'holy grail' of canadian military handgun collecting acquired!

GrantR

CGN frequent flyer
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
REJOICE WITH ME!

I am pleased to announce that, after considerable soul searching followed by a bit of dickering, I have struck a deal with a Canadian antique arms dealer to purchase from him an example of the "Holy Grail" of Canadian Military Handgun collecting - a Canada Militia London Colt "Navy" revolver, 811 of which were acquired in 1855/56 by the pre-Confederation Province of Canada as part of the equipment for issue to Troops of Volunteer Militia Cavalry. Being the rarest .... and costliest, of course ..... this was the only original 1855-1955 primary-issue Canadian military handgun I did not yet have in my collection ..... until now!

Pre-Confederation Canada (a union of Lower Canada and Upper Canada - the southernmost parts of present-day Quebec and Ontario, respectively) along with the other self-governing colonies in the Empire had just had a much-expanded responsibility for its own military defense thrust upon it, as a result of Britain's involvement in the Crimean War. A new Militia Act was passed in 1855, under which the Militia was reorganized and expanded, and which also provided for the acquisition and distribution of the necessary arms and equipment. (All arms and equipment had been provided by Britain, previously.)

The variation of the Colt Model 1851 percussion revolver manufactured in Colt's London Factory was the issue handgun for Militia Cavalry, who were organized in Troops of (nominally) 50 men. Each revolver was to be marked either "U.C." (Upper Canada) or "L.C." (Lower Canada) over a Letter ("A", "B", etc.) denoting the specific Cavalry Troop, over a "rack number" for that revolver within the allotment issued to that Troop. Records indicate that 255 revolvers were issued and appropriately marked in Lower Canada, and that there were 556 "Upper Canada Colts". Only about 200 of these revolvers are known to have survived.

The revolver I have just acquired is one of the Upper Canada Colts - number 4 of those issued to "B" Troop, headquartered at St. Catharines .....

CullodenHouse_upper_canada_colt_185.jpg


CullodenHouse_upper_canada_colt_-1.jpg


In case you wish to read more, here are some relevant "period" documents. (Click on each thumbnail to view - you may have to click again on the image which comes up in my Photobucket album, to see it full size.)

Militia General Order of 16 May 1856, dealing with the distribution of newly acquired Arms. Note that over half of this document relates specifically to the newfangled "six-shooting Colt's pistol", including fairly detailed instructions for loading and cleaning -


Receipt signed by the Captain of an Upper Canada Cavalry Troop - in this case. Troop "I", headquartered at Essex - for the arms and equipment to be issued to members of his Troop -


Bond of Indemnity entered into by a Trooper and Guarantor (likely his father, or perhaps a brother) for the return of the Colt revolver issued to him. Note that this Bond relates to revolver number 16 issued in the same St. Catharines Troop as my revolver!
 
Thanks, Guys! (As you can probably tell, I am mighty pleased! :dancingbanana: )

Sweet!
Can I come over and shoot it? :D
No ..... ;)

Time will tell, but I suspect this may be the very first of my collection of Canadian military firearms that I decide not to shoot.

But I'd let you look at it .... :rolleyes: Then we could go out and shoot this one, which has been "holding the spot" in my collection until now ...... It is a Uberti reproduction London Model, one of a sort of "limited edition commemorative" project done by Albion Arms in the mid 1970's. They were the Canadian Distributor for Uberti back then, and offered a maximum of 811 of these, each one to be marked like one of the original Canada Colts would have been marked. I gather that they weren't all produced, the orders not even totaling 811 ....

51navy02.jpg
 
That musta cost you a couple hundred bucks, eh? :p

Grant, I hope you bring it out to show everyone in May for the long weekend shoot, I really want to see it.

Do you know the history of its travels after its service until you got it?
 
Back
Top Bottom