No antique letter without registration

jakerazer

Regular
Rating - 100%
91   0   0
Location
GVRD
Just for you gents information. I have recently requested an antique letter. The CFC will not issue a letter unless you first register the antique as a firearm. I am not to concerned myself but I would imagine this would rumple some feathers for some folks. ;)

all the best
 
Just for you gents information. I have recently requested an antique letter. The CFC will not issue a letter unless you first register the antique as a firearm. I am not to concerned myself but I would imagine this would rumple some feathers for some folks. ;)

all the best

Its been like that for years nothing new has happened for 3 years. The guns are not registered the Tecs take them out of the registration system as they OK there antique status and give you a letter.
There is a record of the letter tho as there was with the old letter system they saved copys to always have.
I dont get letters on every gun anymore except for the ones that there might be some questions about because its right close to the cut off date then a letters nice to have.
But guns that are obviously antique why bother with a letter. you dont need them by law.
 
Last edited:
Thanks Dingus
I thought the registration part was voluntary. So I was just a little surprized when the tech gave me a reference number and told me to complete the registration before they issue a letter.
 
ant

I have never had to register an antque in order to get a status letter.

first time was today.

I used to just send an email directly to the tech's with all the info and they would process and email me back a letter. Now they provided me with the info needed, referred me back to the cfc to register and then provide them with the confirmation number before issueing the status letter.

Same end just another level of crap.

oh well.
 
ant

this is basically what it says


Canadian Firearms Registry Registre canadien des armes à feu
ANTIQUE FIREARM
This letter is in reference to your request regarding the above mentioned firearm.
It has been determined, based on the information you supplied, that this firearm meets the definition of an "antique firearm" as set out in the Criminal Code under subsection 84(1). Pursuant to subsection 84(3)(a) of the Criminal Code Antique firearms are deemed not to be a firearm.
This letter provides confirmation that you may lawfully possess this particular firearm without a valid licence or registration certificate. It is recommended that you retain this letter with the antique firearm as confirmation of its status.
Please be advised that the following regulations do apply to antique firearms in order to deter loss, theft and accidents:
• Regulations for Storage, Display, Transportation and Handling of Firearms by Individuals
• Regulations for Storage, Display and Transportation of Firearms and Other Weapons by Businesses
Should you require additional information, please do not hesitate to contact our Firearms Technologists at: 1-800-731-4000 extension 1090.
General information is available on our website at
Make - Marque
Smith & Wesson
Model - Modèle
Top Break No 3 Double Action New Model
Serial number - Numéro de série 62
 
I like antique letters because if i'm at a range shooting it, or transporting it where-ever and some dumb ass who doesnt know its antique starts harrasing me i have the letter as proof to tell him/her to f**k off.
 
BUT .. But what it looks more to me is like a organised and slow step towards registering antique firearms.. keeping an illegal shadow database of people requesting antique arms letters.. and then ultimately using this to track owners and enforce a more effective LEGAL system of tracking and elimination ownership merging it with current firearms classes.

see execration below of email from the skylab HQ



Antique Requests must including the following information prior to our unit authorizing a letter declaring the legal class of "Antique" to firearms:

1) Make
2) Model
3) Serial number
4) Calibre configuration
5) Firearm license number (FAC), if you have one
6) Full Mailing address, if no FAC

7) Indicate how you wish to receive the letter, via email or regular post

Any Canadian in with a license for the Possession & Acquisition of Firearms, known as a PAL, must attempt the registration of all their firearms regardless of the firearm's potential legal classification.


If you do not have a PAL, then you must supply us with your complete mailing address and contact information, that way we have an accurate record of your request. We can then issue you a letter declaring the firearm's legal class for the purpose of importing it (or them) into Canada.

"Antique" class firearms will be processed in the same manner as regular firearms, but instead of generating a registration certificate, a formal letter declaring the legal class of your firearm as "Antique" will be issued to you.





So I wonder what the new lettering process is? As technically no registry requirements should exist beyond midnight(except in Quebec and with restricted/prohibs) are they still going to "register" our antiques before they get deregistered/lettered? Say you want a letter for antique long gun, curious what their excuse for collecting your info is going to be?
 
Last edited:
they dont have any excuse,
they can want to and then can..
reasoning is to keep track of who has requested what, but why do the have antique letters then associated with you going back 3 or 4 years.. when they didnt even have your address or last name.. (they associate it by email.. ) i send from several emails so there is probably several nameless "files" as well,

Photoshop thing is not the best idea, it will work for sure... but for reasons i wont mention its not a great idea.
 
Maybe this is a matter of semantics, but one doesn't register the gun. One only applies to register the gun. What I have done (as recently as two weeks ago) is to first speak to one of the technicians at the CFC to obtain verbal confirmation of the antique status. They provide their verifier's number and the FRT number for the specific antique. One then completes the application for registration on line.

Even while the application is in process, a note on the application page indicates the gun's antique classification. In due course (anywhere from a day to a few weeks), the system processes the application for registration and officially confirms that the antique is not a firearm and cannot be registered. The letter puts that status in writing. There is no registration number and no registration certificate. The letter with the serial number of the gun confirms the antique status.

Please correct me if I am wrong, but I doubt that a search of the CPIC or other database by LEOs will turn up an antique registration application. (unlike for other handguns that will come up in a check by LEOs) For me, the peace of mind that a letter provides outweighs any concerns about an antique entry in the CFC computer database. If one is ever stopped by a CO and they see the antique, the letter can save a LOT of trouble.
 
