Page 13 of 17 FirstFirst ... 3567891011121314151617 LastLast

Thread: How To Find Ontario Crown Land to Shoot On

CGN Ultra frequent flyer berger's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Harnis View Post
    seems like the only Crown land closest to Ottawa is over an hour away, southwest of Arnprior and Carleton Place.....

ouch.
    We used to be able to shoot in the Marlborough forest, but then the usual jagoffs and hicks in the are ruined it. Most never cleaned up there brass/steel/wads and the local hicks used the place as a dump.

Only shooting allowed now is during the rifle seasons.
    Prost!

Berger

Anyone do rifle shooting in the region of Bobcaygeon/Bancroft?

First time gun owner here, bought an SKS and would like to find a crown land area to shoot it with. I would imagine the gunshot can be heard for 2km+ so I've been looking at some large crown areas in WMU 60-62. Would it be fine for me to go plinking with 200-300 rounds with an SKS without a hunting license, so long as I followed precautions? I assume not uncasing the firearm and having surplus steel core ammo would be proof enough that I am not there to hunt?

Quote Originally Posted by TreeOfWoe View Post
    Anyone do rifle shooting in the region of Bobcaygeon/Bancroft?

First time gun owner here, bought an SKS and would like to find a crown land area to shoot it with. I would imagine the gunshot can be heard for 2km+ so I've been looking at some large crown areas in WMU 60-62. Would it be fine for me to go plinking with 200-300 rounds with an SKS without a hunting license, so long as I followed precautions? I assume not uncasing the firearm and having surplus steel core ammo would be proof enough that I am not there to hunt?
    Hey TreeOfWoe: I won't help you out with where, but as to your question about plinking without a hunting licence I offer this. People in northern Ontario, if you go far enough off the beaten path and far enough away from houses, are used to gun shots. So as long as you are on Crown Land have fun. When you find a place LEAVE ONLY FOOTPRINTS. The fastest way to get a nice pit or site shut down is to leave garbage. That includes brass, targets, etc. Not to mention it is contrary to the Ontario Public Lands Act to deposit any material on the land. Regarding the Hunting License question, it's best not stray into the bush with your gun to avoid question/compromise with the Game Wardens and OPP that you are there for anything but legitimate target shooting, for which a Hunting Licence is not required. "How do they tell the difference?" you might ask. Well it used to be law that possession of a firearm in a game inhabited area was prima facie proof of hunting. This means that you are assumed by law to be hunting and they do not need to prove it. You need to disprove it by your actions. So keep them totally legitimate-appearing to avoid conflict.

Quote Originally Posted by tinmandan View Post
    Hey TreeOfWoe: I won't help you out with where, but as to your question about plinking without a hunting licence I offer this. People in northern Ontario, if you go far enough off the beaten path and far enough away from houses, are used to gun shots. So as long as you are on Crown Land have fun. When you find a place LEAVE ONLY FOOTPRINTS. The fastest way to get a nice pit or site shut down is to leave garbage. That includes brass, targets, etc. Not to mention it is contrary to the Ontario Public Lands Act to deposit any material on the land. Regarding the Hunting License question, it's best not stray into the bush with your gun to avoid question/compromise with the Game Wardens and OPP that you are there for anything but legitimate target shooting, for which a Hunting Licence is not required. "How do they tell the difference?" you might ask. Well it used to be law that possession of a firearm in a game inhabited area was prima facie proof of hunting. This means that you are assumed by law to be hunting and they do not need to prove it. You need to disprove it by your actions. So keep them totally legitimate-appearing to avoid conflict.
    Well said.

To avoid further confusion call ahead of time to local authorities to mention your intention ( opp, wmu and township bylaw ) and check for any firearms discharge bylaws and record names to cover yourself in case being questioned.

Tag your it

Great info, this will go a long ways!

Quote Originally Posted by tinmandan View Post
    Useful info. I agree, I will definitely go above and beyond to maintain that I'm just there for target shooting. I thought I will keep the firearm in the case (locked with a trigger lock as well) until targets are set up, and then back to the case once the targets are taken apart. I was going to make a PVC pipe frame for some plinking, so it should be fairly obvious what I'm doing.

Quote Originally Posted by Spcamno View Post
    Well said.

To avoid further confusion call ahead of time to local authorities to mention your intention ( opp, wmu and township bylaw ) and check for any firearms discharge bylaws and record names to cover yourself in case being questioned.
    I was thinking of doing that.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer gcdavidson's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by berger View Post

Only shooting allowed now is during the rifle seasons.
    Silly question time... but if I want to target shoot in M'boro, then I can, provided it is during hunting season and I have a license? Let's say I only want to shoot .22LR, what is the hunting season / license I'd need to do that? (I've never hunted / held a hunting permit)
    For we who grew up tall and proud, In the shadow of the mushroom cloud

gcdavidson please read my 1-15-2017 post to TreeOfWoe above. A Hunting Licence is not required for target shooting in a pit etc, and there does not need to be a hunting season open. So UNLESS the municipality of M'boro (or wherever that is) has enacted some other Bylaws, the provincial laws do not apply in that respect. So check on Bylaws with M'boro, and be sure to follow the other "legitimate-appearing" recommendations too, and have your federal Firearms Possession Licence.

Quote Originally Posted by gcdavidson View Post
    Silly question time... but if I want to target shoot in M'boro, then I can, provided it is during hunting season and I have a license? Let's say I only want to shoot .22LR, what is the hunting season / license I'd need to do that? (I've never hunted / held a hunting permit)
    Yes. No one says you have to be good hunter.

It goes without saying that one should always be a responsible hunter, and that means using brass catchers, and making sure that the amount of waste hauled out of the forest is greater or equal to the amount brought in. So for every .22 LR shot, 3 grams of rubbish needs to be found somewhere. Found an aluminium can on the forest floor? At 15 grams in mass, that means you can leave 5 boolits in the forest. Hauled an old junked car out of the forest? That is a quarter million rounds of SS109!
    Target shooters & hunters ≠ Gangsters & mass murderers | Prostitutes ≠ Pimps and human traffickers | Drug users ≠ Methlab operators & narcotraffickers | Homosexuals ≠ Abomination before nature | Abortion ≠ Murder
    We are all seeking personal freedom.