Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: MI Tavor XL Key Mod Handguard

CGN Ultra frequent flyer TV-PressPass's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TeeJay View Post
    How do these Key mod holes work? I don't get it....I can't find any videos on youtube for attachments etc.....Do you attach rails to these holes, or do these eliminate the rails?
    Here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/KeyMod

KeyMod is an open-source design released for use and distribution in the public domain in an effort to standardize universal attachment systems in the firearm accessories market. The KeyMod system consists of two parts. The KeyMod slot, and the KeyMod nut. The slot is distinctive with a larger diameter through-hole combined with a narrow slot. The slot is chamfered on the backside while the through hole is sized for clearance of a quick-detach sling swivel (approximately 3/8" diameter).

The nut is stepped and the larger diameter end is chamfered around 270 degrees of its diameter. The angled face created is meant to interface with the chamfer on the backside of the KeyMod slot. The full diameter is left intact to create two flats on the nut which align the nut to the slot, and allow it to be indexed to the accessory as well as to the KeyMod slot. This eliminates the need to align the nuts to the holes prior to accessory installation as well as the need for tools to tighten the screw/nut. In most accessories, the screw is swaged after assembly to ensure that it cannot be backed out of the nut. This prevents loss of small parts (screws, nuts or other small parts used in the assembly of the accessory). The spacing of the holes is critical and is based on MIL-STD-1913 spacing to allow the greatest modularity with existing accessories.

The KeyMod specifications call out a "recoil lug" on the accessories which is intended to interface with the larger through hole portion and resist slippage of accessories during counter-recoil. The combination of the angled interface of the nut to the KeyMod slot and the recoil lug to the through hole make for a very strong attachment point which will not slip under harsh recoil or counter recoil. It also provides for an excellent return-to-zero when removed and re-installed.

TV Presspass:
    Thank you for the in-depth description, you are a fountain of knowledge. Do you have an opinion on these hand-guards?
    I enjoy your videos etc. very much..keep it up!!
    “Politicians and diapers must be replaced often, and for the same reason.”
    Mark Twain

CGN Ultra frequent flyer onetwentyish's Avatar
    TV Presspass:
    Thank you for the in-depth description, you are a fountain of knowledge. Do you have an opinion on these hand-guards?
    Im not TVPP, but I would like one to try doing a more "American" thumb over grip. I would like to see which allows the best offhand distance shooting.

[Youtube]xJWXZwmFkfw[/youtube]
    "I dont usually bring targets im more of a dirt shooter." -daniel_250r
    I am the "small fringe minority" with "unacceptable" views.
    CCFR 🍁 CSSA

Quote Originally Posted by onetwentyish View Post
    Im not TVPP, but I would like one to try doing a more "American" thumb over grip. I would like to see which allows the best offhand distance shooting.

[Youtube]xJWXZwmFkfw[/youtube]
    Yes, I too am interested in handling a Tavor with one of these hand guards. It looks to me to be beefier than stock and it might require some very large hands for a thumb over style grip.
    I do like the look of it, especially how the added length covers more barrel.
    For me, the Israeli type grip seems to work best with my stock Tavor, my arms are too long to extent them far enough for the thumb over grip....maybe the added length of this hand guard would remedy that?
    Last edited by TeeJay; 07-28-2014 at 07:35 PM.
    Mark Twain

TV Presspass:
    Hey man thanks for watching!

I don't have an opinion yet. But I do have a $180 charge on my credit card that says I should be forming an opinion soon!

Quote Originally Posted by TV-PressPass View Post
    Hey man thanks for watching!

I don't have an opinion yet. But I do have a $180 charge on my credit card that says I should be forming an opinion soon!
    Great,
    I look forward to your review!
    Mark Twain

So far: it's pretty darn space age!

it really fit on your Tavor! how is the weight?

Its heavier. But it was also pushing 10 lbs with the bipod and Razor on there. I like being able to grip further out for sure.

Without optics, but with all the rail and hand guard pieces, this setup comes in at 8lbs 4oz

Phone photos suck. Here's something good! Click for big:

Last edited by TV-PressPass; 08-01-2014 at 07:24 PM. Reason: Mis-judged weight

I really like it! only one thing to do...

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast