SHOT SHOW 2014: Kel-Tech RDB and M43

greentips

Administrator
Moderating Team
Rating - 100%
261   0   0
Took a look at the Kel-Tech 5.56 bullpup RDB and M43. RDB and M43 are the same guns with the same guts. The difference is that M43 comes with wood furniture, a sheet metal lower receiver and metal sights. Now, here is the punch line: the MSRP of RDB is 2500 USD and the MSRP of M43 is 3000 USD.

I have not got the chance to fully examine the inside of the rifle as I am running out of time. Instead, I spent my time with the rifle to get myself familiar with the ergonomic of the rifle. My major issue with the rifle is that the safety control could be easily pushed up from “fire” to “safe” by the top of the trigger finger. This means if the shooter grips the pistol grip too high, the safety will be blocked from the “fire” position by the top of the trigger finger.

The bolt release is also too small. It is located somewhere above the magazine well and it is not intuitive. After a mag change, it is difficult to hit it fast as it is small and there is no tactile reference to its location. The M43 is also a bit rear end heavy as the lower receiver is metal, and it does not balance as well as the plastic version.

11988330994_9297181ece_c.jpg

11988330954_67382c03cc_c.jpg

11988763796_036ce8193f_c.jpg

I like it but the good folks at kel tec must have spit out there coffee wen they saw the mdr and the projected pricing! God the rfb has a 1880 $ msrp and have ben sold for around 1300 $ in the state. Imo unless the rdb hit the shelf around 1500-1700 in the USA its might just be doa...

On another note it seem they did away with the tilting block and went with a rotating bolt.

Kel-Tec-RDB-Bolt.jpg

Well, that's about $2k more than I'd like to spend on the M43 :( Wood and metal are a big plus, but really? 3k? Pretty much every market black rifle comes in under that - tavors, RFB's, XCR's, Sig's.... really guys?

It's a pity the prices are what they are on the M43 because I suspect they're going to look at it not selling and think we don't like all metal and wood designs, when in reality we do, we can just get a lot better stuff for that price.

I'd be interested in getting a breakdown on their pricing too - I get that they may have had to buy new equipment for the larger than usual stamping on the M43... but an extra $500 per unit? (wood duplicators shouldn't be that bad - it's within a hobbyist's range of ability to duplicate wood parts so that shouldn't be a huge factor.)

For some reason I can't edit my post - I wanted to add - the M43 looks like it's got a lot of potential - polymer or alternative grips look like they could easily replace the wood ones if need be (having metal to mount to makes customization way easier than trying to modify/work around polymer) and there's no reason why such things as mag release and the such couldn't be tweaked, since they're relatively simple looking stamped parts - could always add a gripping surface, change size/shape etc. I'd personally remove the provided tall arse front sight and add lower profile irons, then use it as a fun bush/close range gun.

Back
Top Bottom