Brown Colt SAA. What to do, what to do..

oldiron

CGN Regular
EE Expired
Rating - 100%
77   0   0
Location
central Alberta
So I got this SAA today, looks better in the pic than in real life. It's quite brown, some pitting. More so on side B. But it's a .41 Colt, built in 1894.
The inside is great. Excellent bore and chambers, very tight action, all clicks crisp. Matching #s, even the grips. So, what happened to the outside.
I was thinking of making the outside match the inside. The price was good, and will likely keep the gun anyway. How far should a guy go, and how much should I spend just for looks?
Or, leave it alone, and shoot Pil cans..

 
If you refinish the gun it ruins any potential collector value. Even though it is a brown patina it still has some collector value, and that will increase as colt saa become more scarce. Let us know how it shoots!
 
If you refinish the gun it ruins any potential collector value. Even though it is a brown patina it still has some collector value, and that will increase as colt saa become more scarce. Let us know how it shoots!


That gun is very rough, so I can't see much collector value. Refinishing is the way to go.
 
If the internals are good, why do anything other then maintain her and keep her clean and lovingly maintained.

Beautiful example of a desirable old 6 gun.

I like em to look a bit used on the outside shes 120 or so years old.....its ok for her to look her age as long as she still dances!


If you DO choose to refinish her PLEASE do not chrome her...for the love of god.
 
Let's face it. This piece's value in CA is dual; antique and shooter.
I'd shoot it myself but if you want to get it redone crack on.
That's a fine looking wheelgun.
 
My vote is to leave it. I understand the temptation to make it pretty, believe me, but find something else to restore. It's awesome just how it is. Think of it as a sleeper...
 
I dont think it looks that rough at all Bill, looks nice and the all orignal 41 Lcs can be worth alot of money so look into it more before you do anything, if it really is all orignal.
Depends on the Ser # range but some can be worth alot of coin. id leave it alone and do more reading up on it.
You asked what happened to it if the pitting is on the frame itself id say it was left in a blood soaked holster nothing pits like human blood on steel. the pits will look like acid driped onto the gun.
in this guns case if its all orignal and good as you say on the inside then that just adds to the history of it.
 
Last edited:
It's your gun, do what you want...

I've noticed plenty of guns with "no" collector value selling for huge money on this site. Guys are buying colt saas for $1500 and selling them "restored" for $6,000....

I say you gun coat it, convert it to .38 spl, and sell it to some sucker for $6,000.
 
Have it restored/refinished, it's Canada so it will still be worth a lot of $ refinished or not. Life's too short to sport an ugly gun! :)
 
If you refinish that gun you will be destroying a beautiful piece of history.
Its value is in the history- these folk who pay big bucks for re-finished guns are idiots!They will soon learn that they hold a worthless piece of shiny metal.
Consider yourself the custodian of an invaluable object- for that is what you are.
Please leave it as is.
jan
 
Back
Top Bottom