- Location
- Algoma region
Hello Gentlemen,
Today,Thanks to one of our members I became the steward of a fantastic historical arm, A original Colt 1849.
Her serial number falls within 38***, anyone with production dates/information I would love to know.
This one comes with a bit of a interesting history tagged to it, being rediscovered after a cabin fire, she was found somewhere in the structure.
So far I have only given her a cursory inspection and a generous oiling with breakfree.
Some screws need replacing, she needs a new mainspring as the present one looks like a altered saw blade.
The wedge comes out but the barrel is still frozen on the arbor pin, the cylinder moves and indexes.
The bore is dark with lots of rifling.
So far I believe I will need to replace the main spring, some internal parts and the nipples, not to mention the grips.
So here you are a antique Percussion Colt 1849 5 shot that's been in Canada for a long while!
I am tickled to be able to work on it, shes a real beauty!
Today,Thanks to one of our members I became the steward of a fantastic historical arm, A original Colt 1849.
Her serial number falls within 38***, anyone with production dates/information I would love to know.
This one comes with a bit of a interesting history tagged to it, being rediscovered after a cabin fire, she was found somewhere in the structure.
So far I have only given her a cursory inspection and a generous oiling with breakfree.
Some screws need replacing, she needs a new mainspring as the present one looks like a altered saw blade.
The wedge comes out but the barrel is still frozen on the arbor pin, the cylinder moves and indexes.
The bore is dark with lots of rifling.
So far I believe I will need to replace the main spring, some internal parts and the nipples, not to mention the grips.
So here you are a antique Percussion Colt 1849 5 shot that's been in Canada for a long while!
I am tickled to be able to work on it, shes a real beauty!
Last edited:




























Jethunter you are just too funny, except that it,s not funny, about that time I had a whole bunch of old guns of my Uncles including a 1860 army and 1861 navy that I had to sell






















