Anyone make their own powder?

H Wally

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
Rating - 100%
193   0   0
So I know that you can buy blackpowder, but does anyone here make it themselves? I have done some research, and tried it, but I've never managed anything remotely successful (usually a little "pfft" at best). I suppose I'll eventually cave and buy it, but as I like to do it myself, I was hoping someone here would have advice.
 
You want advice? For the cost of the components, the time involved and the aggrievation and the poor end result, just go buy it like everyone else does. The time spent researching and making it is better spent using store bought powder at the range working up the right load for your gun.
I'm not trying to be a smarty pants with you. I've thought of making my own powder too but some things aren't worth the trouble and the older you get the more you realize your time is worth something because you realize you have less of it than you thought.
 
I used to have a Foxfire book that had a way to make it.

I agree its alot of work but not a bad thing to know how to do either!
 
H Wally said:
So I know that you can buy blackpowder, but does anyone here make it themselves? I have done some research, and tried it, but I've never managed anything remotely successful (usually a little "pfft" at best). I suppose I'll eventually cave and buy it, but as I like to do it myself, I was hoping someone here would have advice.

HWally.
I pmed you re. black powder.
It looks like you live very close to the dealer.
 
I have made many pounds of the stuff for cannon shooting. I would say it was equal to store bought for power , but it is time consuming to get it right.That said , it is not difficult . Go to " rec.pyrotechnics" and do a search. Lots of info there. Don't talk about homemade bombs etc :eek:
 
theDuck said:
I've thought of making my own powder too but some things aren't worth the trouble and the older you get the more you realize your time is worth something because you realize you have less of it than you thought.

How old are you? Just to be prepared:)
 
Martin said:
How old are you? Just to be prepared:)
As you have mostly guessed, I'm young(ish). I was mainly asking because of the fact that as a university student I am blessed with the combination of lack of money and fair amounts of energy. I also really really really like to figure out how to make things work.

juanvaldez said:
What did you use for charcoal? The type of charcoal is one of the most crucial variables. Charcoal briquettes do not work.
I probably messed up here; I made it. I used dogwood. I then powdered it with a mortar and pestle and screened it, but I didn't do it as the site suggests below... this is probably my problem.

juanvaldez said:
Use this guide and you can make good powder cheaply.


Excellent, just what the doctor ordered. I'll revive this thread next time I get up to the cabin to try it out.
Thanks,
H Wally
 
Last edited by a moderator:
There is something special about being able to make yourn own stuff, whether it be a telescope, a scale model steam engine or your own muzzle loader complete with powder.
I respect anyone that can do so.

Now you have got me interested, I might just make my own, just because!
 
I too am extremely interested in making high sulfur 4f for my flash pans and low sulfur bp for my percussion guns.

Last year, I called a Wpg. chemical supplier for KNO3 but they had a 100 buck minimum order, which meant 150lbs of the stuff!!

I don't trust stump remover as I need to know what's going into my rifle, but wtf was I going to do with 150lbs of Saltpeter????
 
tootall said:
There is something special about being able to make yourn own stuff, whether it be a telescope, a scale model steam engine or your own muzzle loader complete with powder.
I respect anyone that can do so.

Now you have got me interested, I might just make my own, just because!
Hmm, that also raises another question - probably another thread, but I don't want to start a whole new one. If one were to make, from base materials, a smoothbore long barreled musket fired by home made trigger and hammer striking a cap, would that be ok? (aside from danger to user etc, just legalities). I know that people fabricate parts for them all the time, but is making the entire musket a different deal? (yes I'm aware it's a big project, I am just doing some checking that I have had on my mind for a while)


Ritchie: 150lbs? Psh, the pbvious solution is to make a cannon, a big one.
 
A rifle kit would be the place to start, they come in different degrees of finishing. The trick is to match one to your abilities.Makeing one from "scratch" the first time would open a bag of snakes for you. :eek:
As far as legality, a percussion long gun has to be registered same as the rest.
Cheers nessy.
 
After perusing the site "" I noticed that he uses the term 'parts' as in 100 parts saltpetre . I believe he should have clarified this to mean BY WEIGHT , as in "100 grams of saltpetre ". Compositions like this must be made by weight measurements not volume.Obviously you can substitute ounces/pounds or grams.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
[" I noticed that he uses the term 'parts' as in 100 parts saltpetre . I believe he should have clarified this to mean BY WEIGHT , as in "100 grams of saltpetre ". Compositions like this must be made by weight measurements not volume.Obviously you can substitute ounces/pounds or grams.[/quote]

If you want to be really fussy use mass instead of weight or be sure to measure everything at the same altitude ;) Ratios are always considered to be mass/mass unless otherwise stated eg 40% by volume for hooch. Apparently the English don't follow this convention....so good point to make.


"When tested, Bacons powder burned very slowly. I tested it on a handgonne (not a handgun). It didn't even propel the ball out of the barrel. All the pressure escaped through the touch hole. So I assumed, Bacon as an Englishman measured his parts by volume and not by weight as we continental Europeans do. Even today, all English give their cooking recipes in cups and spoons and not by weight.
Did Bacon really mean parts by volume, so his recipe would be given by weight:
100 p Saltpeter + 27 p Coal + 45 p Sulfur"
 
Last edited by a moderator:
It will be a while until I can show my results. Judging by my res's policy on such dangerous objects as toasters, halogen lightbulbs, and electric kettles I don't think they'd be incredibly accepting of me making gunpowder and a flintlock in my room. Once I'm home however, give me 3 weeks, or 2 at the cabin and I'll have results for eveyone:D
 
Back
Top Bottom