Page 19 of 29 FirstFirst ... 91112131415161718192021222324252627 ... LastLast

Thread: Reclassification Status on the BD38 and BD3008?

Hi Everyone:
    If it wasn't for being a member of CGN. I would have never know about, the reclassification BS of the BD38. I have been rather proactive wrt this whole mess, and have been in contact with my MP. She is keenly investigating this serious issue, and we have had a couple of interesting conversations. So its "Watch and Shoot" and "MTF", at this time. As I have been saying from the start, I'm Not Impressed". I wish everyone a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.
    Ursula

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wolverine View Post
    The reclassification of the SSD BD38 came about as when Mike went to court he used the argument that his new gun was no different than the BD38 despite warnings from more experienced dealers not to use that argument. So one of our own forced the “Crown” to order a re-examination of the BD38, you can’t blame the RCMP for that. We have several of these guns in inventory, we have had to sit on them as transfers were frozen. The RCMP lab offered to purchase two from us but I refused fearing what the results would be, it only gave us a little time.

The repercussions are for more serious than just the re-classification of a few BD38 guns, it sets a very dangerous precedent, we are back on that slippery slope, the ease of converting a semi auto firearm into a full auto. This is a position we were faced with when the “Converted class” was created and I had hoped that was all behind us.

Point of information for the new members who may not be aware of it but as a war time expedient the manual bolt action Lee Enfield rifle was converted into a select fire automatic weapon, the Charlton. (That is why the Lee Enfield 10 rd mag had to be specifically exempted as she could be used in a full auto, at the time the legal decision concerning high cap mags used in firearms other than what they had been designed had not been made). Now if a Lee Enfield can be made into a select fire gun, where is the limit?

We have received no direction as to what will happen with the current BD38 guns in Canada, my personal view is that we will be given 90 days to dispose of them or surrender them for compensation.
    Last edited by EMEDiva; 12-24-2012 at 12:14 AM.
    CCFR Member, NFA Member, CSSA Member, CPC Member.
    Arte et Marte
    Wanted. C.A. 12(3) MP38/MP40 and a PPSH41.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wolverine View Post
    The reclassification of the SSD BD38 came about as when Mike went to court he used the argument that his new gun was no different than the BD38 despite warnings from more experienced dealers not to use that argument. So one of our own forced the “Crown” to order a re-examination of the BD38, you can’t blame the RCMP for that.
    Were you at the court hearing ?

Edited to add.. You don't need to answer that as I know you were not there. If you were there you would know that the BD38 was not even discussed. Please stick to the facts.
    Last edited by cracit; 12-23-2012 at 11:39 PM.

Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by cracit View Post
    Were you at the court hearing ?

Edited to add.. You don't need to answer that as I know you were not there. If you were there you would know that the BD38 was not even discussed. Please stick to the facts.
    Obviously then, you were there.....

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Coyote Ugly's Avatar
    Incredible Slow Motion:

[youtube]jG1t_ZQK9_g[/youtube]

Quote Originally Posted by Coyote Ugly View Post

and rather than confiscate or what ever they have planned,

are those parts available to convert a (1) open bolt to:
    Option (2) Closed Bolt, or Option (3) Repeater, if those versions are legal?
    Once a full auto always a full auto. I would suspect that if the guns were modified or reworked they would then become non-grandfathered converted autos.

Super Moderator
    I suppose that there is the possibility that the thing could be broken for parts, the receiver cut up, a new receiver and a new gun built with a different operating system. Then there is the question about how it would be viewed for classification purposes.
    From a "cut your losses" standpoint, surrender for compensation could be the least painful. But the RCMP cannot offer compensation, that would have to be a political decision. The political justification being that the RCMP screwed up by permitting the gun in the first place, and then reversing themselves, thereby penalizing individuals who bought them in good faith.

Expired Business
    Mr WOLVERINE;
    "Good morning John
    Wasn't, meaning to trespass on your forum, since CGN reworked the site I get lost at times. Merry Christmas. "

No need to apologize, always a pleasure to hear your opinions, in this case it should get interesting in the near future....
    MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ALL AT WOLVERINE
    John

Does anyone sell the closed bolt BD38 in Canada ?

CGN frequent flyer
    Hypothetical question: Can these be sold to a 12/2 license holder now...legally????
    Inquiring minds want to know :-)##
    I think your only options are a dealer with the proper designation or a film armourer again with proper designation.

Quote Originally Posted by wrangler4867 View Post
    I think your only options are a dealer with the proper designation or a film armourer again with proper designation.
    I think you are right , and usually "grandfathered" means no new firearms admitted in this class unfortunately.