2014 Shot Show: Troy Industries Pump Action Rifle

I can't resist but to comment.....with regards to magazines and potential non/restricted status:

Why wouldn't this be regarded in the same manner as the Mossberg MVP? Both are non-restricted manual repeaters that takes AR magazines.

I would love to buy this Troy model and use lar mags in it. What am I missing here? My impressions is that it should easily make non restricted provided the barrel length is adequate.

My hopes jumped up when I read the comment about it being competitively light. Just think, a new variation of the "scout" rifle.

I can't resist but to comment.....with regards to magazines and potential non/restricted status:

Why wouldn't this be regarded in the same manner as the Mossberg MVP? Both are non-restricted manual repeaters that takes AR magazines.

I would love to buy this Troy model and use lar mags in it. What am I missing here? My impressions is that it should easily make non restricted provided the barrel length is adequate.

My hopes jumped up when I read the comment about it being competitively light. Just think, a new variation of the "scout" rifle.

Mossberg MVP doesn't "look" like an AR.

And I don't think barrel length would have anything to do with it's classification since it's not semi-auto. Look at all the pump-action 870's with 8" barrels.

I think it could go either way. A few people pointed out the Akdal and M&P .22 that were deemed variants. Even a crossbow upper that used an AR lower was a variant. Based on the fact that it's a completely new design and doesn't use AR uppers/lowers it's almost a no-brainer. Which means it's possible it'll be restricted. Lol

For the prices people were tossing out you couldn't buy a high-end bolt gun. I'd expect to see this come in around $1,500-$1800. Hope for less of course but doubtful.

On the contrary, they HAVE done it.

They did it with the Akdal shotgun last year in fact.

If they can fit an AR upper onto the akdal lower and make it fire a shot, then they would classify the akdal lower as an AR variant. If you look at an akdal lower, that doesn't look like a difficult feat.

Not on looks, on function. Even if it only works once and then breaks.

protect.pl

an abandoned project a few years ago. RCMP said AR even though the upper/lower will not fit standard AR receivers, and even though the mags will not fit standard AR's they were limited to 5 rounds because the RCMP said they were AR mags.

Problem is it looks like it would pass the same litmus test that other manufactures have run into, will an AR15 upper mount onto the lower and will it fire a shot. Atrs had their rifle fail this test hence why that project has been shelved too.

Found this advert for the pump action you pictured...

"Features: # Pump Action Carbine # Chambered for Military 5.56 and .223 Remington # Proprietary 20 or 30 rd. magazines (do not fit AR-15) # Accepts standard AR-15 magazines (must still be pinned to 5 rds.) # Custom barrel lengths available (14.5" barrel shown) # Class: Restricted # Made in Canada Will be available by summer 2006."

YOUR ATTENTION PLEASE!

I have contacted Troy Industries in regards to this rifle, and I asked them about the whole AR15 variant issue, as well as the magazine compatability issue, and how that directly affects potential classification which in turn affects market appeal. She said she would forward my questions and concerns to the relevant talking heads. I am awaiting a response, and will provide updates as they become available.

YOUR ATTENTION PLEASE!

I have contacted Troy Industries in regards to this rifle, and I asked them about the whole AR15 variant issue, as well as the magazine compatability issue, and how that directly affects potential classification which in turn affects market appeal. She said she would forward my questions and concerns to the relevant talking heads. I am awaiting a response, and will provide updates as they become available.

Two rifles are being prepared for export to Canada and will be submitted to the RCMP with all relevant documentation to determine the classification ...

gadget

protect.pl

an abandoned project a few years ago. RCMP said AR even though the upper/lower will not fit standard AR receivers, and even though the mags will not fit standard AR's they were limited to 5 rounds because the RCMP said they were AR mags.

This is not accurate. I had one of the prototypes for over a month. The upper and lower were AR-15 receivers with small modifications. Mags were standard AR mags.

There was an inherent problem with the design that would have been a safety issue. The pump mechanism simply connected to the BCG with a rod to where the bolt key mounts. The BCG and the bolt were standard AR parts. The problem with this (and any similar pump action design) is that the AR-15 uses a push feed system. The extractor doesn't catch the rim of the round until the bolt closes fully on the round. What this means is that if you short stroke it, you can knock a round into the chamber, then go back and pick up the next round and ram it right into the back of the first round. The tip of a FMJ bullet going into a primer with the full force of someone trying to pump quickly is probably not a good thing...

Two rifles are being prepared for export to Canada and will be submitted to the RCMP with all relevant documentation to determine the classification ...

gadget

I figure the more interest expressed in it, the better. For all we know they might be planning on essentially sending an AR15 lower and AR mag with it, if we can figure that out before it gets submitted we might be able to get it changed.

Back
Top Bottom