Brutus
CGN Ultra frequent flyer
Fellow enthusiasts of the holy black,
I consider myself a relative newcomer to the muzzleloading rifle world.
In the recent past I've used smoothbore front stuffers for hunting. But the reproduction hawken rifle I now own and has only seen the hunting fields for one full season makes me a novice to this IMO.
I find that after shooting it I spend about three days cleaning the bore, each day about three times in a 24 hour period I run an oily patch and then a dry patch.
On day one it got the full hot soapy water treatment. Now it's wet patch/dry patch sessions.
Is this too much? More importantly, is this too little?
Am I merely cleaning residual Remington oil out of the bore on this third day of cleaning?
The black is gone, but the red-brown is present. I'm not sure if this is corrosion or just left over oil??
opinions???
I consider myself a relative newcomer to the muzzleloading rifle world.
In the recent past I've used smoothbore front stuffers for hunting. But the reproduction hawken rifle I now own and has only seen the hunting fields for one full season makes me a novice to this IMO.
I find that after shooting it I spend about three days cleaning the bore, each day about three times in a 24 hour period I run an oily patch and then a dry patch.
On day one it got the full hot soapy water treatment. Now it's wet patch/dry patch sessions.
Is this too much? More importantly, is this too little?
Am I merely cleaning residual Remington oil out of the bore on this third day of cleaning?
The black is gone, but the red-brown is present. I'm not sure if this is corrosion or just left over oil??
opinions???


















































