Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: Pietta Python?

CGN Ultra frequent flyer sailor723's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Max Owner View Post
    Wonder if Colt won't give permission......
    What "permission" would they need from Colt? I'd imagine any patents on the Python would be expired long ago.
    Fan of Browning Hi-Powers and both S&W and Colt revolvers

CGN Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by sailor723 View Post
    What "permission" would they need from Colt? I'd imagine any patents on the Python would be expired long ago.
    I emailed the company in November 2015 and received this reply "As soon as the issue with Colt's is over".

BANNED
    funny,,they dont seem to be too worried about the OTHER Colts they copy,,

Expired Business
    I'm certain that when they are ready Pietta will ship our order....
    Not everything is made at all times at the Pietta factory....

I am quite confident that all issues will be resolved
    John

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Trinimon's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hootguy View Post
    funny,,they dont seem to be too worried about the OTHER Colts they copy,,
    Isn't because all the other patents have run out hence why all the 1911 and 1873 SAA clones. I couldn't find when the Python patent runs out.
    CSSA Member

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Melnibonean's Avatar
    Patent expiration depends on a few things:

1) If the patent is an original-issue Utility Patent (not a Design Patent (number starts with "D" or "Des") or a Plant Patent (number starts with "P" or "Plt") or a Reissue of a Utility Patent (number starts with Re)) and the patent number is 4,999,999 or less - stop here. All such patents expired on or before August 31, 2010

2) Utility Patents and Plant Patents based on applications filed after June 8, 1995, (actual filing date, not priority date), have a term of 20 years from the US filing date

3) Utility Patents and Plant Patents based on applications which were pending on June 8, 1995 (actual filing date, not priority date), and any Utility or Plant Patent which was issued on or after June 7, 1978 and had not expired before June 8, 1995, have a term measured by the longer of 17 years from the date of issue or 20 years from the date of US filing

4) Utility and Plant Patents issued before June 7, 1978, had a 17-year term, measured from the date of issue, and have all expired

5) Design Patents granted on applications filed before May 13, 2015, have a term of 14 years, measured from the date of issue

6) Design patents granted on applications filed on or after May 13, 2015, have a term of 15 years, measured from the date of issue

Patents cannot be renewed. Nor can one pick up the rights to an expired patent. Once a patent expires, the invention is in the public domain

Some patents have had their terms extended, by private laws in Congress, or by a section of the Patent Law which provides for restoration of patent term lost due to government regulatory delays. In almost every case these were drug patents, where the testing and approvals required by the FDA ate up almost all of the patent term. For nearly all inventions, extension is not an option.

Utility Patents cover:
    •Machines
    •Articles of manufacture
    •Methods (processes)
    •Compositions of matter (chemicals, cell lines)
    •Improvements to any of the above.

Design Patents cover the appearance of useful objects. They do not cover the function or construction of the object.

Plant Patents cover certain plants

Source: Brown and Michaels Patent US Law Office
    '"We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their creator with certain unalienable rights, that among these are life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness" - US Declaration of Independence

tagged

Quote Originally Posted by johnone View Post
    I'm certain that when they are ready Pietta will ship our order....
    Not everything is made at all times at the Pietta factory....

I am quite confident that all issues will be resolved
    John
    No doubt I will be one of the first in line when they are ready Need me a revolver in the safe.

once again...bump
    summers coming !

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Trinimon's Avatar
    Read a few postings on the Colt forum and one of the guys posted the email reply from Pietta saying that it is not being made at this point in time or immediate future. Doesn't mean it ain't coming but it pretty much rules out seeing it in 2016. Oh well... that sucked.
    CSSA Member