Page 16 of 18 FirstFirst ... 689101112131415161718 LastLast

Thread: Gryphon Binary Exploding Rifle Targets - get some bangs for your bucks!

CGN frequent flyer
    Quote Originally Posted by AmmoSupply Kate View Post
    I have heard that too! And I believe that there are people out there using some equipment to scientifically determine the difference in the boom between brands
    Here's the first round of tests. No before after photos, just high speed video.

1/4lb Tannerite, slowed down 40 times:

1/4lb Gryphonenergetics, slowed down 40 times:

The Tannerite blew one of the pentagons on the soccer ball off and it was hanging by a few threads.

The Gryphon target, same amount, ripped the ball open so that it could almost be laid flat on the ground. The ball isn't visible in the second video after the explosion. It ended up about 30m back in the trees.

CGN frequent flyer
    1lb Tannerite, slowed down 20 times:

1lb Gryphonenergetics, slowed down 20 times:

In the one pound videos, you can see the moisture in the air condensing as the shock wave passes through. Watch the leaves on the right of the explosion in the Tannerite video, then the Gryphon video. The Tannerite barely rustles the leaves, the Gryphon does a number on them. You can also see the GRyphon shock wave condenses a lot more moisture than the Tannerite shockwave. It's really a whole different story between the two. More ovbious is the collection of wood splinters that radiate from the Gryphon target. This stuff really rocks!

Sound wise, no equipment is needed to tell that the 1/4 pound of Gryphon sounds very close to a full pound of Tannerite. Not even any competition between the two, in my mind. The Gryphon targets produce a much louder and deeper bang and sharper sound. The shock wave can be felt much more.

On the plus side for Tannerite, it didn't ignite the jar of gasoline underneath it, whereas Gryphonenergetics did ignite gasoline in another test (sadly not on camera). I'll be keeping a supply of tannerite around for very dry weather, but otherwise I'll be using Gryphon from now on.

Next up, a comparison with Shockwave, which does much better than Tannerite, but still not as loud as Gryphon

Expired Business Member
    Awesome Gyppo! Thanks so much for posting these

Expired Business Member
    Wow, AWESOME videos!

CGN Ultra frequent flyer mildcustom2's Avatar
    I've shot at shockwave, tannerite and gryphon energetics targets and I have to say the one with the most success and loudest boom is gryphon energetics. I just ordered 24 pounds from ammosupply and look forward to receiving it.

Its a fantastic target for us 50 cal guys when shooting long distances so we can see and hear we made a good solid hit. We've shot at it as far as 660 yards and it's very clearly identifiable in our scopes.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer 7.62mm's Avatar
    Woot.....got the last case of 1lbers
    Join CSSA Call 1-888-873-4339 for info!
    Join CCFR https://firearmrights.ca/en/home/

Expired Business Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 7.62mm View Post
    Woot.....got the last case of 1lbers
    Congratulations! We still have some 1/2lb targets in stock - $149.99 plus GST and free delivery. More stock due in a couple of weeks! Let me know if you want to be notified when the 1 lb targets are back in stock.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer mildcustom2's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AmmoSupply Kate View Post
    Congratulations! We still have some 1/2lb targets in stock - $149.99 plus GST and free delivery. More stock due in a couple of weeks! Let me know if you want to be notified when the 1 lb targets are back in stock.
    I would buy half pounders but $40 more for 24 half pounders over the same weight in one pounders does not make them justifiable.

Expired Business Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mildcustom2 View Post
    I would buy half pounders but $40 more for 24 half pounders over the same weight in one pounders does not make them justifiable.
    I hear ya! There is extra cost in the manufacturing/packaging process for the 1/2 lb targets, hence the additional cost. They also are really convenient for those who want a smaller bang. We'll be getting more 1 lb cases in a couple of weeks - if anybody wants some put aside for them when the next shipment arrives, PM me!

BUY THIS ABSOULUTLY AWESOME bought some tannerite fun bought some Gryphon BIG FUN