Which antique revolver would you carry in the bush?

Thanks for the excellent suggestions. I'll make a list and start searching for them. I'm guessing the US has a lot more available than Canada.

I'm often into the Chilcotins on my mountain bike and a long arm is not feasible, and that is some major bear country. A decent antique handgun should do the trick.
 
Thanks for the excellent suggestions. I'll make a list and start searching for them. I'm guessing the US has a lot more available than Canada.

I'm often into the Chilcotins on my mountain bike and a long arm is not feasible, and that is some major bear country. A decent antique handgun should do the trick.

Just one?? What if the bears gang up on you?

A lot of wildlife has been reported to be gang-banging around the woods a lot lately. I wouldn't take chance if I were you... just look at the pic below:

GangstaKermit.jpg

(Btw... Kermit here ALWAYS votes Liberal ever since he crossed over from "Muppets" to the criminal underworld, just like any other criminal scumbag. Just look at the nice hardware Liberals allow them to have! You might find yourself "outgunned"... so another six-shooter is a must! ;))

:D
 
.41 LC is a tough one to get supplies for... feasible, but there are easier options out there.

I'm setup for it. Got brass, dies, small Lee press. I think my first mold arrived in the mail today and will pick it up tomorrow and will soon start casting my own boolits. I can shoot smokeless in them, but would like to try black powder.
 
Thanks for the excellent suggestions. I'll make a list and start searching for them. I'm guessing the US has a lot more available than Canada.

I'm often into the Chilcotins on my mountain bike and a long arm is not feasible, and that is some major bear country. A decent antique handgun should do the trick.

For real world bear defence (in Canada), surley one of the super short shotguns would be a better choice than any of the mentioned handguns?
 
me agree X2

X3. Even the 30-30 Model 94 packs several times the punch any of these old-timers do. But having it on your belt when you need it is more useful than the rifle left leaning against a tree when you have a bear sitting on your chest.
 
Yeah, I'm not too sure about the legality of hauling a de-registered antique around. I am the proud papa of a near mint Merwin Hulbert & Co Double Action Pocket Model in .32 MH. The only way to use that in a bear attack is on yourself.


But, if there was any cartridge with a cap of pre-1898 it would be the .476 Enfield. The revolver they come out of is ugly as they get, but I'm told the cartridge was a pretty good stopper. And yes, iffen a feller has about 15 to 16 thousand laying around, a Bland in .577.

There's no replacement for displacement.
 
For real world bear defence (in Canada), surley one of the super short shotguns would be a better choice than any of the mentioned handguns?

I've taken my wife and kids into remote areas of crown land, canoeing and camping, for about 20 years. The big problem with a shotgun or rifle is that you have to carry it in your hand. When you are portaging, fishing, making supper, etc. You do not have a free hand. A sidearm is right there ready to use at all times. Maybe city folk think a person can be carrying a shotgun all day long but the reality of bush life is that most of the time you need both hands for other things. That is why a sidearm is important to provide security for your family in the bush. I've run into quite a few bears and one cougar over the years and they were always when we were not expecting them. Only once did I actually have a rifle in hand and that was because I was already hunting. I still bring a rifle into the bush with me but because of the kids it is cased and usually unloaded in camp. I depend on a sidearm as a safe (i.e. The kids can't get at it) and ready tool to protect my family until I can get to my rifle.
 
Win 38-55,
Can't agree more. As they say, "A pistol in hand is worth a cannon in the bush" lol or something like that.
I was, however, referring to the super short shotties that guys have shoulder holsters for. 8-12" barrels. (thats why I qualified it to here in Canada not in the USA)
Besides, it shouldn't be a problem fitting some sort of scaboard to a mountain bike?
 
hmmm Bavarian percusion festivitys pistol .....16 inchs long, and .90cal if you miss your bear its 21 lbs you can use as a club.
 
he had the worlds largest military revolver on there not long ago some austrian made thing I think, in close to .60 cal .
 
I've taken my wife and kids into remote areas of crown land, canoeing and camping, for about 20 years. The big problem with a shotgun or rifle is that you have to carry it in your hand. When you are portaging, fishing, making supper, etc. You do not have a free hand. A sidearm is right there ready to use at all times. Maybe city folk think a person can be carrying a shotgun all day long but the reality of bush life is that most of the time you need both hands for other things. That is why a sidearm is important to provide security for your family in the bush. I've run into quite a few bears and one cougar over the years and they were always when we were not expecting them. Only once did I actually have a rifle in hand and that was because I was already hunting. I still bring a rifle into the bush with me but because of the kids it is cased and usually unloaded in camp. I depend on a sidearm as a safe (i.e. The kids can't get at it) and ready tool to protect my family until I can get to my rifle.

Very well said :) Thats it exactly.
 
I want this thing... whatever it is, haha (looks like it *could* be a pre-1898, as it is of a "Webley-Pryse" style break-top design)

:D

revolver%20hellboy.jpg



P.S.
Does Hellboy even register his iron? Just wondering... :p
 
Yeah, I'm not too sure about the legality of hauling a de-registered antique around. I am the proud papa of a near mint Merwin Hulbert & Co Double Action Pocket Model in .32 MH. The only way to use that in a bear attack is on yourself.


But, if there was any cartridge with a cap of pre-1898 it would be the .476 Enfield. The revolver they come out of is ugly as they get, but I'm told the cartridge was a pretty good stopper. And yes, iffen a feller has about 15 to 16 thousand laying around, a Bland in .577.

There's no replacement for displacement.

I believe the .476 Enfield you refer to is the same cartridge as the .455 webley revolver.
 
"...No Permits and No Registration to Transpost and NO Trigger lock on Perscribed Antique Handguns..." Right, but it doesn't allow you to carry an antique handgun on your person. Instantly stops being a benign antique if you carry it.
"...exempts it from all the ATT & registry BS..." Just that.
 
Back
Top Bottom