Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AP1 realistic ammo requirement?

AP1 realistic ammo requirement?

Hi all,

I'll be taking the TDSA AP1 course Sept. 7th at HAHA. Judging by the reviews I am definitely looking forward to it!

Just curious...the minimum ammo requirement is 750+rounds. can anyone provide a realistic amount of ammo they actually shoot? (I would assume much higher than 750?) The last thing I want to happen to me is in the middle of fun and informative shooting and run out of ammo!

Thanks!

P.S....you know like when you apply for college the minimum cut-off is like 75average but usually the safe bet is to have a 80 average?...anyways...
    there are two kinds of gun-crime victim relatives:
    the ones who take actions politically to advocate gun carry for self defense,
    and the ones who take actions to ban guns out of the people above.

Hey, I'll be there at the Sept 7 session as well

I'm planning on bringing 1000, but I'm interested in finding out from others what a good number to bring would be.

Quote Originally Posted by echerub View Post
    Hey, I'll be there at the Sept 7 session as well

I'm planning on bringing 1000, but I'm interested in finding out from others what a good number to bring would be.
    From my experience 1000 rounds is more than sufficient. The more magazines you bring the faster you'll shoot through ammo. I brought 3 and shot probably 650-750 rounds of the 1000 I brought with me. The actual drills probably required about 250-300 rounds and the rest is just open shooting between drills and practising the skills that are demonstrated.

When I took AP1 last year, I shot almost 800 rounds of the 1000 I brought. You should be ok with 750, but I'd say bring 1000 so you don't run out. Have fun. I had a blast taking AP1 last year, and I'm looking forward to AP2 tomorrow.
    I'm a member of both Team CSSA, and Canada's NFA. Are You?

Good to know - thank you! And I hope AP2 was a blast

The last AP1 on Aug 10 we shot 450 rounds.
    I brought 1k with me in 50 round boxes, and have 13 full boxes left.
    Peace through superior firepower.
    Member: NFA, CCFR & CSSA

Hmm. So it's pretty variable. Well, there's no direct relationship between shots fired and quality of training & education so however it goes will be good

As I understand the Aug 10 course was a bit shorter than usual, due to the conflict with a skeet match. I went through 490 rounds, but I shot the last four mags during the "free time" at the end of the course, so for the training itself I also only needed 450.

I just did the course this year. I brought around 1000 rounds but I shot over 800 rounds, maybe around 850 or close to 900? Some people in my class shot less (around 600 rounds). It comes down to how much do you want to shoot. I had lots of mags with me so I kept them all topped off. So basically I was spending less time reloading and more time shooting and really pushing myself. Since a lot of my classmates were reloading and I had all these mags topped off, I would shoot twice in a row at times. Shot so much that day my rear sights actually shifted (installed my own sights but I guess I didn't do a good job. Yeah I laughed really hard about that after because near at the end of the course I had to adjust my point of aim to the left to actually hit anything!)

I say bring anywhere from 500 to 1000 rounds and you should be good. It really is up to you how much you want to shoot. The more ammo, the more fun though.

CGN frequent flyer LeftFootOfDoom's Avatar
    round count has gone down alot over the years. I did mine in 06 or 07 at silverdale with scott, and we were going thru 1k to 1300 rds in 2 days. Lots of trigger time to practice resets etc.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast