Need Help to identify and estimate 4 guns

spirit

Regular
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Hi!!!

The brother of a friend of mine just buy a old house and find 4 old guns in it. My friend send me those pics (sorry for the poor quality pictures) of the gun and asking me the value of them. But I don't know much about old guns and they are not in good condition. Can you help me? Maybe some are not Antic but I think it a good place to ask. Especially for two of them.

One seem old... It do not have any sign or mark on it. Someone can help me?

Thank You in advance!

Is there any place (website) where I can find information from serial number and the model? I want to identify the fabrication year....

Here are the guns :

Marlin 1893 30-30 caliber : What is the year and the value?








Winshester 1894 38-55 caliber : What is the year and the value?








Hopkins And Allen 12 gauge : This company have been founded in 1868 and went bankrupt in 1916. So the gun is certainly old. But what can be is value?








And finally this unknow gun : Someone know anything about it?






Thank you for your Help!!!
 
Last edited:
Winchester 1894 made 1896


Not much value in the 2 doubles. If the bores are decent and they lock up tight I would say 200-300 optimistically. The second gun looks like a common belgian gun.

I'm not to well versed on winchester values as they tend to range wildly.

The 1893 looks pretty rusty so that would detract. The 1894 doesn't look to bad on the outside.

Any chance of bore pictures on the winchester ?
 
Last edited:
Your first one appears to be a Marlin Model 1893 (saddle ring) carbine 1st Model ie not a Winchester.

According to the Blue Book - Manufactured 1893-1915 - specific dating of early Marlins seems to be a mess. The fact that is has a letter prefix and uses Model 1893 vice just 1893 seems to imply a later build ie 1913-1915

Blue book offers 40% is $525US and 10% is $350USD

Pics do not show bore or operating condition etc. IMHO - I would assume it is worth about $400CAD assuming the bore is not bad and it has all bits, stock cracks minor etc.
 
Last edited:
The Model 94 seems to have been built around 1896.

Blue Book offers 60% - $2150USD 40% - $1275USD 10% - $750USD. Says to add approx 25% for calibres other than 30-30 or 32.

As per the Marlin, bore, operation, and wood condition will determin condition. I would also caution that the BB is US and as such, the prices may reflect a hotter market for Winchesters in the US.
 
I suspect that the Marlin 1893 SRC is in better condition than it appears to be. It would respond to some gentle cleaning (not a wire wheel in the garage).
 
Your Marlin was made just before the model 1893 became the model 93. For 4 years they used letter prefixes on the 1893; A 1914, B 1915, C 1916 and D 1917. So your saddle ring carbine is a 1917 gun. The surface rust should clean up nicely with a little oil and bronze wool. Don't be too aggressive as you may remove what little blue and colour case remain on the rifle. Value cleaned up would be around $500 if it has a good bore in my area.
The 1894 looks to be in decent shape. Octagon barrel and .38/55 calibre make it more desirable. If the bore is good it is a $1200 rifle I would think.
The two old shotguns are wall hangers with the H&A being worth a little more than the old Belgian hammer gun, say $200 and $100 respectively. My 2 cents.
 
Thank You CMichaud.

When you said the Winchester have been made around 1896 you base your evaluation on what? I'm curious to know.

Thank you :)


The Model 94 seems to have been built around 1896.

Blue Book offers 60% - $2150USD 40% - $1275USD 10% - $750USD. Says to add approx 25% for calibres other than 30-30 or 32.

As per the Marlin, bore, operation, and wood condition will determin condition. I would also caution that the BB is US and as such, the prices may reflect a hotter market for Winchesters in the US.
 
Thank You CMichaud.

When you said the Winchester have been made around 1896 you base your evaluation on what? I'm curious to know.

Thank you :)

Go to Proofhouse.com and you can look your 1894 serial number up for yourself. The Blue Book values mean absolutely nothing in Canada. You will see 94's in worse condition than yours priced accordingly and they sit there forever. Yours looks like a very decent old rifle and you might get more than $1200 if the bore is very good but not anywhere near the U.S. prices.
 
The Blue Book values mean absolutely nothing in Canada.

I find it provides ballparks that need to be adjusted for our market while also providing comparative sampling on condition. It is for this reason that I cautioned the OP re the US market being different.

Condition assessment on the OP rifle is difficult as has been noted ie without seeing it up close to inspect for operation, bore, surface and cosmetic. Using the BB word-picture condition guide and what I can see in the photos, I would assess it as 30-40% (which assumes that bore is decent).

The BB price range is thus 1300-1500 CAD. Actually not far off from Mr Webb's assessment "you might get more than $1200 if the bore is very good"

Back to the question from the OP: I used h t t p://www.winchesterguns.com/support/files/images/wfa/2012-All/2012-Articles/Winchester-Manufacture-Dates-by-Year----2012-Scanned-Documents.pdf[/B] for the serial number look-up
 
I find it provides ballparks that need to be adjusted for our market while also providing comparative sampling on condition. It is for this reason that I cautioned the OP re the US market being different.

Condition assessment on the OP rifle is difficult as has been noted ie without seeing it up close to inspect for operation, bore, surface and cosmetic. Using the BB word-picture condition guide and what I can see in the photos, I would assess it as 30-40% (which assumes that bore is decent).

The BB price range is thus 1300-1500 CAD. Actually not far off from Mr Webb's assessment "you might get more than $1200 if the bore is very good"

Back to the question from the OP: I used h t t p://www.winchesterguns.com/support/files/images/wfa/2012-All/2012-Articles/Winchester-Manufacture-Dates-by-Year----2012-Scanned-Documents.pdf[/B] for the serial number look-up

its a 1894 with a unknown bore condition and in a odd ball caliber I know I would never pay nowhere near $1200 for it with a perfect bore it is just a 1894 Winchester they are everywhere
 
Yes they are everywhere and with a perfect bore the value would go up substantially. 38-55 isn't really an oddball. It's just not your same old .30-.30

I think with a good bore that gun would be quite valuable and even more so in the US.

Good thing you aren't the one buying it then because I'm sure your price would probably be the same as you would offer for a 1894 winchester .30-.30 made in 1986 but is all rusty now.

I mean they are all just winchesters eh ? 73 76 86 92 94 new or old same thing doesn't matter.... :p

McLean
 
its a 1894 with a unknown bore condition and in a odd ball caliber I know I would never pay nowhere near $1200 for it with a perfect bore it is just a 1894 Winchester they are everywhere

If you are talking old 1894 Winchesters the .38/55 is not an "oddball". It is THE most desired chambering of the 1894 by collectors everywhere and that is a fact. No rhyme or reason to it, just like the .32 WS(.32 SPECIAL) is the least desired by collectors even though production numbers were lower than the .30WCF.
 
From the muzzle looks like it could use a good cleaning. For decent bore pics you can cut two vees in a cardboard box and lay the rifle in the vees with the action open, shine a bore light into the breech and take a pic from the muzzle end. Clean her first well and don't oil the bore before photographing. I have seen some pretty scabby bores clean up nicely.
 
Ok thank you. But from what you see they are good bore????


From the muzzle looks like it could use a good cleaning. For decent bore pics you can cut two vees in a cardboard box and lay the rifle in the vees with the action open, shine a bore light into the breech and take a pic from the muzzle end. Clean her first well and don't oil the bore before photographing. I have seen some pretty scabby bores clean up nicely.
 
Back
Top Bottom