Page 23 of 34 FirstFirst ... 313151617181920212223242526272829303133 ... LastLast

Thread: Utas-15 road show

Great review, 'joe!
    Very detailed explanations, clear grammar and spelling, and no rambling sentences.
    Crisp clear photos as well.

Will you be doing another shoot before sending it off?
    If so, I hope I can make it.
    I have had to pass on two already! (Powerwagen had it a month or so ago)

I'm leaving on Wednesday morning for two weeks. If Wolverine is OK with it you could swing by and pick it up? My wife will be home in the evenings/week ends, so it wouldn't be too hard since you live close by.

Quote Originally Posted by Miraclejoe View Post
    I'm leaving on Wednesday morning for two weeks. If Wolverine is OK with it you could swing by and pick it up? My wife will be home in the evenings/week ends, so it wouldn't be too hard since you live close by.
    I'm up for that.
    I'll PM Wolverine now.
    Thanks.

EDIT, PM sent to Grumpy. Awaiting reply

2nd Edit Change of plan. As there are others waiting, I dont want to butt in line. I appreciate the offer though.
    Last edited by tootall; 04-22-2014 at 02:04 PM.

A couple more points:

Dissassembly and cleaning are quite simple.

The sling loops are screw in, which seems rather odd.

Business Member Grumpy Wolverine's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Miraclejoe View Post
    A couple more points:

Dissassembly and cleaning are quite simple.

The sling loops are screw in, which seems rather odd.
    Thanks for the review Joe. Why do screw in sling studs seem strange? Very solid and most hunting guns have screw in studs on them.
    I suspect that the failure to feeds that you experienced were caused from an unfamiliarity with the firearm. These have to be used very forcefully back to properly work the shotgun. Not doing so will cause double feeds etc as you were experiencing. Also as your friend pointed out the bolt reminds him of a Winchester, which is exactly correct. This also means that the action is a "speed" style action which will start to rotate and open the bolt upon firing. If a person isn't used to this type of action, it can take a little to get your rhythm in sync and get the action flowing the way it should. Thanks for all the great pictures and for having some fun.
    If you have any questions please call or e-mail:

Phone: (204) 748-2454
    E-mail: sales@wolverinesupplies.com Retail Sales

The sling loop seem odd in the sense that I only use/see ones which swivel and/rotate freely. I'm not much of a shotgun/hunting guy (yet), I shoot mostly ARs and such... While it seems unlikely that the sling loop would come undone due to turning too many turns, with a sling attached, it does leave me uneasy. I'd have to sling that gun and walk around for a day to see if it would actually be an issue.

Got this in my grubby little mitts now - anyone who wants to have a go at this - fire me off a PM and I will arrange a range trip in the next week or so.

UTS-15 review

Sorry for the delay Wolverine, below is my range report from the UTS-15 shotgun that was tested at MVRRC on April 19, 2014.

Unfortunately there was zero turn-out for this session and so my review will be limited to the 3 of us who spent about two hours with the firearm. Apparently not a lot of Haligonians on Gunnutz!

First we loaded up a magazine of 2 3/4" Winchester Universal (red and silver box) and one magazine of S&B 2 3/4" rifled slugs. We didn't even get through 2 slugs before one jammed, requiring us to pull the shotgun apart and lift the ejector arm up so that the bolt could be removed from the shell.

[IMG][/IMG]

This was likely due to the collar of the slug being 1/2" long as opposed to 1/4" with the birdshot. I had similar problems with another shotgun and it eventually broke in, although I must say I had high hopes that this shotgun would eat this ammo first time out. This jam occurred on the next slug as well and so having already disassembled the shotgun twice, we decided to stick with birdshot.

Once we got used to the pumping action of this particular gun we were able to easily push all 15 rounds through no problem. Well, I must say that my Father and I could, my brother-in-law is just newly introduced to shooting and had continuous problems. Not the least of which being the buttstock of the gun knocking his ear-muffs off.

[IMG][/IMG]

And before any calls irresponsible on me, I spoke to him many times about keeping the stock square into his chest rather than up on the top of his shoulder, but it must have been where his hold naturally wanted to go.

Anyways, once we tore up the mannequin and balloons and pop and targets a bit and were comfortable with the gun, I loaded it back up with slugs as I was determined to put a half pound of lead down range. The third slug caused a jam. And this was me being extra cautious about pumping the action forcefully. I think this test firearm has only had one other tester on it and needs to be broken in. Again, gun apart, ejector arm lifted and bolt removed. And once the bolt was out of the way, the shell slid right out.

Random picture
    [IMG][/IMG]

We then took it over to the skeet range and blasted away at those for a while. I don't think any of us were particularly good at skeet shooting and so I can't really comment on this gun being decent for skeet, but I will say it was great having 15 rounds between reloads.

[IMG][/IMG]

Also, it was by far the best shotgun I've ever fired for recoil. I probably put 125 rounds through myself and no soreness in the shoulder at all. A real pleasure to shoot.

I must clarify that in the video, a lot of the jams are from early in the day and by the time we got to the skeet range, we weren't having the problems we were in the video.

All in all, we felt that this is a specialty shotgun, meaning that the person who purchases this needs to take the time to select his ammo and become intimately familiar with this gun in order to use it to its potential. Its like a semi-auto 22, it won't chew up every type of ammo, but once you find the one that works with that particular gun, it runs smooth.

The bull-pup design we were all in favor of, except for my brother and his flying ear-muffs, the recoil was great, loading was easy so long as its on a table and the compactness of the gun is great.

[IMG][/IMG]

I would not recommend this firearm for the casual hunter/range visitor due to its unique firing action and pickiness on ammo.

I would be interested in testing the firearm if it is still in Nova Scotia, Email sent.

Sponsoring Dealer
    Thank you for the Review Halguy!
    We have never found them to be overly picky with ammo, other than the Winchester White Box.
    Be sure to check out the YouTube video of Grumpy and Mr. Wolverine firing a box of random 50yr old ammo through these things and running smooth. We Run high brass ammo all the time.

Mr. Wolverine keeps getting at Myself and Grumpy for getting hulls all over the place.

A few things I was hoping you would be able to answer for us!
    - How was the condition of the shotgun when you received it? ( I see the Bolt looks a wee bit dry there. )
    - One of the shooters appears to be a lefty, how did he like it?

Mr. Wolverine and Grumpy's Torture Test - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=43OER6C1LyE