THompson Center .45

bumperfood

Regular
EE Expired
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I have the opportunity to buy a TC 45cal muzzle loader. It has been in a fellows basement for the past 25 years. I looks fine to me but I have no way of telling if the barrel is any good, by that I mean if it is rusted out or? I checked to see if there was anything in the barrel, by sliding the ramrod down and measuring where it came to and then laying it along the barrel. It came to where the nipple is threaded in, so I am sure it has nothing in it (unloaded). He shot it a few times and says he cleaned it before storing it, but there is a little surface rust on the barrel, actually looks like fingerprints. I guess my question is how do I check to see if the barrel is ok.
He has quite a few accessories to go with it as well. two different bullet molds, one round and one that looks like a modern bullet only with two groves in it ,several of these bullets, about 20 percussion caps, patches etc. The price he is asking is very reasonable, considering he was just going to turn it in to the RCMP as part of the amnesty program. Any advice would be appreciated.
 
Greetings-In my mind any TC is a good thing. They are virtually bullet-proof (!!!) and give really good service. Somewhat heavy for the use but that also equals durability. Have owned and shot them in .45, .50, and .54 and they all were much the same. If the bore is really bad -a new drop-in will cost about 200- or so but i would guess even a bad bore could be cleaned up enough to shoot. One in good shape will bring about 400- at any gun show on the island. I suggest you grab it. Cheers, Bill
 
If you consider the price reasonable - buy it. Thompson Center rifles are very good quality. A friend of mine is a member of a Rendezvous group but is not at at all a "gun nut". He rarely cleans his .50 cal T/C Hawken yet at the shoots he regularly scores in the top 10. His T/C just keeps going and going!
 
Let use know how she shoots. Is it the Seneca/Cherokee or the Hawken model ?

To check the bore buy a small bore light or try finding those little lights found in the fishing stores. Drop it down to the breech and you will see any pitting/rust.

 
Let use know how she shoots. Is it the Seneca/Cherokee or the Hawken model ?

To check the bore buy a small bore light or try finding those little lights found in the fishing stores. Drop it down to the breech and you will see any pitting/rust.


I don't know which model, but it has two triggers if that's any help. pictures tomorrow or the next day. That's a great idea about the fishing light thanks
 
Well I picked it up this afternoon, I have not cleaned it other then giving it a quick dusting. I am not going to take it apart or do any more cleaning until I learn how as I do not wish to degrade it. I have not posted pictures before, but there is a good tutorial on this site so here goes-- we'll see.
IMG_6855_zps5e824270.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]







Great it worked
 
That's a TC hawken rifle you have...Brass forend,trigger guard,butt plate and patch box is the give away as well as the ram rod ferrules which are brass. Nice chunk of walnut on it also...looks sweet and with a little lipstick work it could look way better!! You have a set trigger on it...#### the hammer,gently squeeze the rear trigger and you will hear a click. Now the front trigger is "set" when you squeeze the front trigger the hammer will drop. It will be fairly light and is adjustable. DO NOT..REPEAT DO NOT...drop the hammer on the nipple without a cap placed on it. What happens is that you will peen the nipple down and cause yourself headaches!!
If you can wait for a day or two,I can post a tutorial with lots of pics as to how to clean a bp percussion rifle...
 
I have a early Thompson Hawken in 45 I bought in 1976 and serial number is with in 4000 so I would guess your gun was made about the same time so 1975 or 76,
John
 
The price was reasonable—“how about a few fishing trips, and you buy the licence for me”

I don’t plan on shooting it until I know a lot more about this firearm. I am in no hurry. Too much to learn to rush things. The first thing will be a cleaning, and a tutorial would be great. Thank you.

The funny thing is we were just talking over a pot of tea, and I mentioned that I had just ordered a .22 to teach my granddaughters to shoot, when he suggested that I should show them old style shooting, and that he had one that he was going to turn in as he has never had a permit for it. Happy to say it is now saved from destruction. They will be coming over in a couple of weeks for camping and if I feel comfortable around it, we may get to use it, but it probably be the .22 for now.
 
60 grains FFF GOEX behind a PRB will bring a smile to your face. Knock it back to 40, 50 grains for the kids. I have it's cousin in .50 and just started experimenting with minie balls. From sourcing the lead and casting my own (fill in blank), to shooting, I find black powder very enjoyable and an interesting learning curve. (I haven't found the peak yet!)

With the hammer resting down on the nipple it is safe and recommended to get a feel for the hair trigger (front one) by setting the lock (pull the rear until "click") and then pull (actually touch) the hair trigger. Its a good dry fire method and you don't have to touch the hammer.

Don't let anyone tell you these aren't deadly accurate out past 100 yds either...they most certainly are.

You will want to pull the lock to clean and lube it before doing anything though. 25 years is a long time for rust to set in, but on its face you have a nice rifle there.
 
As long as the bore is not pitted you have a great little gun. You will have less issues shooting real black powder than Pyrodex and other substitutes. Use FFFG in the 45.Damp swab between shots, to clear fowling, and use Patched balls instead of sabots and pistol bullets.
 
Greetings again-Good for you. A nice piece and I would guess in good shape from the pics. To practice dry-firing I cut a piece of 1/4" rubber gas line about 3/8" long-put it on the nipple and you can practice all day long. What size are the bullet moulds? I shot mine with .440 ball, 12 thou patch and 45 grains of fffg powder with good results. Started out using Crisco as bullet lube then moved up to bore butter and beeswax mix for a cleaner patch. Hope you enjoy it- if not let me know and I'll help you out by buying it. Cheers, Bill
 
Hello again-As an afterthought the Nanaimo club is hosting their annual rendezvous for black powder this coming weekend and if you are interested there will be many folks there who would be happy to give you an assist into the sport as well as all the info you would need. A fair number of primitive camps will be on display as well if you wanted to bring the granddaughter along. Invite any other B/P enthusiasts as well. Cheers, Bill
 
Just to say I haven't abandoned learning about my black powder rifle. Today I ventured into my favorite used bookstore and found two books. Shooting Black Powder Guns put out by Thompson/Center, dated 1975. It is like a small manual for my rifle and others, and sets out how to clean etc. It mentions that I can remove the breech plug with the correct wrench. Seems this would be a great way to check the barrell. Has anyone attempted this? The other book is Black Powder Gun Digest MCMLXXII (1972) A little battered, but will make good reading tonight. A very quick perusal shows no mention of the black powder substitutes that are used todays. Just curious--when was the substitute first made? Anyhow, going to clean up the rifle today.
 
Chances are you will chew up the barrel and plug trying to remove a well used breech plug. and you may never get it out. leave well enough alone, don't fix what isn't broken. To see the inside, if you must, get a drop in bore light, or a lighted arrow nock turn them on drop in the bore and take a peek.. Chances are extremely good if the end of the muzzle looks fine the rest is too. Do some shooting, clean it good, oil it up and stop worrying.
 
Back
Top Bottom