Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121314 LastLast

Thread: S&W 629 "Canadian Edition"

Uber Super GunNutz hunterhenderson's Avatar
    Im trying to dig up the guy who bought one, ill post the info exactly as he tells it later
    “Blind belief in authority is the greatest enemy of truth.”
    ― Albert Einstein

CGN Ultra frequent flyer tjhaile's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Max Owner View Post
    Does this stand to reason that all S&W 4" barrelled revolvers would make it as 4.2"?
    The legal minimum barrel length is greater than 105mm (4.13"). Most nominally 4" S&Ws are too short, but some examples have been verified as being long enough to be classed as restricted. This is a result of normal manufacturing variance.

Quote Originally Posted by tjhaile View Post
    The legal minimum barrel length is greater than 105mm (4.13"). Most nominally 4" S&Ws are too short, but some examples have been verified as being long enough to be classed as restricted. This is a result of normal manufacturing variance.
    if it is .2 of an inch longer then that is the way it is designed, there is no way a machinist of that class would be out 200 thou.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Max Owner's Avatar
    Displaced From South Western Ontario, To GP, Alberta. And back again...... And again.
    Son of a bugger!
    Shooter and Collector (kinda)

Never Forget Best Friends.

Aug 30, 2008.
    Dec 29, 2008.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer critter928's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sask farmboy View Post
    if it is .2 of an inch longer then that is the way it is designed, there is no way a machinist of that class would be out 200 thou.
    And yet there are plenty that have been "re-verified" to find they just make it to 105mm. Some make it, others don't.

Here is one such example sold by P & D recently and the thread on it;

Quote Originally Posted by P of PDent View Post
    This gun had us scratching our head too. The measurement made it just legal for Canada (restricted) even though it was shown as a 4". I doubt that it was made special for us but I believe sometimes in the finishing and barrel fitting, the dimensions change a little. We saw this with a Smith auto a few years ago that was classified as prohib but when we measured it was just over the min length and the Feds changed the classification for us. When we realized that this model 29 was just over the legal length Dianne bought the only other one we could find. You guys are lucky this hit the shelf as I had it in my hands and since I don't own a model 29 I almost took it. I chose not to because I have 12(6) status and felt someone should own this who can't get a prohib. Good shooting. Phil.
    http://www.canadiangunnutz.com/forum...-2-Inch-barrel

Quote Originally Posted by stubbs00 View Post
    P&D you are amazing lol, It is amazing and you shipped so fast. and a big thanks to Cheryl who put up with me repeatedly asking "and your sure it is 4.2". Here are a few pics, i will take better ones on the weekend.

"For having lived long, I have experienced many instances of being obliged, by better information or fuller consideration, to change opinions, even on important subjects, which I once thought right but found to be otherwise." - Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by sask farmboy View Post
    Yes, S&W and Ruger have made 4.2" barrels specifically for the Canadian market, but some nominally 4" guns have been verified as having a long enough barrel (which could still be less than 4.2") to be restricted.

When you consider that barrels have to be fitted to the individual frame and that at least some replacement barrels are listed as 4.125" (see the Brownells or Numrich websites), it isn't surprising that some individual barrels end up being longer than 105mm.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    Sooo conversely, a 4.2 can by variance in length be to short to qualify for restricted status!?!

" Those who hammer their swords into plowshares, will Plow for those who do not".

Quote Originally Posted by bobdbldr View Post
    Sooo conversely, a 4.2 can by variance in length be to short to qualify for restricted status!?!
    It is unlikely that such would be the case, as the barrels have been deliberately made to comply with Canadian legal requirements. Ruger and S&W have probably made enough allowance in their barrel blanks to prevent this from happening.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    Quote Originally Posted by tjhaile View Post
    It is unlikely that such would be the case, as the barrels have been deliberately made to comply with Canadian legal requirements. Ruger and S&W have probably made enough allowance in their barrel blanks to prevent this from happening.
    Hope so, cause I want one! But I will be measuring it too! ;0)

" Those who hammer their swords into plowshares, will Plow for those who do not".

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Tuco Pike's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bobdbldr View Post
    Hope so, cause I want one! But I will be measuring it too! ;0)
    And if you get one, and it is registered as restricted, any when you measure it is a millimeter too short, keep that to yourself and not spoil it for the rest of us. This barrel length nonsense has to go. What are the next pro-firearm changes that are currently being pushed for?