Page 11 of 17 FirstFirst ... 34567891011121314151617 LastLast

Thread: 2014 Shot Show: Troy Industries Pump Action Rifle

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Dexter Morgan's Avatar
    2. Separately from #1, if it uses AR mags, they wi have to be pinned to 5 rounds. But if it uses proprietary mags (think LAR pistol) then the possibility of having Troy Pump Action Rifle 30-rounders that just so happen to fit my AR and are legal is huge.
    That definitely won't happen. If it happens to accidentally fit an AR, they will simply call it an AR magazine.

However; If they make the gun with a proprietary magazine (that won't fit anything else) then we will have the luxury of unpinned magazines for it.

7.62x39 !!!!!!

CGN frequent flyer
    Quote Originally Posted by luciferco View Post
    This kind of turn me off. I don't know, it would be like why have an AR if its pump and not self loading. My bolt gun shoots awesome.
    Because with a pump you don't have to have your trigger hand leave it's place and work the bolt...which you have to do even on a SPAR. It would be faster, IMO, to re-acquire the target with a pump.
    Just IMO.

I like it. But only if it were in 30 cal..

CGN frequent flyer
    Quote Originally Posted by rocco View Post
    7.62x39 !!!!!!
    Perfect.

pump action rifle, i never saw something like this before.
    they could make a little slot in the receiver for the mag, so that normal R-fiffteen mag dont fit.
    a simple filling job would make any standard 30round mag fit.
    "when you have to shoot, shoot dont talk."
    -the ugly

Quote Originally Posted by Dexter Morgan View Post
    That definitely won't happen. If it happens to accidentally fit an AR, they will simply call it an AR magazine.

However; If they make the gun with a proprietary magazine (that won't fit anything else) then we will have the luxury of unpinned magazines for it.
    Normally I'd agree fully.

But... LAR pistol mags fit AR15 and can hold 10. and if I recall correctly AIA mags fit M14 without modification and were allowed. It's a possible scenario but I agree it's just not likely.

CGN Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Astute Observer View Post
    So, I don't understand something... I've read many (though not all - it's a long thread) of the posts, and the consensus seems that if the rifle takes AR mags, it'll likely be restricted. But the Mossberg MVP is unrestricted, and it takes AR mags. What's the difference (assuming the Troy barrel is 18.5"+)? Since both are manually operated actions... Am I missing something?
    Its not the mag that it takes thats the issue for the gun being restricted. Its the lower receiver.

And the MVP using AR mags, but still having to be pinned to 5 is because the gun is advertised as using AR mags.
    If a bolt/pump gun was made, and a manufacturer uses the same basic design/dimensions as an AR mag, but stamped on it being meant for this particular round/rifle(but coincidentally happened to fit into an AR15). It would be unpinned.
    Examples being the LAR-15 and the AIA enfield mags that fit the M14

But the major market being the US, and they already have lots and lots of AR mags, it will always be marketed as using AR mags.

I am against pre-ordering any guns, but I would pre-order this one!

Sounds like you're describing a Mossberg MVP Varmint.

Quote Originally Posted by Daver_II View Post
    Ok, $600-$800 this would sell very well, especially with a troy rail, sights, etc.
    10 rnd LAR mags in a pump NR rifle, Great for plinking, hunting, range fun, etc.
    If this is accurate, reliable, and NR, I think it would do well.

I am assuming of course that it would have an 18.5" barrel for Canada.
    But an accurate pump .223 NR rifle for under $800. would be a lot of fun. especially with 10 round magazines.
    CSSA/CCFR MemberAn unjust law, is no law at all.Martin Luther (1483-1546)
    There may be times when we are powerless to prevent injustice, but there must never be a time when we fail to protest. Elie Wiesel

Quote Originally Posted by pomelum View Post
    pump action rifle, i never saw something like this before.
    they could make a little slot in the receiver for the mag, so that normal R-fiffteen mag dont fit.
    a simple filling job would make any standard 30round mag fit.
    wouldn't that make a normal 30rd r15 mag modified and prohibited? that's a no no.

anyways ... back to the original subject.

it's still a nice looking rifle, would make a great truck gun, hiker .. etc.

Depending on classification and price I'd get one.