Antique pistol options?

PAINTBALL GUY 3

Regular
EE Expired
Rating - 96.4%
27   1   0
Location
ont.
Hey all,

So I recently learned about antique statues pistols and it's got me really excited. Needing no special licence to own or shoot antique pistols is a very appealing idea.;) But From what I understand, the laws have really limited the caliber choice. So this brings me to my question........

What are my caliber options? I see there's a very nice .32 RF pistol in the EE now but I would imagine getting the Rimfire ammo for it would be very hard and pricy. I'm liking the idea of .32 caiber just for cheaper reloading, so could a .32 RF pistol be converted to a .32 CF cailber without statues change? Any other small caiber's I could look into?

Also, if a guy were to make a longer barrel (like 4-7") and put it on an antique pistol, would that change the statues of it?

Anywho, thanks guys.

Ti
 
"...converted to a .32 CF cailber without status change?..." No. .32 centrefires, except those that are exempt( high end target pistols), regardless of barrel length, are prohibited.
 
I have a 32 CF thats AOK as a perscribed antique in the EE the 32 CF Protector round that can be made from shortened 32 CF anything pretty much.

Its one of the only 32 CF you can have as antique and its barrel is very short to :p
 
I have a 32 CF thats AOK as a perscribed antique in the EE the 32 CF Protector round that can be made from shortened 32 CF anything pretty much.

Its one of the only 32 CF you can have as antique and its barrel is very short to :p

interesting , it looks like it was built by a watch maker .

how long is the barrel on that ?
it kind of looks like it may be cut off at the edge of the pic .
 
interesting , it looks like it was built by a watch maker .

how long is the barrel on that ?
it kind of looks like it may be cut off at the edge of the pic .

The barrel is smooth bore and 1 inch and 3/4 long ;)
they were all made smooth bore.

Theses were stick in the guts or earhole type weapons in the 1880s.
Its the only Palm pistol thats CF tho so easyer to reload most are rf.


Here it is with the cover off amost squeezed enough to fire you can see the fireing pin is back.
P1010012_17.jpg
 

These are so cool.. I remember watching a Steven Segal movie (from the late 80's or early 90's) and he had one of those exact palm pistols for self-defense. I can't remember the title though, but it was definitely a movie where Steven Segal was using one of those on bad guys. :)

I always thought that it was a very cool & unusual piece (kind of like an icon of small handguns), but didn't realize it was this old! I could've bet it was a modern contraption until I found out the truth, lol!
 
QUOTE]What are my caliber options? I see there's a very nice .32 RF pistol in the EE now but I would imagine getting the Rimfire ammo for it would be very hard and pricy.[/QUOTE]

HC collections makes reloadable cases with offset acorn blanks as primers, While I make them with centered blanks. HC is fairly expensive and mine are $5 each but they are very durable and can be loaded with .32 or .33 round balls (buckshot). Starpuss also is in the process of getting a run of new ammo made.

could a .32 RF pistol be converted to a .32 CF cailber without statues change?

Generally no. There are however a few antique status .32 cf revolvers built before the creation of the .32 colt or .32 S&W ammo but they are very hard to find. Also the bore diameter of a .32 rf is larger than .32 colt due to the use of a heeled bullet.

Any other small caiber's I could look into?

8mm Lebel revolver is cheap to load and the 1892 revolvers are very well built. You might also try 44 bulldog/44webley and 455

Also, if a guy were to make a longer barrel (like 4-7") and put it on an antique pistol, would that change the statues of it?

No. Barrel length has nothing to do with antiques. Put whatever length barrel on it you want. Hope all this helps.
 
Get a 476/455 Webley Green Military Revolver. When you pick it up, you can feel the power of the British Empire in your hand! Mine can with the holster, the stories it could tell!
 
I remember watching a Steven Segal movie (from the late 80's or early 90's) and he had one of those exact palm pistols for self-defense. I can't remember the title though, but it was definitely a movie where Steven Segal was using one of those on bad guys.

I think it was Marked for Death. The gun was never actually fired in the movie, Seagal just assembled it in his old bedroom.
 
I think it was Marked for Death. The gun was never actually fired in the movie, Seagal just assembled it in his old bedroom.

That was back when he was fit and not haveing to wear a big trench coat all the time LOL

Heres what the gun looks like with the cover on.

P1010014_17.jpg
 
antique pistol

to get around all the issues with cartridge guns , why not go percussion revolver.? generally they are as powerful caliber to caliber and give a lot more fun i find. colt pocket in .32 which is a.325 same as .32 rimfire. a lot cheaper to fire and the piece in working order is not much more than a good rim-fire piece. say 600- or so. just my opinion. regards
 
Well thanks for the help, fellas. I'm taking note of the pistols and caibers your suggesting. But pistols chambered in .32 RF seem to be the cheapest from what I'v seen in the EE. I'd love to have a colt or some other nice pistol but not for what I've been seeing them go for lately.

BTW, if anyone has a S&W model 1 1/2 (or similar) and wants to trade, please PM me.

Thanks guys.:)

Ti
 
I'd love to have a colt or some other nice pistol but not for what I've been seeing them go for lately

Ti

LOL, I'm no expert, but I havn't seen prices dropping.
Antiques usually rise in value, since they aren't making them anymore. LOL
The odds of them becoming less expensive (leaving out politically introduced complications ie registery or outright banning) is slight.

Buy only quality, what you can afford and get in as soon as you can.IMHO
 
I don't reload so I was wondering if there are any antique pistols/revolvers in .357/9mm/44/45, etc. Basically anything I can go to the store and buy :p
 
Back
Top Bottom