Alexander Mackenzie Online Muzzleloader Shoot

Smokepole

CGN frequent flyer
Rating - 100%
86   0   0
Here it is, the official thread for the online shoot. I will take a few clips from the original thread, found here: http://www.canadiangunnutz.com/forum/showthread.php?t=318914
This thread is open for discussions and photos from the shoot/guns etc.
To get things started, maybe a few of you will check in and post some info about your guns you will be using. I think we have a few old hands with the firelocks, and some fresh recruits on the expedition. It's all in fun, the scoring system will allow everyone to compete. The entry 'fee' will be the offering of a blanket prize and everyone will take home something in the end. Registration for this shoot is closed. I hope this one is a success, and we can do it again another time.




The shoot will be a scenario based on the journey of Alexander Mackenzie and the expedition to find the Northwest Passage in 1793. The shooter in this match will take on the persona of a young scout/hunter who works with Mackenzie and his crew of ten men from Fort Chipewyan. The match will be based around factual parts of the journey, with a bit of artistic licence granted to make an interesting shoot. Historicaly, the journey was packed with adventure and dangers, including events like capsized canoes and attacks from hostile natives. Eventually the crew had to abandon the canoes and make their way on foot down the 'grease trail'. It was a trade route used by natives to carry goods between the coastal people, Bella Coolas and the central interior bands of Carrier and Sekani. As the expedition traveled, their native guides abandonded them and new guides had to be bartered for. This led to trade sessions with the friendly villages the men encountered. Mackenzie reported noticing British and American coins, steel tools and glass beads amongst the natives' belongings, and took it to be a sign that indeed, the Pacific and the trade that occoured there, couldn't be far off. After locating the Pacific, the expedition literally had to flee back into the mountains to avoid angry Bella Bella natives. They were angry after an unpleasant encounter with Captain Vancouver's men who had explored and mapped the coast a few weeks earlier on their maritime voyage on the Discovery.

The match will be set up to reflect some of the hardships encountered by Mackenzie's men.
The shooter will be mailed out a packet with some targets and other items. Each of 8 or 10 shooting stations will have an envelope that is to be opened when the shooter is ready and on the firing line. The envelope will contain instructions to set up the target and shoot the single station, as well as scoring instructions. Scores can be added to, or subtracted from, depending on the outcome of the shoot and points will be awarded for things other than shooting, Handicaps will be levied for certain actions during the course. When each station is complete, the shooter will open another 'dispatch' envelope and follow the instructions. All the stations will be shot on a single day. The score will be tallied and submitted. Winners will have first choice of the blanket prizes, and everyone will get a chance to take home something.
As for a timeline - The actual shoot will take place in April.



Here is the list of who's in:
nessy357
bdft
Crooked Barrel Jed
Manwithbeers
flinchlock
royce
vetchcreekcaddis
cooner
cooterdog
Deadeye Doug
rrcarr
d.bala

Good luck, gentlemen!
If your name is on the list, keep an eye on this thread. What you read here will help you get a better score in the event. Although the shoot is based on a trail walk format the actual shooting can take place in one location, anywhere you have 40 yards range where you can shoot novelty style targets.
 
Last edited:
I'm going to put all the blanket prize pictures into one posting to keep it neat and aid in the prize choices later. So anyone who has photos of blanket prizes please get them to me by PM or email. They must get to me before we start the shoot! Other than that, the thread is open to posting pictures, etc..
I'm sure we would like to hear about the guns everyone will be using. If anyone plans on donning traditional gear for the shoot, some pictures would be nice! In fact, there might be a few points awarded towards your end score for posting a picture or two of your shoot in the thread (thats a strong hint!). In this shoot you will be awarded, or have points deducted, for all kinds of things not related to your score on target... (here comes another hint to gain a few points on your score) so be sure to pack your shooting bag and kit well. You will need a 'bag' to shoot from, rather than a range box. If you don't have a traditional bag, a fanny-pack or haversack will do. The shoot will be scenario style, so you must carry on your person everything you will need for the event. Keep in mind you will be taking on the persona of a young hunter/scout with the Alexander Mackenzie expedition. Extra points will be awarded for your preparedness. In order to 'stay alive' and finish the shoot, you may have to improvise, or make do with what you have.
 
Thanks again Smokepole for taking this on.

Here's my rifle I'll be using, it's a 50 cal Jeager (with Scottish influence)


BobsYeager19.jpg


]

Cheers nessy.
 
Last edited:
Blanket Prizes

Blanket prize pictures:

Mold.jpg
cooterdog says he's in for the prize exchange. Any size single cavity Lee mold from WSS.

