Stopped while carrying?

Leonidas

CGN frequent flyer
Rating - 98.9%
89   1   1
Location
Cowtown
Has anyone here had an encounter with a LEO while packing an antique (open carried) for wildlife protection? Curious as to what the response was. Sorry if this has been covered but searches just seem turn up alot of speculation....
 
Last edited:
I usually just bring mine to the range, but I have brought them with me in the bush up north a few times. I bring a copy of the regs and an FRT printout with me stating antique status,

To be honest though I never try to attract any attention to me and I don't allow passerbys to see my antique iron.

I usually will swing it around to my backside.

Keep everything legit and back yourself up with paperwork, don't do anything foolish and don't spook anyone.

I've never been stopped before, don't plan to and hopefully never am.
 
Oh_noes_fire.jpg



:)
 
Just don't.
I'll be carrying mine (tanker style) this season under a jacket.
Cougars in the treeline north of the house.
I won't be flashing it around at the fish cops or LEO.
Take a chance on getting shot to prove a point? Uh-uh, dumb
 
look in the stickies. The same question gets asked weekly and the answers are not clear - too many people here don't know the difference between fact and opinion. Unfortunately for you it's hard to tell the difference.
 
Antique gun carry

Re: carrying of antique pistols - I asked the same question a while back from a 'been-there-done-that' perspective. One guy said he encountered a yuppy couple who thought his gun was 'kewl'. He was lucky that they didn't get on their cell phone and call in the cops.
All the 'expert' armchair legal opinions aren't worth a pinch of coon s**t when the matter goes down for real. Relying on the smarts, discretion or common sense of a LEO is a court case in waiting and your gun 'rights' in jeopardy.
Go for it; we need a test case before the law. Your 'expert' gun 'friends' will be behind you all the way - so far behind you won't be able to see them.

A neighbour of mine was just days ago attacked by a bear that came charging after his dog on a trail he walks daily with his wife. This was not an habituated bear and not a garbage bear as the area is pristine wilderness. My wife and I have encountered a bear on the same trail when I was packing a '63 Sharps carbine. The bear treed himself and we backed off, allowing him to retreat.

This is typical behaviour of a dog that encounters a bear. The bear took a swipe at him which he fended off with his arm, leaving a pair of claw marks above his wrist. His dog and a second dog along for the walk by this time were worrying the bear which gave up the attack and took off.

He didn't have time to use the bear spray he always packs on their walks. I asked him if he thought he would have had time to draw a concealed pistol and the answer was "No". In his excitement and concern for his wife and the two dogs, he didn't think he'd want to be flinging lead around anyway.

If you've ever seen two large dogs in a scrap, magnify that image by 10 if the scenario includes an angry bear. You really want to shoot into that melee?
 
OK clearly the op did not ask what the law was or what your opinion was. Which all of you have decided to jump down his throat with. Yes there is a sticky on the legal side, THis question is quite obviously unless you didn't read it at all about personal encounters in the forest while carrying an antique. This is NOT about what the laws are as well all seem to know. SO regardless of your irrelevant personal opinions on the subject please keep your replies to personal experience encountering the "law" in the wilderness whilst carrying an antique arm.

I'm sure however we would all appreciate hearing stories where they have come in handy defending against nature as well.

I wonder what some think of our community when someone asks a question and gets berated for it. In this anti gun country we live in we need to stick together not stand divided. So pull your heads out of down below and support each other for crying out loud.

Rant over.

McLean
 
I'm sure however we would all appreciate hearing stories where they have come in handy defending against nature as well.

My comment was more directed at the type of responses these types of threads get. When we don't have a controversial thread on the BP and antiques forums there is very little going on at all, while anything controversial gets tons of posts and usually ends up locked due to all the bickering. I would be more than happy to hear of any actual incidents however I'm not sure there are any board members here who have dealt with LEOs while carrying. I have discussed it with my local OPP officers and CO and they are aware that I do it but I've only ever once met a hiker while shooting an antique pistol.
 
tactical 870, yes that much is true. This forum seems to be not as popular which I sad more people should shot bp. Im doing my part haha

im curious what was there opinion and thoughts on you carrying ?

McLean
 
Back
Top Bottom