Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Our Vz58 Pistol RCMP Report

Quote Originally Posted by Jon. View Post
    I'm not sure what anyone expected. It's a short barreled rifle with the stock and handguards taken off. I'm not one to defend the RCMP's firearms lab, but really, this was trying to sneak one by the goalie.
    Hopefully this venture didn't ruin the chances of getting an actual pistol version made and accepted.
    That's really not the case.

This was a dedicated pistol stateside, that was bought and imported.

The RCMP said it themselves in the report: the receiver left Czech Republic as a pistol.

There is no disagreement about the firearm itself being a handgun. They're disagreement is that our magazine from Cz is somehow a "rifle magazine pretending to be a pistol."

Perhaps, if we had TV-PressPass unpinning magazines and scrawling pistol declarations on them with an engraver, that would make sense. But our magazines were sourced directly from Cz with the pistol specific labeling.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer fenceline's Avatar
    The disagreement comes from what the receiver started as. It started as a rifle receiver, and was modified (either in czech or the US, doesn't matter which) into a handgun.

Thus, any and all magazines are designed initially as rifles mags. For your to get your pistol mags through, you'll need to get a purpose built handgun receiver and go from there. Not convert a intended rifle receiver into a handgun "configuration.

Interestingly enough, a new receiver in the form of the 958 is being made by wolverine and is going through classification. So new 58 style receivers are in the works.

Make a handgun receiver right from forging, and then you'll have what you need.

Converting a rifle receiver vs forging a handgun receiver is the key issue. XCR and AR receivers for example are forged as "pistol" roll marked from the factory. They are designed, from the preforging process as pistol receivers. There in lay the difference in the lab's eyes.

Until then, they are all considered rifle mags designed for rifle receivers.
    Last edited by fenceline; 10-21-2014 at 01:52 PM.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer mebiuspower's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by fenceline View Post
    AR receivers for example are forged as "pistol" roll marked from the factory.
    Something tells me you have never seen blocks of aluminium forgings fresh from the forging machine.

I think it might be easier to change our backward mag cap laws than all these workarounds.
    "Freedom has cost too much blood and agony to be relinquished at the cheap price of rhetoric.”
    ― Thomas Sowell,

CGN Ultra frequent flyer fenceline's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mebiuspower View Post
    Something tells me you have never seen blocks of aluminium forgings fresh from the forging machine.
    Nope. But the concept stands. If you take a receiver that was built as a rifle receiver, and kit it out as a handgun, the RCMP will say it is a rifle receiver registered as a handgun.

If you forge a pistol receiver it starts out life as a pistol receiver.

Two different things under law. It all goes to intent, more than mechanics. I'm not debating the stupidity of it all, simply what will be required for the project to work.
    CQB, 3 Gun, ISSAC and Service Rifle Shooter.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ - 1* - SI VIS PACEM, PARA BELLUM - HAN SHOT FIRST - YOUR FREEDOM IS YOUR RESPONSIBILITY

BANNED
    delete
    Last edited by jonythebeast; 04-08-2015 at 05:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by jonythebeast View Post
    LOL, the RCMP literally just wants to prevent law abiding folks from getting 10 rounds. They know full well criminals wouldn't even use them, as they would just use illegally modified 30 rounders.
    It says a lot that there intentions are so clearly to stomp on the legal gun owners who aren't the problem.
    Modified? Since the RCMP says something like 90 percent of the guns used in crime here are smuggled from the states, whats the bet they were never pinned at all.
    Last edited by dnewma02; 12-09-2014 at 03:10 AM.

I rather not read that, I wanna sleep tonight and my blood pressures needs to come down a little.
    Travis Kay
    Proverbs 4:27
    http://www.traviskay.ca [laughably dated]
    http://linkedin.com/in/kaytravis

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Can-down's Avatar
    I've got to agree with BBB on this one.....a real long shot with the current mentality withing the CFC/RCMP fire arms bueracrcy.

Imagine working towards regular capacity magazines and then look at the current Political BS in the Media around the current bill.....
    Our Government trusts rivets more then law abiding gun owners.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer TV-PressPass's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Can-down View Post
    I've got to agree with BBB on this one.....a real long shot with the current mentality withing the CFC/RCMP fire arms bueracrcy.
    Remember that this was submitted well before reclassification of the Cz's and all the other messiness. It seemed like a sure thing to us! CSA makes a Vz58 pistol, why not bring one in?!

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast