Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: 2014 Shot Show: Desert Tech MDR

2014 Shot Show: Desert Tech MDR

Quick points about the MDR:

1) The rifle is not expected to be available until mid 2015.

2) Price estimation: 5.56 version ~ $2200 USD, 308 version ~ 2500 USD

3) The model display are prototypes, the lower is 3D printed and not the final production model at all

4) 5 Calibers envisioned to be offered: 7.62X39, 5.56 NATO, 7.62 NATO, 300 BLK, 6.8 SPC

6) Gas System: Short Stroke, with single recoil spring wrapped around recoil rod, stoner style multi-lug bolt lock up

7) Barrel attached to the upper receiver by 4 bolts

8) Used standard AR15 and SR25 patterned magazines. IWI X95 like magazine release in front of trigger.

9) Fire control parts are NOT AR15, they are Desert Tech proprietary

10) Forward extraction is achieved by a leveler in the receiver that pushes the spent casing into a channel on the ejection port cover. The channel directs the casing to a forward ejection path.

11) Polymer lower, aluminum extrusion tube upper.

My quick impression: The basic ergonomic is sound. However, the raised boundary above the pistol grip does not allow a high tang grip that can go as high as that with an AR. I also wonder if the juice is worth the squeeze for adding the forward pushing complexity to the system, but at least the feature can be disabled by simply opening the ejection port cover during IA. It is a bit too early to say how the final production will turn out . I do not see any major deficiencies with the way it is going. Based on the prototype on display, the project is about at the same stage where Magpul had achieved with the Masada some years ago. There will be some redesigns to make it manufacture-able. I think realistically, this will be available on the shelf in 2016 if it is actually put into production. I expect to see another design iteration in 2015 SHOT.

Last edited by greentips; 01-15-2014 at 09:33 PM.

Please send all private messages on CGN admin issues to "CGN Admin" account

CGN Ultra frequent flyer bfiles's Avatar
    Looks very nice indeed!!!!!
    I'm sure it's pretty damn accurate aswell.

Any chance you stopped by the CZ or GSG booth greentips? ?
    CSSA CCFR PROUD MEMBER
    "Sleep in bliss Pops"!!!!!!

I have to say it is a beautiful rifle, I seriously want one, but with so many options for caliber it will be hard to decide good thing i have at least a year to decide lol :'(
    NFA member since 2012

CGN Ultra frequent flyer FLYBYU44's Avatar
    Good God that is sexy! Forget a Tavor, hopefully this will be non-restricted.

Looks like a cheesy/clunky Steyr Aug knockoff made by high school dropouts.

Other than being a bullpup what features do you think that make it look anything like an AUG?

CGN Ultra frequent flyer rally guy's Avatar
    If it's deem non restricted by our overlords , it's moa accurate , has a good trigger and is reliable I might jump on this and try to get 1, 2 or 3. One in 223 then 308 and why not 7.62x39?
    CCFR member

CGN Regular
    So knowing Desert Tech with their bullpup sniper rifles, they are able to offer conversion kits to change a 308 Win to 338 Lapua. With the MDR, would they be able to sell either the 5.56 or 7.62 NATO models and have a conversion kit to swap between the two? I do like the idea of being able to swap between 5.56 and 7.62 in a single rifle platform, similar to how some handguns have caliber conversions.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer rally guy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cheier View Post
    So knowing Desert Tech with their bullpup sniper rifles, they are able to offer conversion kits to change a 308 Win to 338 Lapua. With the MDR, would they be able to sell either the 5.56 or 7.62 NATO models and have a conversion kit to swap between the two? I do like the idea of being able to swap between 5.56 and 7.62 in a single rifle platform, similar to how some handguns have caliber conversions.
    I am curious of how the same rifle with different bolt, barrel and lower shooting 223 will be able to handle the 308 with the same recoil springs and how it will compensate for the diffrence in bolt travel?
    CCFR member

CGN frequent flyer eatredmeat157's Avatar
    Barrel length?
    Triple bread rounds for the win

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast