Storing and preserving antiques

Thenoobgunsmith

CGN Regular
Rating - 100%
42   0   0
Location
Ontario
Hi all,

I was wondering what you guys think the best way to store your antique revolvers and rifles is? My biggest concern is rust, I have not had any antiques rust in any way yet but I know it is possible. I have heard to keep guns wrapped in a cotton cloth, some say with oil some without. If you do this what oil have you had success with?

Is there an oil or product designed for long term storage that includes shooting once or twice a year? I use hopes lubricatiting oil and bore cleaner usually. Wondering if they are safe on antiques.

What about guns with chrome plating, or that are blued or with wood grips. Is there any special considerations?

Thanks
TNG
 
You won't find many replies because I'm guessing there is many results if you use the search function. I'm not trying to be an ass, but without searching, from random readings, would be silicon packets or dehumidifier to prevent rust. With normal gun oil and either of the mentioned practices should be sufficient. If you want to store for longer periods, the cosmoline they coat the sks in would do I'm sure. I hope this helps direct you in the right search

Edit. Sorry, I thought your post was from this afternoon. Hopefully some experience will post soon!
 
long term storage but shooting them once or twice a year? not really "long term storage". how do you store them now between outings to shoot them?
I use G96 on mine for storage in between shooting days. most of mine have not been fired since August of last year:(. no rust or other stuff present. renaissance wax is good on the wood anyway.
 
The single biggest thing you can do to help prevent rust or degradation is keep a stable environment and monitor it. Temperatures of about 20 degrees Celsius and less than 50 percent relative humidity will also help prevent mold and mildew from forming. Rennaisance was is also a very good product.
 
Thank you to all who replied, I have some new ideas so I appreciate it.

Currently I clean the bore and cylinders with hoppes bore cleaner, cotton swabs and a brass brush, then lubricate with hoppes oil on the moving parts. Then I wipe down the outside worth one of those pre oiled cloths until clean, then once over with a new oiled cloth.

Do you need to remove the conservators wax before you shoot it?
 
WD-40 is infamous for drying out into a sticky mess and is not particularly effective as a long-term corrosion inhibitor.

Yes and it evaporates I use G 96 it drys to the touch but protects great. I use fluid film in the bores and chambers as it stays wet being lanolin based
 
This. For literally everything. Steel? Check. Nickle? Check. Wood? Check. Leather? Yep. Brass, Stainless, bluing? Check,check,check...they'll use this stuff for everything even preserving paper documents believe it or not.
Apparently finding some may be an issue. Lee Valley is where I got mine from and a little dab will do. A little goes a long way.

DSCF2922.jpg

images

16700+before.jpg
 
Back
Top Bottom