Page 94 of 123 FirstFirst ... 74848687888990919293949596979899100101102104114 ... LastLast

Thread: ATRS Modern hunter specs, pics and range reports

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Gunneegoogoo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Canucklehead67 View Post
    First rounds down range with my MH .308.
    Only complaint I got is that everybody wants to
    handle it when they see it.
    As soon as I'm done shooting a group there's a crowd gathered
    behind me.
    Darn first world problems!!
    Noted.

I'll only shoot mine in secrecy.

First Impressions

Not a complete evaluation, but some great first impressions;

The rifle shoots solid, sub-minute groups.

Only had a few rounds of factory 7.62 Norma Match (168 gr Sierra HPBT) on the range with me Sunday.

An o.k. but not high-end scope, a 10x SWFA Super Sniper. (range spare for my students)

Fired two groups, no bipod, off my shooting pack.

For those who care, my friend's Modern Hunter wears an ATRS muzzle break on a medium weight barrel, keymod stock, some enhanced trigger and a Magpul PRS stock.

Groups were great, 4 round group just under 7/8" and three round group at 3/4" inch.

Blue lines on target are 1" apart.

Well done to Rick and his crew at ATRS!

Ben
    Ben Klick
    A life-long serious student of the Rifle
    Sierra 64 Riflecraft

CGN Ultra frequent flyer carverk's Avatar
    The 338 upper is complete just waiting on sum ammo for test firing it's bin a long wait

For anyone that gets the fortis switch handguard... I found a lightweight bipod mounting option that is dirt cheap, does not require you to add a rail section and will not damage/scratch the handguard.

I it works just fantastic.

From IWS:
    http://www.impactweaponscomponents.c...-mount-n-slot/

CGN Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by nik1024 View Post
    I have one of the first 75 Modern Hunters, it's a 243 win that I specced out as a target rifle. 24" medium barrel and full PRS stock, 1:8 twist barrel so I could shoot the heavy 6mm bullets. It's been a long journey to get here but I've got it shooting well now and took it to the ORA Precision Rifle competition at Connaught last weekend. My partner and I managed to get 2nd place overall, with many high scores and top score at 600m deliberate. This is a testament to the potential of these rifles, as I was competing with some seriously nice bolt guns with some top notch shooters driving them.

Here's a link to the scores if anyone is interested http://www.canadiangunnutz.com/forum...ught-May-7-8th

As you can see we fell apart a bit at 700m and 800m, but that's user error (need more practise wind reading- especially at Connaught!). We could see most of the shots landing in a nice horizontal line across the target.

Unfortunately there is always a downside. I just upgraded to a JP Silent Captured Spring System, and am now having many cycling failures. The gun never did this with the buffer system, seems like it's short stroking as brass is falling maybe 12" from the gun. I have full confidence once this is worked out, this will be a great rifle for these competitions. On a number of matches I had to make up shots due to the cycling problems - despite the stress it's strangely satisfying double tapping movers at 400m!
    You forgot to mention you were leading the match after Saturday by 13 points. As well the winds on Sunday were crazy, with gust up to 30 mph. I was very impressed by this gun keeping up with some of the top shooters in Ontario. You beet guys on the canada and US Fclass open team with a gas gun.
    The best shot I saw you take was at 500 on a 3 second exposure. 3 ROUNDS IN 2.5 SECONDS.

Great shooting. Hope to see you out again.
    Ryan

anyone have any luck (after break in) with shooting Hornady ammunition? Particularly the "Hornady Superformance Match Ammunition, .308 Winchester, 178 Grain, Boat Tail Hollow Point Match"

Thinking of picking up a box to try...

Business Member alberta tactical rifle's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by M16LR.50 View Post
    anyone have any luck (after break in) with shooting Hornady ammunition? Particularly the "Hornady Superformance Match Ammunition, .308 Winchester, 178 Grain, Boat Tail Hollow Point Match"

Thinking of picking up a box to try...
    We have had a lot of feedback on the Hornady Superformance ammo and NONE of it is good. It might be the bee's knees in a bolt rifle but everyone who has contacted us is claiming that they are getting blown primers with it.
    Most of the feedback has been best for the 308s with 165 to 168 gr bullets. Federal Gold Medal Match has shown excellent results.
    Alberta Tactical Rifle Supply

Canada's Premier Precision Rifle Manufacturer

Please email all inquiries to info@albertatacticalrifle.com NOT through PMs

The Province of Alberta has been suffering for the last 30 plus years with an EAST infection

http://www.albertatacticalrifle.com/
    Long Distance is BETTER than being there

Quote Originally Posted by alberta tactical rifle View Post
    We have had a lot of feedback on the Hornady Superformance ammo and NONE of it is good. It might be the bee's knees in a bolt rifle but everyone who has contacted us is claiming that they are getting blown primers with it.
    Most of the feedback has been best for the 308s with 165 to 168 gr bullets. Federal Gold Medal Match has shown excellent results.
    I haven't been getting too much luck with the 167s off bags or bipod (lapua ammo).. So today i ordered some GMM 168s and 175s to see if I can get better results on a bipod.

Shaun walked me through a few other things that may have been messing with the harmonics (flex in the fortis handguard via bipod position)...

Will see how it goes.

Business Member alberta tactical rifle's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by M16LR.50 View Post
    I haven't been getting too much luck with the 167s off bags or bipod (lapua ammo).. So today i ordered some GMM 168s and 175s to see if I can get better results on a bipod.

Shaun walked me through a few other things that may have been messing with the harmonics (flex in the fortis handguard via bipod position)...

Will see how it goes.
    For prone shooting especially with a bipod the Fortis is not the best for accuracy simply as it flexs significantly and can allow the handguard to contact the gas block.
    A front bag seems to work far better when looking for accuracy when the Fortis is the furniture of choice.
    Alberta Tactical Rifle Supply

Canada's Premier Precision Rifle Manufacturer

Please email all inquiries to info@albertatacticalrifle.com NOT through PMs

The Province of Alberta has been suffering for the last 30 plus years with an EAST infection

http://www.albertatacticalrifle.com/
    Long Distance is BETTER than being there

Quote Originally Posted by cdnshooter View Post
    The rifle shoots solid, sub-minute groups.

Only had a few rounds of factory 7.62 Norma Match (168 gr Sierra HPBT) on the range with me Sunday.

An o.k. but not high-end scope, a 10x SWFA Super Sniper. (range spare for my students)

Fired two groups, no bipod, off my shooting pack.

Groups were great, 4 round group just under 7/8" and three round group at 3/4" inch.

Blue lines on target are 1" apart.

Ben
    Great shooting especially considering it's your first time with this particular rifle, the owner definitely has it Zeroed-In.

However I wouldn't call #3 and #4 rd. groups significant in size for a real test of the rifles accuracy, saying that it did group those rounds especially well.

I can only assume from your student comment that you must be a very experienced shooter who teaches others how to shoot very good groups.

Cheers D
    Gun Control is Being Able to Hit Your Target.