Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 2014 Shot Show: HK 556A1 SD, OSS suppressor and HK keymod rail

Sputin, wow I can understand you scepticism. Having shot is numerous times down there I can say you are wrong on all accounts. It looks huge but is not as big as you think as much of the unit is a back pressure module. It is what I would describe as "disruptive technology". It offers advantages in all areas over conventional suppressors. The suppressor module only extends 4 inches beyond the muzzle of the gun. How's that for big and heavy? Everyone who got behind the gun was amazed, and on the range we were shooting there were many who we're carrying issued guns with suppressors.

Rich

Funny how certain guys opinions can be without having shot or seen it. It's a very quiet can, due to design it is not necessary to have any gas reduction and does not increase the rate of fire on the weapon. These are just some of the numerous advantages. They have to be shot to be believed.

Rich

Well my opinion is

Oooohhhhh baby!

Alberta Defence Force - Liberal Welcoming Committee
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich LPS View Post
    Sputin, wow I can understand you scepticism. Having shot is numerous times down there I can say you are wrong on all accounts. It looks huge but is not as big as you think as much of the unit is a back pressure module. It is what I would describe as "disruptive technology". It offers advantages in all areas over conventional suppressors. The suppressor module only extends 4 inches beyond the muzzle of the gun. How's that for big and heavy? Everyone who got behind the gun was amazed, and on the range we were shooting there were many who we're carrying issued guns with suppressors.
    And what exactly are these "advantages". I keep hearing about all the supposed advantages without any idea as to what the advantages are. Specifics would be nice.

Funny how certain guys opinions can be without having shot or seen it. It's a very quiet can, due to design it is not necessary to have any gas reduction and does not increase the rate of fire on the weapon. These are just some of the numerous advantages. They have to be shot to be believed.
    Again with the non-specific "advantages."

I keep seeing claims that this thing is quiet yet nobody has seen one in the wild or put one on a third party sound meter. Until that happens, the claims are nothing more than claims. We in this industry have seen these kinds of unsubstantiated claims many times before so we are naturally sceptical.

That you have heard it and believe it to be quiet is 100% irrelevant. The human ear cannot discern differences in amplitude, duration and frequency and combinations thereof can easily fool the casual observer.

I have been designing and building sound suppressors for the better part of a decade. As a student of the history of these devices I have seen and been exposed to most of the commercially successful designs from the past and present. To make such claims about a new and untested design being superior to everything built over the last 100 years is supremely arrogant. Especially when that design has zero history itself.

I watch a youtube video where a guy was demonstrating the the OSS suppressor package and it didn't get quiet till he finally added the SRM (Signature Reduction Model) to the end. Just with the BPR (Back Pressure Regulator) the sound really didn't get reduced. It was quite amazing how the SRM actually completed the system and being only around 4" long. I understand how the SRM works together with the BPR to reduce the signature and it is quite a complicated design. I can imagine though how dirty the whole system will get over time.

Here is the url to the video I seen. h ttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fuf03PS6-C8

I watched it again and I notice that the guy doing the demonstration added a second SRM to the first one increasing the amount of suppression. I am guessing with this system you could add mulitple SRM's increasing the suppression each time.

I do wonder which part is considered the suppressor by the ATF though? It could get expensive in tax stamps if each SRM needed to be registered. HEHE

Suputin, I'm aware of your background.

I did not have a sound meter available during the shooting. There is no back pressure into the gun. No need to reduce or regulate the gas on the weapon. The design does not increase the rate of fire of the weapon. Range day test weapons fired several thousand rounds without cleaning. There is a slight vacuum when firing, the opposite of back pressure. The same suppressor can be used on multiple different calibres of guns. The way the gas leaves the gun and goes into the unit and is vented keeps the suppressor cooler than conventional designs. The design also prevents the unit from loosening during firing. These are just some of the unique features that the system provides. HK would never partner with another company unless the product offered was throughly tested and offered unique capabilities.

As I said before I believe this is disruptive technology and apparently the engineers at HK agree. I hope more users get a chance to try it.

Rich

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Gunnerlove's Avatar
    According to their website the power of the hexagon is strong in this OSS product.
    Service Rifle has been shot in Canada since 1864.
    The DCRA is the oldest sporting organization in Canada.

Alberta Defence Force - Liberal Welcoming Committee
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunnerlove View Post
    According to their website the power of the hexagon is strong in this OSS product.
    Whatever. A $30 suppressor cover will do the same thing.

IMO a lot of this is solutions in search of a problem. I will admit that a low back pressure design would be nice but the penalty is a large, heavy, loud, expensive and potentially delicate can. Think I'll stick with my conventional designs thanks.

Nobody is simply going to sidestep 100 years of development and a lot of these kinds of ideas have been tried before and failed.

Also no first round pop with this design. Very durable as well. Every once and a while there is a leap forward in technology. From what I've seen this could be it. HK certainly thinks so.

Rich

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast