Lyman .54 rifle

Chumlee Bumsnag

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
Rating - 100%
31   0   0
Location
BC
I just picked up a Lyman muzzle loader from a friend that isn't into shooting anymore. It appears to be a Lyman Trade rifle with the 28 inch barrel and only one wedge. What I'm curious about are the double set triggers and the brass plated storage area on the butt. These features don't appear to be available in the Trade model but are in the Great Plains rifles. Is it possible someone upgraded this one?
I'm new at BP and would appreciate any comments on this rifles quality and accuracy. The barrel has made in Italy stamped on the side. and Lyman Middlefield, Conn. on top.

Lyman .54 002.jpg
Lyman .54 003.jpg
Lyman .54 004.jpg
 

Attachments

  • Lyman .54 002.jpg
    Lyman .54 002.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 75
  • Lyman .54 003.jpg
    Lyman .54 003.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 53
  • Lyman .54 004.jpg
    Lyman .54 004.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 49
I built a Great Plains .54 from a Lyman kit in or about 1990. Great rifle. Had the barrel professionally browned and did the rest myself.

Mine has steel furniture entirely. No brass. It also has double set triggers.

It is entirely possible someone upgraded your trade rifle; as I recall from having to order some parts, the inletting is the same (or very close) so swapping the features is entirely possible.

Either way, you've got a nice rifle there. Now...since I built mine I also had to hand polish (and even shape) all the lockwork and the furniture. Not sure how the factory QC process was/is with Lyman, but generally I haven't heard much for complaints.

Fire away! Good luck
 
The rifle was made by Investarm in Italy for Lyman and Safari Arms of Toronto (Safari Arms now out of business). There may be other makes out there. Investarm also sell their own line of black powder arms.
 
Last edited:
The rifle was made by Investarm in Italy for Lyman and Safari Arms of Toronto (now out of business). There may be other makes out there. Investarm also sell their own line of black powder arms.

Interesting...I still see the kits around, any idea if this is just NOS or if they have a new supplier; and if so then any idea on whether the quality is good/bad/unchanged?

I'm asking as I have been thinking about buying another kit to get the kids involved in. For my own part I was looking more at Track of the Wolf for parts & pieces.

Sorry not trying to highjack the thread here.
 
Investarm products are of excellent quality and as already stated they make firearms for other companies then re-brand with their own name. I would think the kits would be of the same quality except for finishing of course.
 
Thanks for the info. I should be able to get it to the range next Sunday. It has a Williams rear peep sight on it that I really like. The previous owner gave me a cleaning kit, patches,balls, powder measure and pretty much everything I need. I can't wait.
 
It appears what you have is an Investarms (as previously stated, an Italian manufacturer)
Model 120A BP ML Rifle; 2 triggers (ie with set trigger), patchbox, single wedge, 28" barrel.
The newer muzzleloaders sold by Lyman, and made by Investarms, do not have the patchboxes. In addition the Trade Rifle, with 28" barrel, has 1 trigger with 1 wedge; the Great Plains, with 32" barrel, has 2 triggers with 2 wedges.
In addition, all have the traditional iron sights. Someone has installed a different rear sight on yours. I would suggest you have an older model sold in years past.
First, check the parts of the barrel you can see, and you are looking for 2 capital letters, possibly inside a square. If you cannot find, then read further.
Did you receive an Owners Manual with it? If so, find section about removing barrel (do slow and careful, so as not to break anything), and remove barrel. Then look on the underside for the letters. These are not very big.
If you want, EMail me the letters, and I have a Proof Mark Year of Make chart, which could tell us what year your rifle was made.
I hope this helps
 
Last edited:
Thanks for the info. I should be able to get it to the range next Sunday. It has a Williams rear peep sight on it that I really like. The previous owner gave me a cleaning kit, patches,balls, powder measure and pretty much everything I need. I can't wait.
I am also a newbie BP shooter and I have already learned much reading the various threads. I inherited my BP rifle and it turns out I really enjoy shooting it.
 
I have a Safari Arms .50 calibre Hawken percussion, 28 inch barrel, brass fittings, patch box and double set triggers. I'm not sure but I think it has a 1-48 barrel twist. The rifle was made in Italy by Investarm for Safari. My father purchased the rifle c1979 and I have since inherited the rifle. Needless to say, it has become one of my never sell rifles.
 
I am almost certain it is Investarms because it looks almost exactly like my Spaghetti Plains Rifle..only yours has a much nicer patchbox and a peep sight where as mine does not.

It is the only BP gun I have and I have shot the daylights out of it and it just keeps chuggin'. Mine has a 1:48 twist that gave me kiniptions - that is okay for target work but for hunting? Patched round balls started flying hither and yon when powder charges went past 60 grains - and if I want to shoot an animal I want a little more pepper on my projectiles! The common 400+ REAL bullets would not stabilize even when I loaded them in front of 120 grains - they keyholed on the target.

I finally broke down and cast a shorty LEE conical of around 300 grains and they fly straight and true! I figure that in front of 80 grains of 2F should be good enough to handle anything I want to shoot at.

Sorry to blather - but I hope that helps out some. You are in for a world of fun.
 
Good stuff Glenfilthie. I get good accuracy in my 50 cal with a patched RB and 90 grains of Pyrodex RS. Haven't tried anything else at this time. I pulled this picture off the internet, note the symbol on the left; Investarm stamp.

2ivnytv.jpg
 
What you have is the Lyman Plains Rifle.

No, he doesn't. As has been explained above, the Great Plains Rifle has TWO barrel wedges.

What I think you have is a Safari Arms, or some other Hawkin type made by Investarm (they make the Cabelas Hawkins also) with a Lyman barrel on it.
Which is exactly what I have, only I went the other way and put a 50 cal Lyman barrel on my 54 cal Safari Arms
 
The nipple threads should also be metric.Green mt also makes custom barrels that are drop in.The 1-70" ball barrel is deadly out to 100 yards or more ,never tried it past there.But have heart shot WT's at 90.I use a .018 patch,.530 home cast ball and 100gr of FFG.It shot 1/4" larger groups with 110gr.Make your own patch lube and cleaning solution it's a lot cheaper...real BP is the way to go as hangfires with 777 were unpleasant and common with #11 mag caps.May have been better to use a musket cap nipple........Harold
 
Last edited:
Liquid moose milk for lubing bullet patches. 3oz NAPA #765-1526/soluble cutting + grinding oil, 2 oz Murphy's Oil Soap,1 oz Witch Hazel,8 oz 91% Isopropyl Alcohol .......pillow ticking works great.......Harold
 
Back
Top Bottom