Ballbag.jpg
nessy357 - Ball Bag. The opening will take up to .69 cal. balls. (Chosen by cooner)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

002.jpg
Manwithbeers - I made some of these fire-steels up as a trade item for the really cool geo-caches I visit. I’ve included instructions. Often one stroke of the steel results in flame on the tinder.
I doubled up the tinder - shaved Fatwood. I tossed in a few matchstick sized bits of fatwood that will light the coarser burning material for your fire and a couple of Vaseline soaked cotton balls in case things get really wet. I added a personal signature item and made a pouch from some recycled leather that will keep everything together. It will all fit in a small pocket or possibles bag and can be carried anytime you’re outdoors. There is enough tinder available for several fires, but keep some for an emergency.
It will be shipped express post to whomever claims it. Good luck to all and enjoy! I hope someone gets some enjoyment from this and that the winner remembers this match every time they carry it. Edited for length... lol. Smokepole (Chosen by Crooked Barrel Jed)--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Trailwalktomahawk.jpg
Crooked Barrel Jed - It is a pipe axe,the one that track of the wolf sells as a kit. The head looks black in the pic, but it is actually browned. Never been smoked, but it's ready to be stuffed with your favorite tabaky and lit up.
Jed - (Chosen as First Place, by rrcarr)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Blanketprizebenchrest.jpg
blanketprize.jpg
royce - Handmade adjustable, folding cross sticks. (Chosen by d.bala)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

flask.jpg
bdft - Walker Flask. (Chosen by Dead Eye Doug)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

GetAttachment.jpg
Vetchcreekcaddis - here's my prize . a .50 cal cleaning kit which consists of:
-one homemade .50 cal jag
-one homemade .50 cal ball puller
-one .50 cal bore brush
-one .50 cal wool bore swab
-200 cotton cleaning patches
-one 8oz bottle of Hoppe's # 9 black powder solvent and patch lubricant
This the first attempt at any kind of lathe work so if the prize winner is not happy with the quality of the jag and ball puller, I will ship some store bought ones, I just though it would be a nicer prize knowing someone took the time to make something and not just bought it at the store. Thanks, Bob (Chosen by Flinchlock)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

blanketprize.jpg
rrcarr - Peltor hearing protecters (Bull's eye 9). (Chosen by Manwithbeers)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

dougballbag.jpg
Deadeye Doug - Ball Bag (Chosen by nessy357)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

borebutter.jpg
Flinchlock - The bore butter and the 5 English flints are my donation for the blanket prize. (Chosen by Bdft)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

blanketdbala.jpg
d.bala: my prize will be a new tackle box that can be used for a range box to hold all that stuff you never seem to have enough of. (Chosen by Royce)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

blanketprize-1.jpg
cooner - I have a green river, j russell and co. skinning knife blank 5", as well as 100 round balls or bullets (your pick of any 100 of the bullets in .45 or .50 cal, thompson, mine or round ball). cooner - (Chosen by Vetchcreekcaddis)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
 
Last edited:
Nice fire lock there nessy! Right in the spirit of the shoot too. You would have been very welcome in the original expedition with such a fine rifle!

The blanket prize photos are trickling in. Looking good fellows! I will add photos to the above thread as I receive them.

Most of the printing for the actual shoot is complete. I have two pages to compose and print off yet. I will package and mail out the dispatches next week.
 
Wow, three (edit: five!) out of twelve rifles so far and they are all flinters! Good stuff!

Remember fellows - Pictures of blanket prizes are due. Get 'em to me by email , or PM.
I'm making packages to mail out this week, so shooting could start soon...

Flinchlock sent a picture of his .50cal southern mountain rifle.
borebutterrifle.jpg
 
Last edited:
All the packets are sent out a couple days ago. Let me know if you don't get one.

You can do the shoot any time in April. Have your scores in by April 30. Don't leak details of the shoot to others who haven't had a chance to shoot.


Anyone who dosn't have blanket prize pictures in to me... git 'em in, they're due before the shoot.
 
got my envelope! how long do you figger it will take to shoot?(wondering if I could shoot it in an evening)
Jed

You have about eight stations to set up and shoot. I think a fellow should get through it in an evening. (15 min per station would be about 2 hours. Some stations may take more or less time.)
Be sure you have time, the whole thing must be shot at one sitting.
 
Our package arrived today, but will not be able to do anything until 3 of my colleagues put up their blanket prize. hint hint nudge nudge wink wink:agree:
 
Wow, I learned a lot doing this shoot. I wish I was more prepared, the wind played a role in my low score but mostly I'm easy to beat. :) My newbieness shines through. I got all the way through it though and had a really great time. Thanks too Smokepole for putting it together. Thanks to The Brucer for taking the photos. Good luck everyone.



 
Back
Top Bottom