Page 14 of 17 FirstFirst ... 467891011121314151617 LastLast

Thread: How To Find Ontario Crown Land to Shoot On

CGN Ultra frequent flyer gcdavidson's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tinmandan View Post
    gcdavidson please read my 1-15-2017 post to TreeOfWoe above. A Hunting Licence is not required for target shooting in a pit etc, and there does not need to be a hunting season open. So UNLESS the municipality of M'boro (or wherever that is) has enacted some other Bylaws, the provincial laws do not apply in that respect. So check on Bylaws with M'boro, and be sure to follow the other "legitimate-appearing" recommendations too, and have your federal Firearms Possession Licence.
    Hi tinmandan, that is actually the exact problem - the city has enacted a by-law that forbids shooting in Marlborough Forest except for hunting purposes. We had a decent gravel pit, but it only takes a few morons shooting glass bottles, couches, TV, and leaving all their 12g cases behind to ruin it. My plan would be that I am "sighting in" my .22LR prior to small game hunting. I just want to have a passable excuse on the off chance the police (etc) come to see what I'm up to. Obviously, its all NR rifles and paper targets, and since I shoot on a mat, clean up is never a problem.

Edit: Ok, seems I need an Ontario Hunter Education course before I can apply for a small game permit, and it appears there is open season on some species, which I think would cover me for 'sighting in', though I will have to delve more into it. Too bad there are no Hunter Education courses offered near Ottawa, the closest appears to be Kingston.
    Last edited by gcdavidson; 05-10-2017 at 11:35 AM.
    For we who grew up tall and proud, In the shadow of the mushroom cloud

gcdavidson......In fact there are Hunter Education courses near Ottawa. I am in Pembroke...not far from you. I just did a course here taught by Chris Rudderham. We had quite a few people from Ottawa on the course I was on myself. Go to Ontariohunt.ca He usually posts all the courses on the website and it is updated quite often. His contact number is provided on the website also. I suggest giving him a call and just ask him when his next course is being run. He's a good instructor and it's a decent weekend. Informative, yet not too dry.

Thanks for the info!!

This is awesome! Thank you!

Tagged for use

Hey everyone. I've been looking into this lately as well. Does anyone know where to find the map(bottom one) that OSAPRocky posted (post #120 on page 12)? I know the top one is the atlas but I've done a crap ton of research and can't seem to find a way to find it. Not the atlas, not WMU maps. I've tried municipality maps (specifically Severn as in his post) but also no luck.

Any help is greatly appreciated. I did PM him as well. Thanks.

Ontario Crown Land Use Policy Atlas

Quote Originally Posted by Borscht View Post
    Hey everyone. I've been looking into this lately as well. Does anyone know where to find the map(bottom one) that OSAPRocky posted (post #120 on page 12)? I know the top one is the atlas but I've done a crap ton of research and can't seem to find a way to find it. Not the atlas, not WMU maps. I've tried municipality maps (specifically Severn as in his post) but also no luck.

Any help is greatly appreciated. I did PM him as well. Thanks.
    Hey Borscht here's the link, but check the very first page, first post of this thread. It's all there.
    Ontario Crown Land Use Policy Atlas web site: https://www.ontario.ca/page/crown-land-use-policy-atlas

One you have the map open, click the Layers Tab and then click the Legend button to see what the shaded areas are.
    Also use the Find Information tab and then Get Land Use Information tool to click on an area for the description. And there's a bunch of other stuff too to see the Polices and Amendments for the areas.

Dan
    Last edited by tinmandan; 04-12-2018 at 09:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by OsapRocky View Post
    Don't know if this was previously posted, but if you're scouting out new land to shoot on it might be best to confirm the location on the atlas is crown land with the MNF.

The atlas shows the location to not be crown land, but the MNF confirmed it indeed was.

There could be mistakes both ways, so best to double check and stay safe guys.
    I know the atlas fairly well (i think), but the second map shows a discrepancy between what the atlas shows and the other map. I have a feeling the atlas is less accurate so i'd like to find the source of the bottom map.

I checked the map layers and i cant select the county forest as a layer in the atlas so i'm pretty sure they are different sources.

BANNED
    Tagged

Yup.....