatment to the steel. perhaps therein lies the issue. I'm not a metalurgist, hower, I remember in 4x4ing a kit of chassis builders had lots to say about the manufacturing process of steels and proficiency of welds. Perhaps the AR500 in this case isn't perfect. but it's just a steel square...shoot it til it's destroyed.
    "If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun." - Dalai Lama, 2001.

“Among the many misdeeds of British rule in India, history will look upon the act depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest.” -Mahatma Gandhi

Quote Originally Posted by copeland View Post
    I just don't see the issue here. Self healing rubber targets are not 100%, and you are not getting penetration. At the end of the day you are just shooting at a chunk of metal. As I understand, AR500 is a treatment to the steel. perhaps therein lies the issue. I'm not a metalurgist, hower, I remember in 4x4ing a kit of chassis builders had lots to say about the manufacturing process of steels and proficiency of welds. Perhaps the AR500 in this case isn't perfect. but it's just a steel square...shoot it til it's destroyed.
    The issue with steel targets from what I've heard is it's not very safe to shoot them at a close to medium range if they have a bunch of pitting on them as it can increase the chances of shrapnel coming back in your direction.

But I'm not too worried, as Fraser valley targets mounting system angles the face of the target downward.

The main reason I posted this is because I was curious to see if anyone else had experience using the same ammo on this target. My first reply mentioned they have used the same ammo without any issues. But then a few other people mentioned they have had issues with AE .223 on steel targets. So who knows. I'll just keep buying the pmc as it leaves nearly no marks even at closer distances (75 yards)

If I really want to further test the gong I might pick up an assortment of different types of .223 and 5.56 to see which ones work versus damage it.

CGN frequent flyer
    I shoot a pile of the AE red box in both 55 and 62g out of my Tikka 223 varmint. I don't get any of the pitting you have but I'm shooting a lot further 300plus. I shoot mild steel as well and it puts a good divet in it. AR steel is definitely hard.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer JR Hartman's Avatar
    the only thing that damages my gongs is the hotter .223/5.56 as well. Not as bad as yours tho, just light craters.

I found that AE and PMC and Norinco were all about the same.

My home loads are made lighter on purpose. a bit more than needed to cycle the action of my carbine, but not much more. no real divots with those.

Now, the steel jacketed stuff does leave bigger divots. never shot it on my own targets, but earlier I had shot some at someone elses and it left divots like those in the OP's posts.
    the CGN formerly know as John_in_BC

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123