Crack or Gouge

rbell

Member
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
Hello folks, during close inspection of my Snider 2 band short MRK 111, I noticed what I thought was a crack. After taking this picture it looks more like a gouge. What are your thoughts? I will have it professionally inspected prior to firing.
Tks
Robert

DSC03470_zps1931d18e.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
 
can you see a mark on the other side of the receiver? I'm guessing no since you probably would have said so, I still think its best to get it looked at if you plan to shoot.
 
I think its a gouge as it gets deeper at the top and you can see it ends all of a sudden.
Thats just a guess going off the picture.
 
Well, I think it started off as a gouge because of what looks like displaced metal at the top of it from the pic. However, it looks like it might have spread downward from what it originally started as. Thing is, how deep is it? Definately needs to be checked by someone who has the ability to tell.
 
imho, a scratch. If that were a radial crack, it would have migrated to the outside of the snider patent breech and you would see it on the reverse. I would feel a LOT better about it though if I could see it in-hand with a magnifying glass.

It would definitely fail dye penetrant in it's current state, but that doesn't make it a crack. It could also be polished down to see how deep it may go. If it's a surface scratch, it should be removable without compromising the receiver thickness.
 
From the look of the pic at the top of it, one should be able to feel if it is a gouge or crack with a finger nail. If your nail catches in it then I think it is a bit more than a scratch. Pics can be deceiving as things are often magnified.
 
my guess is scratch, since its not leading to any high stress points. its just kind of in the middle. just an educated guess though
 
don't see how the large part of the crack (at the top) would stop where it is, being so close to the edge and yet not showing at the weak point (being the edge)
I say scratch.
(OP already knows what has to be done)
 
The easiest and surest quick method to find out, would be to apply some penetrating oil or Diesel fuel onto it with a small brush. Let it sit for about ten minutes and wipe the surface fluid away until it's dry. If it's a crack, which I also don't believe it is, it will weep fluid from the crack, which will be visible.

Cleaning fluid and alcohol won't do the trick. they tend to evaporate to quickly.
 
Thanks for all your responses. There is no indication of migration to the outside or any further than the pic shows. I tried the penetrating oil with negative results (stayed dry). I also feel that it was caused by a tool. What could I use to polish it out if that is possible?
Tks
 
Thanks for all your responses. There is no indication of migration to the outside or any further than the pic shows. I tried the penetrating oil with negative results (stayed dry). I also feel that it was caused by a tool. What could I use to polish it out if that is possible?
Tks

Dremel tool with a small, fine grinding / polishing bit
 
I had a similar problem in the chamber with one of my Werndls. Because of the design, it is impossible to ream/lap from the breach end.
I got a 48"x 3/8" wooden dowel. Cut it to the length I needed. Attached succesive grit (120-600) emery cloth with a staple. (wrap cloth to the thickness desired and opposite to the direction of rotation) to one end and a 3/8" electric drill to the other end. Pushed the emery end down the barrel and proceeded to lap away until I reached the desired finish. I was very pleased with the results and it is now one of my favorite guns to shoot.
(I hope all my other guns don't hear me say that! LOL)
 
Thanks for all your responses. There is no indication of migration to the outside or any further than the pic shows. I tried the penetrating oil with negative results (stayed dry). I also feel that it was caused by a tool. What could I use to polish it out if that is possible?
Tks

There is absolutely no reason to polish it out. A little old scratch, or a nice new patch of polished metal? Which is more noticeable?
 
Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom