Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Tanfoglio Appeal .22 LR 18"

CGN Ultra frequent flyer BabySeal's Avatar
    Good thing you came along. I didn't make it to the range today. First it was one thing, then another, and then all my free time was gone! I hate it when that happens.

I got a scope mounted on mine last night so I was really excited to get out there this morning.

I have tried a Leupold one piece ring mount, a similar Larue mount, as well as an Elcan and an American Defense mount that would not fit because of the non - picatinny spacing of the slots. So I picked up a couple sets of high Leupold QRW rings and got to work.

Initially, I wanted to mount a Scorpion "Shorty 40". Comapct and offering a nice reticle and 3-9x magnification, I thought it would be a great fit. But I could not mount the scope rearward enough to get useable eye relief. A small Russian fixed 4x scope also wouldn't work. Anything compact with a short eye relief, such as an ACOG seem to be outside the realm of possibilities.

This left my workbench scattered with rings and scopes.

Then I pulled out 3.5-10x56 Trijicon scope with a 30mm tube. It fit, and was comfortable to use, but it was ridiculously high; almost 5" above the bore (centre to centre).

Then I remembered that I still had a couple butt spacers installed! So I removed the last two spacers and this is what I had ready to go to the range this morning.

I still have to reach a bit to get perfect eye relief, but it works for now. The scope is a 4x32 made by Vlom and is heavy for what it is because of its steel tube and illuminated reticle.

A normal 3-9x40 will probably work just fine, as will what I wish I had, a Leupold 2-7x33 VX-1 Rimfire.

With the scope mounted, there is no perceptible play when pushing, pulling or twisting on the rail. The weight difference is very noticeable though. A lighter scope and lightweight Talley or Warne rings would probably be a better bet.

But this is what I have on hand so that is what I am using for now. I cant wait to get this out to the range! The firearms industry has it's work cut out for it if they want to top this gun this year.

With the trijicon mounted it looks like a bad guy weapon from some Stallone or Schwarzenegger movie
    Haha
    OP'd by jbrow397:
    We held court on the Internet and as usual, all parties are held in contempt.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer JR Hartman's Avatar
    how accurate are these? can they be upgraded for better accuracy?

what is the trigger like?

will they feed all the usual bulk ammo?
    the CGN formerly know as John_in_BC

Quote Originally Posted by JR Hartman View Post
    how accurate are these? can they be upgraded for better accuracy?

what is the trigger like?

will they feed all the usual bulk ammo?
    Mine runs just fine with Federal bulk, no problems at all

Quote Originally Posted by BabySeal View Post
    Good thing you came along. I didn't make it to the range today. First it was one thing, then another, and then all my free time was gone! I hate it when that happens.
    Then I pulled out 3.5-10x56 Trijicon scope with a 30mm tube. It fit, and was comfortable to use, but it was ridiculously high; almost 5" above the bore (centre to centre).
    Then I remembered that I still had a couple butt spacers installed! So I removed the last two spacers and this is what I had ready to go to the range this morning.
    I still have to reach a bit to get perfect eye relief, but it works for now. The scope is a 4x32 made by Vlom and is heavy for what it is because of its steel tube and illuminated reticle.

A normal 3-9x40 will probably work just fine, as will what I wish I had, a Leupold 2-7x33 VX-1 Rimfire.
    Ah! Great to see this with a scope on it. If you can let me know the exact parts you used to mount it I would be ever so appreciative as I'm still a little lost and it sounds like you've done the trial and error homework on this one.

Mine is in 22 WMR but I don't think that makes much difference.

Do you recommend the Vlom or should I order up "Leupold 2-7x33 VX-1 Rimfire" as you suggest?

Thanks.

N

Mine is actually a .22 WMR too.

I don't think there is any difference though.

The rings are Leupold PRW 1" high rings.

I recommend that you try Warne or Talley lightweight ring so you can stay as light as possible though. I did not anticipate how perceptibly the scope would change the weight of the gun.

I do not recommend the Vlom scope for this rifle. It is too compact. A standard size scope, such as your average 3-9x40 will fit nicely.

If you can get the Leupold rimfire scope, that will be nice and light though

That's just my preference. I like to keep it light when I can.

I bet there are a lot of great options out there.

Just use separate rings, not a one piece mount and ensure the scope is not a compact one with short eye relief. I bet you will come up with something great

When you will get more? Mr Wolverine

For those that were interested, I have posted a Range review and detailed strip in the rimfire forum.

Here is a link.

http://www.canadiangunnutz.com/forum...Detailed-Strip

Seriously old post, but I figured I would add my thoughts. I have the 22lr version using Federal Bulk ammo. The trigger on this is absolutely awful. The only gun I have with a heavier trigger is an old remington no4 rolling block. That said, despite being heavy, it breaks cleanly, and if going for a double tap will put two bullets touching, or through the same hole at 10 yards.

Ergonomics I find are great, and it is a very comfortable gun to use.

Mounting optics is definitely another issue. I have an old tasco red dot, and forget about accuracy with that. I have also tried mounting a scope, but the extra weight made it uncomfortable. (Though it was relatively accurate as long as you minded the trigger)

Support from the manufacturer is slow to non-existent.

All said, if you are looking for a fun firearm this a good choice.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234