Flintlock Muzzleloaders

ikedaboy

Regular
EE Expired
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Location
ON
I'm a newbie to the traditional ways but looking towards it more and more.. Anywhere to find new mfg flintlock style muzzle loaders oin CDN? or is it all percusion cap style?
 
they should show up on the EE from time to time. I would suggest joining a local fish and game club if you have not already. With any luck they will have a black powder section which can help and advise you. There is a thread in this section on where to get good quality kits; hopefully that will give you some ideas

cheers mooncoon
 
I'm a newbie to the traditional ways but looking towards it more and more.. Anywhere to find new mfg flintlock style muzzle loaders oin CDN? or is it all percusion cap style?

I don't know where in Ontario you are, but you can check out ShootersChoice in Waterloo...They always have a great selection of flintlock style muzzle loaders...Price's are reasonable as well....
 
I don't know where in Ontario you are, but you can check out ShootersChoice in Waterloo...They always have a great selection of flintlock style muzzle loaders...Price's are reasonable as well....

Brant County. I'll check them out. I am planning on doing some fishing up there this wk.
 
I bought my Caywood fowler from Track of the Wolf - there are no restrictions to shipping flintlock long guns over the border.

That being said, have a look in Shooters Choice first. They have a great shop and it's always best to support the local economy if you can. In my case, I was just not able to find what I was looking for in Canada so I had to go state-side.
 
Got my smokepole up at Ell wood epps. Don't get to shoot often, but shooting with a flinter is the most fun i've had. Lot more involved then simply loading a mag.
 
I've was thinking about a flinter myself but now I'm planning on going with a Traditions Hawken percussion kit.

Look at the Traditions brand stuff, it's the lowest price and probably most available. They have a few models around $360 to $420. To get real walnut you need to spend more money nowadays.

From what I understand, you should have a clear understanding on what you want to use if for before you choose your muzzleloader. If you're only going to shoot round ball, look for a twist rate slower than 1:60. If you're going to shoot some sabots and some roundball your twist around 1:48 would be a compromise between them both.

You can go to the Cabelas website and browse the blackpowder and muzzleloader sections to get familiar with what out there but they're pretty much out of stock of all flintlocks from what I can see.
 
I got a great deal on this website when I got a CVA Hawken last month. That was my first black powder gun. Now I am already looking for a Kentucky flinter in .36.

It is a wonderful addiction.
 
I have a traditions flint penslyvannia and its great very solid and well built gun it was a good deal at around 700 new.

Only thing ive found is the touch hole is very picky, have to clean between shots more often and use 4F for best results in the pan. The no name spanish flint hawken I have will eat anything and shoot all day without a problem never had to clean it inbetween shots hardly at all.

Mclean
 
and a note to new shooters use only real bp in flinters you will not have good luck with pyrodex or 777

someone was talking about sabots id stay away from them in flinters and any real muzzleloader like a cap and ball gun or flinter as there make for the new inline guns and really have no place in this kind of shooting

a round ball will stop any game in north america

id go for a trditions gun for a new shooter some thing with a round ball twist for .50 1 in 60" works good the 1 in 48" only likes light charges behind a round ball (speeking from experience) then you can come to me and buy a really nice gun built the way you want :p
 
I think when buying a gun made or assembled by someone else it is important to see good close up photos of examples of his/her work. There is a wide range of abilities out there and I think it is important to see examples. Customers also vary considerably in their criteria and the important thing is to match or exceed the criteria that is expected

cheers mooncoon
 
loyalist arms has some flintlocks, mostly military replicas as I recall.

stay away from those guns there made in india and not vary safe i seen one pistol from there the breech plug was not even touching the threads only thing that was holding it on was the screw on the tang

i would never fire any gun made in india thay use what ever that can slavage bores vary way too much and like i said above there just not safe and the lock times are vary slow there not well made

theres lots of companys selling these things dont be fooled buy the price there not worth a penny as there just not good quality id save and buy from a place like Pedersoli

ive had people ask the price for some guns thay wanted me to make when i told them well thay said its too much but thats about the going rate for a gun made in north america parts are not cheap but you getting what you pay for :D and thats good quality
 
india made flint!!!

Wow wait one minute

india made is a good way to buy flint musket , just to get your head at the right place because i know a bunch of re-eanactors using india made musket.....

you pay what you get and Blair from Loyalist finish and verify his products, so

NO BASHING please!!!

There is a waranty from Loyalist about this muskets from india!!!

Don't panic!!!

The russians are coming!!!!;)
 
The russians are coming!!!! ?????

Anyway....I've had India made guns and MY experience has been positive. Much more so then my experience with the EARLIER Spanish guns but that was with the flintlock guns they made. I had an Indian made Charleville and it never failed me. I shot numerous trail walks with it and no problems. The only thing I had to do was re-temper the frizzen. The only reason I moved it was that it gobbled lead and the recoil was a bit heavy for target shooting. A gunsmith friend examined the lock (the heart of all guns) and was very impressed with the quality of workmanship. I think if you get one from a reputable dealer you will get a very good gun. Loyalist is a good company. I think they have a sale on....

Cheers.
 
Some folks have extensive internet experience with Indian made guns. Others have extensive experience with actual guns.
There are reports of varying quality control with Indian guns. Dealing with a reputable business is the best practice.
Anyone offering to custom make guns will have a photo album of his work, references from customers, etc.
For a Cdn example have a look at John Clark's work on his website.
 
i bought a pistol from them i was not happy with what i got

heres the gun i seens with the tang screw holding the breech plug in

barrelsplit3.jpg

Barrelsplit1.jpg


this barrel also split this was with a blank charge if i remember correctly at a reenactment as you can see there using some cheap dom type tubing but its not the right kind it the kind thats not hot welded (aka the steel is heated to welding temp then drawn trough the die this is the right kind. the stuff used here is electric resistance welded witch is not the best to use)

this is not the only gun ive heard of with the breech plug not fitting right there someone i know who sent one back

im not bashing but untill i see proof these places are using good barrels i will always say there not safe as one mite be and one mite not even if it pass's the proof test it could still split with a field load (the guns coming from india are not proofed at all)

in the end the locks are not really good almost all of them dont line up to the touch hole right

just like khyber pass martini's(made in Afghanistan and there made to fake a martini made today not in the late 1800s or early 1900's like thay say on them ) if i found one of these for sale i would buy it and plug the bore and make it a wall hanger there are some guns that are just not safe
 
This is a old pictures here, and there is a report from a metalurgist regarding the quality of the steel.

This incident has been basically ruled as operator error.

My old computer had the report from the metalurgist that 100% backed up the quality of the metal.

If you go to the muzzleloadingforum.com and ask Im sure someone will have a copy of it.

Many reenactors treat their muskets with less then disregard.
 
Back
Top Bottom