Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast

Thread: 2014 SHOT show: Desert Tech MDR bullpup

2014 SHOT show: Desert Tech MDR bullpup

I just saw a presser for the Desert Tech MDR and MDR-C bullpup .
    Very cool.
    Expected release date is mid 2015.
    More details to follow .

EDIT: Now that I am back home, I am able to sort and tag my photos and focus on a more detailed report.
    Keep in mind that this edit came AFTER post # 64, so if it appears that a question is asked that is answered in this post, understand why.

These photos were taken straight off the screen at the press conference on Tuesday. The photos are mine, the PowerPoint content is obviously Desert Tech.
    At least one video of the same is on YT, but the sound is poor and it runs quite a few minutes long.

A comparison of power and portability. The speaker pointed out that the M4 is a decent compromise gun, that is why it is right in the centre.

Same chart with bullpups added

Compared to SCAR

Chart showing Adaptability as well as User-Friendly. Note that M4 is most User-friendly.

Same chart, bullpups added. This chart is somewhat subjective. I expect lots of squabbling!

The bits

Converting from Compact to full size

And the one that really matters...

Yeah, just had to get a pic beside Nicholas Young, DT president

Following the presser, the guns were on display in the DT booth.
    Please note that these are prototypes and will likely change a little bit prior to final release.

MDR-C top, and MDR full size below

Starboard side view, ejection cover closed. Closing the cover results in the fired case being ejected forward. If the cover is open, the case will be ejected to the right as normal.
    The case is withdrawn rearward, then flicked slightly to the right and held in the groove in the cover. As the bolt returns forward, it both strips a new round from the mag and punches the empty forward and out. Very clever!

Cover open

Right and left views of thumb selector and index finger mag release.

Bolt catch and release

Underneath view of magwell. This view clearly shows the adapter sleeve that allows a 5.56mm size mag to be used in a .308 size magwell.

During the reveal, Stormbringer asked about the bullpup/removable stock issue. Nick Young didnt quite get the question at first, but did eventually confirm that it will NOT fire with big pieces removed. So it is good for Canada!
    I then asked asked if they are aware of the Canadian market. They are aware of us. In the following days I spoke to him again.
    DT products have previously been imported by The Shooting Edge and Corlane Sporting Goods. Now, North Sylva will be importing as well.
    Last edited by tootall; 12-15-2014 at 03:33 AM. Reason: photos moved to Imgur

CGN Regular
    16.5" barrel.....ugh hope theres an 18.5

Toronto - Silverdale Gun Club & Target Sports Canada
    I hope this comes to the Canadian market...I don't care non-restricted or restricted...we need some more bullpup selections here!

CGN Ultra frequent flyer TV-PressPass's Avatar
    2014: Year of the Bullpup? Just had a look at Kel-Tech's downward ejecting babies.

This is the most exciting new rifle coming out.
    Probably wont see them here till 2016 though. Hopefully even more accurate with 18.5" NR barrels.

tootall, hope you don't mind me posting in your thread.

I was wondering around today, and in the corner with a tiny (compared to most others) was Desert Tech showing off their new bullpup. Here's a pic I took (with permission from the DT guy holding the rifle for me).

http://www.battlebeaver.com/images/dtbullpup1.jpg

10.5" barrel on their prototype rifle they had there, in .223. They also had a longer barrel version in .308. I only got to handle the .223 version for a couple of minutes. First impressions, pretty neat! Doesn't seem as well balanced at the Tavor, and the smaller gap between the grip/trigger and magwell didn't feel right in my hands. But as I said, I only got to hold it for 2 minutes (probably less).

See that weird looking ejection port cover? That's actually designed to be used CLOSED up like you see in the picture. The ejector is designed to steer the spent shell into a channel in the cover, ejecting the spent shell directly forward. Wow. Very cool idea, and they said they're still working on jams and such.... we'll see if it ends up staying in the final version. You can of course operate the rifle with the cover open, and it will eject casings similarly to an AR15.

Other news.... Geissele Automatics has a prototype of their drop-in Tavor trigger at the show. It wasn't ready to be demoed when I was at their booth today, they were busy and hadn't removed the firing pin from their demo Tavor yet. I'll return later tonight or tomorrow.

I also saw the Timney guy at the IWI booth, they apparently also have a Tavor trigger! From what I heard from the rep at IWI, the Timney will be around 4lbs, and the Geissele will be around 5 - 5.5lbs. I'll be dropping by Timney later as well to check (and try it I hope) it out.

OverKill
    ** Member CSSA, CCFR, NSSF and NRA ** Why aren't you?
    http://www.youtube.com/battlebeaver

Sorry, forgot to imbed the link, and I have no edit option on my post...

** Member CSSA, CCFR, NSSF and NRA ** Why aren't you?
    http://www.youtube.com/battlebeaver

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Kevin M.'s Avatar
    Very nice.
    You know you are a real gunnut when you start practicing trigger control on power tools.

WWJMBD? What Would John Moses Browning Do?

That is so cool!
    God Save the Queen!

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Kevin M.'s Avatar
    You know you are a real gunnut when you start practicing trigger control on power tools.

WWJMBD? What Would John Moses Browning Do?

Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast