Most reliable 22LR rifle?

We don't normally get Labrador cold here, but I've shot a lot of grouse with a Savage MK2 topped with a cheap 3-9x rimfire scope.

Savage makes a model with peep sights too, and it comes in both single shot (Mark I) and mag fed (Mark II) varieties.

View attachment 1208466
I had a copy of the rifle pictured minus the accu trigger. It was a one hole Lazer at 25 yards using federal gold match ammo . It regularly shot .3" groups Could never understand why this rifle is not offered in the thumb hole stock .
 
An inexpensive magazine fed bolt action (truck gun) with open sights would be my choice, for grouse.
True story, but you know how many cooey rifles I've seen for sale missing the magazines that the owners are trying to sell? Good luck finding magazines for a 70-90 year old rifle no longer made lol. Newer made guns are a different story, but you lose the mag in the field and your day is hooped.
I would amend your statement to a tube feed magazine and that would be a winner winner chicken dinner for me.
 
With a bolt action you will have to strip down the bolt and “winterize “ the lube same with a semi
This ^.

Depending upon how cold your winters are, any gun can become unreliable if the lube thickens and gums up in extreme cold. I shoot off the back deck at least a little almost every day, right through the winter. I have usually completely degreased and then dry-graphite-lubed a rimfire specifically for outdoor use. If I just take any old gun that's been normally lubed and shoots great all year long, it will often stop working or become inconsistent after a very short period in the cold. Same holds true for centerfire rifles; mid-winter coyote hunts call for guns that are properly prepared.

I'm talking here about temps in the -30C and lower range, not just 0/-10/-20 stuff.
 
True story, but you know how many cooey rifles I've seen for sale missing the magazines that the owners are trying to sell? Good luck finding magazines for a 70-90 year old rifle no longer made lol. Newer made guns are a different story, but you lose the mag in the field and your day is hooped.
I would amend your statement to a tube feed magazine and that would be a winner winner chicken dinner for me.
Lol, if you lose the magazine...you'll have a single-shot rifle...which is what the OP was asking for...:)
 
Its a slight departure from what you are asking, but I would vote for a CZ. 455 or if you want new, a 457. Both have been exceptionally reliable in my opinion and have capacity for follow up shots. And you can still find parts if you ever need them. Accidents happen and stuff breaks. You could have the most reliable gun in the world but if you can't get parts, defeats the whole idea.
 
Its a slight departure from what you are asking, but I would vote for a CZ. 455 or if you want new, a 457. Both have been exceptionally reliable in my opinion and have capacity for follow up shots. And you can still find parts if you ever need them. Accidents happen and stuff breaks. You could have the most reliable gun in the world but if you can't get parts, defeats the whole idea.
Try and order/stock Cz parts see how far you get
 
Try and order/stock Cz parts see how far you get
Sure, it's not a Ruger 10/22, but in my opinion it's a super reliable option that isn't obsolete and still has parts being made for it.

It's just what I would recommend for what the OP wants. I would take my CZ in a long term survival scenario over any other 22lr I have ever owned. YMMV
 
I think a Cooey 39 single shot would suit the OP just right.

Load, line up your shot and pull trigger.

But damn I forgot to pull the cocking piece, LoL 😂
 
Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I pulled the trigger and ordered a Crickett.


It did check all my checkboxes.
  • Compact (16 inch barrel)
  • Leightweight (under 3 pounds)
  • Wood stock
  • Peep sight
  • Single shot
  • Simple and basic design


cricket.jpg


Now, I am a shotgun guy and have always hunted grouse with a shotgun.

What ammo are you folks using for chickens?
And where do you shoot them? Head or body?

Subsonic? CCI Stingers? Shorts?
Hollow point? Plated? Lead round nose?
 
Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I pulled the trigger and ordered a Crickett.


It did check all my checkboxes.
  • Compact (16 inch barrel)
  • Leightweight (under 3 pounds)
  • Wood stock
  • Peep sight
  • Single shot
  • Simple and basic design


cricket.jpg


Now, I am a shotgun guy and have always hunted grouse with a shotgun.

What ammo are you folks using for chickens?
And where do you shoot them? Head or body?

Subsonic? CCI Stingers? Shorts?
Hollow point? Plated? Lead round nose?
Shoots everything, reliable and super safe for kids to use.

The peep sight on my kid's rifle was so so maybe it's better on the adult sized stock version.

However, I took it off and installed a light 1.5x4 scope instead. It made a big difference in accuracy for the user...
 
Lots of guns will fit the bill here. I’ve got to think that the most reliable gun would probably be a single shot with open sights. In old models, Winchester (Model 67, 68’s) and lots of old Cooeys (Model 39, 75, 78 or 82) would certainly be great.

My previous “most reliable” gun would have to be my Ruger Model 77/22 with a Zytel stock. That gun was a tank. In a pinch, I cold feed it single shot without a magazine by sticking a shell in the chamber with two fingers in the mag well. Now, they’ve become collectors guns.
IMG_5505.jpeg

I wouldn’t balk if I was forced to rely on a CZ 452, (or 455 or 457). The magazine is the weak link in a “alone in the bush” scenario. I hear you can load it single shot without a magazine by turning it upside down and dropping a shelll into the mag well (however, I’ll admit I have never tried that).
IMG_1813.jpeg
 
Last edited:
I think the most reliable would be the simplest... and that goes to the Gevarm .22 open bolt semi auto. Nothing simpler that I know of. Firing pins NEVER break. Post 14 sort of suggested it.
 
Back
Top Bottom