Maybe this is a matter of semantics, but one doesn't register the gun. One only applies to register the gun. What I have done (as recently as two weeks ago) is to first speak to one of the technicians at the CFC to obtain verbal confirmation of the antique status. They provide their verifier's number and the FRT number for the specific antique. One then completes the application for registration on line.

Even while the application is in process, a note on the application page indicates the gun's antique classification. In due course (anywhere from a day to a few weeks), the system processes the application for registration and officially confirms that the antique is not a firearm and cannot be registered. The letter puts that status in writing. There is no registration number and no registration certificate. The letter with the serial number of the gun confirms the antique status.

Please correct me if I am wrong, but I doubt that a search of the CPIC or other database by LEOs will turn up an antique registration application. (unlike for other handguns that will come up in a check by LEOs) For me, the peace of mind that a letter provides outweighs any concerns about an antique entry in the CFC computer database. If one is ever stopped by a CO and they see the antique, the letter can save a LOT of trouble.

Personally, I doubt very much that the record of the application/classification will be expunged. You have your copy of the letter, surely they must keep theirs.
 
I simply look the info up then carry a copy of the laws instead of a letter. I figure it says right in the law no requirement for paper work what so ever. I just have to go this is blank model all of them are antique firearms here is a copy of the current laws regarding them. see no paper work or id required thats it.

The police don't even know the current laws on certain things and knowing all the laws is something that is unrealistic to expect from a police officer. Some might know some might not.
 
Maybe this is a matter of semantics, but one doesn't register the gun. One only applies to register the gun. What I have done (as recently as two weeks ago) is to first speak to one of the technicians at the CFC to obtain verbal confirmation of the antique status. They provide their verifier's number and the FRT number for the specific antique. One then completes the application for registration on line.

Even while the application is in process, a note on the application page indicates the gun's antique classification. In due course (anywhere from a day to a few weeks), the system processes the application for registration and officially confirms that the antique is not a firearm and cannot be registered. The letter puts that status in writing. There is no registration number and no registration certificate. The letter with the serial number of the gun confirms the antique status.

Please correct me if I am wrong, but I doubt that a search of the CPIC or other database by LEOs will turn up an antique registration application. (unlike for other handguns that will come up in a check by LEOs) For me, the peace of mind that a letter provides outweighs any concerns about an antique entry in the CFC computer database. If one is ever stopped by a CO and they see the antique, the letter can save a LOT of trouble.

Ever do an FOI request on yourself ?.....:yingyang:

The antique-status letters stick to your record but good !......:redface:
 
The application is put through to be rejected as such, so the technicians can deem it an antique. They told me it is the NEW way of doing it and by their tone , I believe they find it as much a pain in the ass as us! I think most of the researchers are volunteers or thats what they call them and I have found them to be quite pleasant and as helpfull as they can be.
The application and processing of the letter is not a guarantee that I am or have bought a particular firearm, in fact I have already had a letter almost put through only to have the deal fall through due to an honest seller who inspected the gun closely after selling it to me and found some hidden problems!!
I called and cancelled the letter request but I may not next time ,it may be too late. We are only requesting a letter of antique status, you don't have to prove ownership.
However when it comes through the border, provided you bought it from the U.S. there will be a record of who brought it into the country! You also may then have sold it 2 months later when you decided it wasn't the gun for you!
There need not be any record of that or any pal or rpal check. That Antique firearm is then in the wind. That is one of a number of good reasons to purchase from the Antique dealers here, such as Dingus. If the have the type of Antique you want, then you only have to send the money. The letter is done along with the importing. Your name goes on nothing!
 
Ever do an FOI request on yourself ?.....:yingyang:

The antique-status letters stick to your record but good !......:redface:

I don't doubt that many government agencies and private companies have many types of records about us. If you want to see misinformation about yourself, just run a credit check sometime with several different credit rating agencies. Invasion of our privacy is part of the price we pay for living in this technologically oriented modern world. What's the alternative? I don't know of one that isn't more trouble than it is worth.

For someone that owns no registered handguns, I might partially agree with your point. But if one legally owns even one restricted or prohibited handgun, one already will be identified as a gun owner if a police officer runs a check before coming to your home. I don't think the same applies with antiques. After all, they are not firearms; the letter says that. Either way, it's not something I lose sleep over.
 
It's annoying that if we want get a "de-registered antique" certificate to avoid possible hassles, we are required to follow this procedure.

But face it, our 'personal' info is anything but. All sorts of stuff is kept on file. So if it's a matter of principle, i.e. "I don't like the idea of government having records of my owning this antique", it's hopeless, IMO.

Any fantasies one might entertain about living a la 1880, free of all but minimal government regulation, are a lost dream for now.
 
It's a defacto registration. Law enforcement in commonwealth countries has historically been an agent of the queen, and not the citizenry. Get used to it.

The good news is the record is not worth the paper it's printed on. You are much better off not going for an antique letter. Like Dingus, I will only do it on models that are close to the cut off. Some pistols, like MKI and MKII webley .455 service revolver are ALL antique, and it says so in the FRT. A copy of the FRT or a letter stating it is antique is just as good for import as the antique letter, with the bonus that there is no record in your file, either.
 
Back
Top Bottom