Page 18 of 29 FirstFirst ... 8101112131415161718192021222324252628 ... LastLast

Thread: Reclassification Status on the BD38 and BD3008?

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Coyote Ugly's Avatar
    In all the other countries that the SSD BD38 and BD3008 have been sold,
    has there been any Repercussions/Bans/Confiscations/Problems in those countries with regards to the BD38 and BD3008?

What does SSD (Germany) or the new owners of SSD say?

Or is this just a "Made in Canada" problem made to suit an agenda?

Canada Ammo - CGN Sponsor CanAm's Avatar
    Are they sold in the US? Land of the ATF and the string machinegun (now rescinded)

CGN Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by CanAm View Post
    Are they sold in the US? Land of the ATF and the string machinegun (now rescinded)
    There was a US version; it had a closed bolt, the folding stock was fixed and it required US made components. It also came under a different name, I remember seeing it advertised in the 'Shotgun News' magazine.

Very similar to what was required when the released the PTR44 in the US, which is really the BD44, but again with US made components.

CGN Regular
    Some US gun laws are almost as bad as ours, the grass is not always greener on the other side.

Examples:
    1. In the US you can own a repro shoulder stock for the Browning Hi Power or P08, but you are not allowed to fit it to your pistole. You are only allowed to mount original shoulder stocks to your pistole.
    2. Without a special permit you can't have a 55 Boys rifle unless you have it re-chambered to 50 BMG.
    3. Some of the mandatory US component parts for the PTR44 - stock and grips (I guess the German made stocks/grips were dangerous .)
    4. Many of their folding stocks have to be fixed (welded in place).
    5. Depending on which state or town you live in determines what firearms, calibres and mag capacity you are allowed to have.

The reclassification of the SSD BD38 came about as when Mike went to court he used the argument that his new gun was no different than the BD38 despite warnings from more experienced dealers not to use that argument. So one of our own forced the “Crown” to order a re-examination of the BD38, you can’t blame the RCMP for that. We have several of these guns in inventory, we have had to sit on them as transfers were frozen. The RCMP lab offered to purchase two from us but I refused fearing what the results would be, it only gave us a little time.

The repercussions are for more serious than just the re-classification of a few BD38 guns, it sets a very dangerous precedent, we are back on that slippery slope, the ease of converting a semi auto firearm into a full auto. This is a position we were faced with when the “Converted class” was created and I had hoped that was all behind us.

Point of information for the new members who may not be aware of it but as a war time expedient the manual bolt action Lee Enfield rifle was converted into a select fire automatic weapon, the Charlton. (That is why the Lee Enfield 10 rd mag had to be specifically exempted as she could be used in a full auto, at the time the legal decision concerning high cap mags used in firearms other than what they had been designed had not been made). Now if a Lee Enfield can be made into a select fire gun, where is the limit?

We have received no direction as to what will happen with the current BD38 guns in Canada, my personal view is that we will be given 90 days to dispose of them or surrender them for compensation.

Quote Originally Posted by agentcq View Post
    There was a US version; it had a closed bolt, the folding stock was fixed and it required US made components. It also came under a different name, I remember seeing it advertised in the 'Shotgun News' magazine.

Very similar to what was required when the released the PTR44 in the US, which is really the BD44, but again with US made components.
    I remember on the old SSD website, I believe the SSD BD38 was available in 3 versions:

(1) Open Bolt

(2) Closed Bolt

(3) Repeater - you had to manually cock the bolt for each shot, much like the same idea as a lever action rifle. (not semi auto)

Having said that, do Option (2) and Option (3) pass the RCMP lab test?,

and rather than confiscate or what ever they have planned,

are those parts available to convert a (1) open bolt to:
    Option (2) Closed Bolt, or Option (3) Repeater, if those versions are legal?
    Last edited by Coyote Ugly; 12-23-2012 at 01:17 PM.

I had a fair amount typed out and thought " nope better not" ... utter fail.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wolverine View Post
    The reclassification of the SSD BD38 came about as when Mike went to court he used the argument that his new gun was no different than the BD38 despite warnings from more experienced dealers not to use that argument. So one of our own forced the “Crown” to order a re-examination of the BD38, you can’t blame the RCMP for that. We have several of these guns in inventory, we have had to sit on them as transfers were frozen. The RCMP lab offered to purchase two from us but I refused fearing what the results would be, it only gave us a little time.

The repercussions are for more serious than just the re-classification of a few BD38 guns, it sets a very dangerous precedent, we are back on that slippery slope, the ease of converting a semi auto firearm into a full auto. This is a position we were faced with when the “Converted class” was created and I had hoped that was all behind us.

Point of information for the new members who may not be aware of it but as a war time expedient the manual bolt action Lee Enfield rifle was converted into a select fire automatic weapon, the Charlton. (That is why the Lee Enfield 10 rd mag had to be specifically exempted as she could be used in a full auto, at the time the legal decision concerning high cap mags used in firearms other than what they had been designed had not been made). Now if a Lee Enfield can be made into a select fire gun, where is the limit?

We have received no direction as to what will happen with the current BD38 guns in Canada, my personal view is that we will be given 90 days to dispose of them or surrender them for compensation.
    We have closed bolt versions here, no improvement in my opinion, I would be very surprised if the manual action was any better. Good luck with ordering parts from SSD they like to take your money and then make you wait, a great gun nut but a lousy business man.

Good morning John
    Wasn't, meaning to trespass on your forum, since CGN reworked the site I get lost at times. Merry Christmas.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wolverine View Post
    We have closed bolt versions here, no improvement in my opinion, I would be very surprised if the manual action was any better. Good luck with ordering parts from SSD they like to take your money and then make you wait, a great gun nut but a lousy business man.

Good morning John
    Wasn't, meaning to trespass on your forum, since CGN reworked the site I get lost at times. Merry Christmas.
    The term Improvement in the above paragraph? Do you mean "Machine Reliability", or would not not pass the RCMP lab test for the 3 options available? Sorry, the one word threw me for a loop!

Quote Originally Posted by Coyote Ugly View Post
    The term Improvement in the above paragraph? Do you mean "Machine Reliability", or would not not pass the RCMP lab test for the 3 options available? Sorry, the one word threw me for a loop!
    Nothing wrong with the reliability !