My new Cannon

bargainbuyers

CGN Regular
Rating - 100%
64   0   0
Location
Ontario
Picked this up from a fellow who was down sizing.
I plan to shoot an old car with it, Labour day weekend.
Any tips?
Video on page 5.

 
Last edited:
I clicked on the thread thinking it was going to be some desert eagle or a 50bmg lol...
Way better :) , that sir is pretty awesome!! Hope you have some fun with it!!! :)

as far as tips ......take some video, I am sure I ain't the only one that would enjoy seeing it in action!!!
 
Spent the day shootin' one with a 2 5/8" bore at our open house here, similar to that one although the owner/builder had his turned from a solid (massive) chunk of steel - does a lot of damage. The two years previous we had an old E-150 van to shoot at. The concreted cans we use as shot would go straight through. We busted up the intake, exhaust manifolds and the accessories but never hit the block square on unfortunately (not for lack of trying).

We were using 6 ounces of Fg today...it could take a lot more but the concrete or the can itself just separates/disintegrates if you push it too hard. If you have a barrel made from DOM and laminated (as it looks like you might just from the photos) then I don't know what a safe charge might be - I hear good things about that design, just don't know what might be safe as far as load data goes.

Good luck & nice find!!

Some tips:

- SWAB the bore between firings to ensure there ain't no hot embers in there!
- Load your powder into a tinfoil pouch or Ziploc baggy & pierce it through the fuse hole just before you're ready to fire.
- Always make sure that the "end" of the tinfoil or baggy (the folded part after you get the powder into it) is against the projectile, so that you CAN pierce the foil/baggy and access the powder...
- Tape your powder charge to the projectile with masking tape
- If your projectile is loose (on our cans) we run a couple bands of tape & grease them. This has proven very effective for us...
- Make sure the person touching it off doesn't have their feet or body in the way of the carriage, they do roll back
- Have fun...
 
Last edited:
North Coast. Excellent tips . thank u.

Mark K.
3 inch bore, going to have a machine shop make me up some projectiles.
From my research I figure on starting at 6 oz of powder for a load.
I also ordered some Tannerite. Going to blow some things up as well.
Elmo is getting a pound.
 
Hey North Coast,
Any tips for cleaning and storing

We swab out the bore liberally after a shoot with plain old tapwater, then just lightly oil. Stored in a shop after that, so far so good! This is the fourth year I've shot this particular cannon and the bore is fine with that simple strategy (no rust).

Tannerite eh? Boy that would that make a neat event even neater...
 
Picked this up from a fellow who was down sizing.
I plan to shoot an old car with it, Labour day weekend.
Any tips?


Thats a real nice looking cannon!!! A real beauty!

I would love to try her out with some canister shot!

For cleaning, I would treat it the same as one of my muskets, at the end of the day use lots of plain ol water down the tube then swab er out with mineral spirits then oil the beast with a quality oil....If your not going to use it for a bit swab the bore with high pressure grease and you have no worries with regards to rust.

I would wheel that into the bush and just blast away...AWESOME bit of kit.


If you get sick of it....can we trade? :)
 
Thanks for the cleaning tips. Will do.
I assume a mop cut down would make a good swab.
Sourcing some fuse now. Rusty woods looks like the place.

We actually don't use a fuse, after shoving a pick into the tinfoil to access the charge, we simply fill up the touch hole with 4f - a LOT of 4f (it's a deep hole!). Then we use a linstock to touch it off (but even a torch or something would work).

Yup our swab is basically a cut down mop.
 
Back
Top Bottom