Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 2014 Shot Show: HK 556A1 SD, OSS suppressor and HK keymod rail

I think we need to see some video. :D:D

I like that photo showing some of the different 3D printed baffle designs that are out there. Provides a good design comparison.

CGN Regular
    Why do all rail manufacturers make the Keymod holes line up so accessories are inserted forward, but HK decides to do it backwards?

Quote Originally Posted by FPembleton View Post
    Why do all rail manufacturers make the Keymod holes line up so accessories are inserted forward, but HK decides to do it backwards?
    Because they hate you, and you suck.
    There are only two types of people in this world, those who want to control others, and those who have no such desire. The former is the enemy of humanity.

Stand together. Stand strong. Don't give them an inch for they will take a mile.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Onagoth's Avatar
    Very cool
    The first principle is that you must not fool yourself and you are the easiest person to fool.

- Richard Feynman

Isn't the ATF cracking down on muzzle devices which are essentially sleeveless suppressors?

When has H&K ever cared about their consumers?

Alberta Defence Force - Liberal Welcoming Committee
    Quote Originally Posted by greentips View Post
    We got to shoot the new HK556SD in the media day. We were very impressed by the OSS suppressor. With the BPR ( back pressure regulator) and SRM ( signature reduction module), the MR556 SD shot like a .22 rim fire. There was almost no recoil and muzzle flip, in addition to sound suppression.

Doesn't really surprise me the thing would be reasonably quiet .... as it is FREAKIN HUGE! That can has to be near a foot long and it has a much larger OD than conventional 556 cans. With the size and all the stuff inside it would also be quite heavy. The industry has moved away from hanging broomsticks (or in this case a baseball bat) off the end of a barrel and current 556 cans are getting smaller and lighter every year.

The thing about sound suppressors that the OSS guys haven't worked out is you can't cheat physics.

The most significant feature of the OSS is that the “core” of the suppressor is permanently attached to the barrel. The only registered suppressor is the outer cylinder. In addition, the wear part of the entire suppressor is a 40 dollars detachable gas bleeder at the muzzle, which will last 10,000 rounds and could be changed by simply unscrewing off the muzzle.

First, I'd like to see the result of 10,000 rounds on that part. Second, designing a suppressor to last tens of thousands of rounds isn't exactly rocket science. Current cans are going two to three times that long and with a bit of smart design, very long working lifespans are easily achievable.

[quote]Most suppressors are internally arranged as a series of expansion chambers linked up in linear fashion. The OSS works in a reverse manner. Gas is bled off into the expansion chamber between the inner and outer cores at the end, and flow in the opposite direction to the bullet travel. The chamber between the inner and outer cores is partitioned by a series of fins spiraling around the inner core.

The thing about suppressors is that gas doesn't just "bleed off" very efficiently. Inside a can we have a high high speed jet of gas flowing down the centre bore. This gas doesn't just bleed off, it must be forced out of its trajectory in order to be retained in the can. Blind chambers simply pressurize with gas and stop working which allows the gas to flow down the bore and out of the can.

The OSS design has been around for a few years now but this is the first time anyone has seen one in the wild and to my knowledge nobody has ever sound tested one. I will withhold judgement till it hits an independently operated sound meter but I remain officially sceptical and fairly unimpressed thus far.

Alberta Defence Force - Liberal Welcoming Committee
    I forgot to mention that with all that wizzy stuff inside it is gonna be freakin EXPENSIVE as well. Some of the first gen AAC cans only had three basic baffles inside and they sold for $1000. I can't even begin to imagine how much one of these OSS things is gonna run. My guess would be $2500+.

thats a good point. it wont have the best rail support for recoil induced loosening. bad design.

Quote Originally Posted by Bile View Post
    thats a good point. it wont have the best rail support for recoil induced loosening. bad design.
    We all know HK can't follow industry standards.
    There are only two types of people in this world, those who want to control others, and those who have no such desire. The former is the enemy of humanity.

Stand together. Stand strong. Don't give them an inch for they will take a mile.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast