Page 18 of 28 FirstFirst ... 81011121314151617181920212223242526 ... LastLast

Thread: Scorpio SKS-15 7.62x39mm Non-Restricted

CGN Ultra frequent flyer mebiuspower's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Still alive View Post
    I don't doubt that a lot of money was spent in the development and construction of the SKS-15. And the costs have to be recouped.
    Notice that other Canadian company who is making a SKS chassis need a gofundme campaign and only got $801 out of the $50k required? Yeah about that.

CGN frequent flyer Sunchild2071's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mebiuspower View Post
    Notice that other Canadian company who is making a SKS chassis need a gofundme campaign and only got $801 out of the $50k required? Yeah about that.
    Not too surprising. I looked into that, but could not tell (easily) if it would be an investment, or donation. I couldn't see anything like that flying, without some type of return on the funds.

It does bring to mind though, the fact that if the firearms community will not support Canadian entrepreneurship and innovation, we will continue to be at the mercy of other manufacturers outside our borders, with little ability to give input into design. Just hoping for the next shiny thing.

What is needed, other than the so-easy-to-receive bashing, that almost every new idea seems to get, is productive, constructive criticism.

Standard threads have a suggestion offered by someone, usually followed by 3-5 slams on the product.

Just look at this thread, how many DON'T like it. Yet, this is a good leap towards a very good idea. Now if all the naysayers, added some constructive criticism with their bashing comments, the manufacturer could go over those, see which have merit, and if some of those ideas would be worth seeing a V2.0 of this.

LOTS of SKS out there. No reason it can't be given a facelift, as long as it is taken for what it really is. No single solution, will please everyone. But constructive criticisms will help get us things more to the liking of the masses.

So does anyone know, is this Canadian MADE? Or just Canadian FITTED? I've read this thread as it has progressed along, but am not sure that I caught the origin of the manufacture or this chassis/system.

Personally, I want to see some field testing results, but I find this product intriguing. Even moreso if completely Canadian manufactured.
    Are you taking over, or are you taking orders?
    Live free, live Cree!

Quote Originally Posted by Sunchild2071 View Post
    So does anyone know, is this Canadian MADE? Or just Canadian FITTED? I've read this thread as it has progressed along, but am not sure that I caught the origin of the manufacture or this chassis/system.

Personally, I want to see some field testing results, but I find this product intriguing. Even moreso if completely Canadian manufactured.
    Yes, Canadian made and custom fitted by Kodiak Defense. Agree, testing results are needed.
    CSSA/CCFR MemberAn unjust law, is no law at all.Martin Luther (1483-1546)
    There may be times when we are powerless to prevent injustice, but there must never be a time when we fail to protest. Elie Wiesel

CGN frequent flyer Sunchild2071's Avatar
    Thanks for the clarification, 9mmGunGuy. I had missed that, somewhere along the line.
    Are you taking over, or are you taking orders?
    Live free, live Cree!

CGN Regular
    Not too surprising. I looked into that, but could not tell (easily) if it would be an investment, or donation. I couldn't see anything like that flying, without some type of return on the funds.

It does bring to mind though, the fact that if the firearms community will not support Canadian entrepreneurship and innovation, we will continue to be at the mercy of other manufacturers outside our borders, with little ability to give input into design. Just hoping for the next shiny thing.

What is needed, other than the so-easy-to-receive bashing, that almost every new idea seems to get, is productive, constructive criticism.

Standard threads have a suggestion offered by someone, usually followed by 3-5 slams on the product.

Just look at this thread, how many DON'T like it. Yet, this is a good leap towards a very good idea. Now if all the naysayers, added some constructive criticism with their bashing comments, the manufacturer could go over those, see which have merit, and if some of those ideas would be worth seeing a V2.0 of this.

LOTS of SKS out there. No reason it can't be given a facelift, as long as it is taken for what it really is. No single solution, will please everyone. But constructive criticisms will help get us things more to the liking of the masses.

Well said...

I totally agree with this statement. Just look at the ATRS example.

Technical Observations:

Takedown video lists both imperial and metric hex keys. Standardize on one or another.

Possible redesign uses take-down pins instead (in some areas) of hex screws. Might be a combination of the two based on the design requirements to hold chassis onto rifle. Any reduction in the number of screws required to remove rifle for cleaning would be useful. (And reduce objections to all those corrosive ammo users out there).

Possible redesign to use keyed mating surface and pushpin instead of screws for front handguard assembly.

Replace Key-MOD with Mag-LOK might reduce costs by eliminating amount of machining time (minimal).

Possible redesign to allow standard process of removing (unscrewing) mag release from rifle instead of the use of screw. Requires semi-recess feature of left hand ambi magazine release to be removed. Width of stock probably requires lengthened mag release screw and fence on left side of reciever. Alternative is to use oversize left hand side ambi-release for technique below.

Manual of arms requires grabbing spare magazine and actuating left side ambi release with thumb and then inserting new magazine into well. Similar process I use with my CZ-858 B&T magazine conversion.
    Not as onerous as it first appears. Fact I only have to renew magazine after 10 rounds instead of 5 rounds mitigates (a little) the somewhat awkward loading procedure.

Interesting design by a Canadian company that has redesigned legacy firearm for the asinine Canadian gun laws.

Kudos for trying. What other 10 round non-restricted semi-auto rifle is available for the Canadian market for under 1K without using a magazine conversion?

L
    Last edited by lmar; 12-07-2016 at 01:28 PM.
    --------------------------------------------------
    "If sense is so common ..... why is it in such short supply?"

I sure would like to see a picture of one in "black"! can't get a feel for it in cream/tan? surely there must be a pic or 2 of one in black?

Quote Originally Posted by nelsonm64 View Post
    i sure would like to see a picture of one in "black"! Can't get a feel for it in cream/tan? Surely there must be a pic or 2 of one in black?
    x2!

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    Any updates?