Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567891011121315 ... LastLast

Thread: 2014 Shot Show: Troy Industries Pump Action Rifle

What somedy seem to be talking about is price point, 1000$ for a pump rifle is a bit high
    Gun don't defend people, people defend people

CGN Regular
    I can't resist but to comment.....with regards to magazines and potential non/restricted status:

Why wouldn't this be regarded in the same manner as the Mossberg MVP? Both are non-restricted manual repeaters that takes AR magazines.

I would love to buy this Troy model and use lar mags in it. What am I missing here? My impressions is that it should easily make non restricted provided the barrel length is adequate.

My hopes jumped up when I read the comment about it being competitively light. Just think, a new variation of the "scout" rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by theshootist View Post
    I can't resist but to comment.....with regards to magazines and potential non/restricted status:

Why wouldn't this be regarded in the same manner as the Mossberg MVP? Both are non-restricted manual repeaters that takes AR magazines.

I would love to buy this Troy model and use lar mags in it. What am I missing here? My impressions is that it should easily make non restricted provided the barrel length is adequate.

My hopes jumped up when I read the comment about it being competitively light. Just think, a new variation of the "scout" rifle.
    Mossberg MVP doesn't "look" like an AR.

And I don't think barrel length would have anything to do with it's classification since it's not semi-auto. Look at all the pump-action 870's with 8" barrels.

I think it could go either way. A few people pointed out the Akdal and M&P .22 that were deemed variants. Even a crossbow upper that used an AR lower was a variant. Based on the fact that it's a completely new design and doesn't use AR uppers/lowers it's almost a no-brainer. Which means it's possible it'll be restricted. Lol

For the prices people were tossing out you couldn't buy a high-end bolt gun. I'd expect to see this come in around $1,500-$1800. Hope for less of course but doubtful.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer fenceline's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dexter Morgan View Post
    On the contrary, they HAVE done it.

They did it with the Akdal shotgun last year in fact.
    If they can fit an AR upper onto the akdal lower and make it fire a shot, then they would classify the akdal lower as an AR variant. If you look at an akdal lower, that doesn't look like a difficult feat.

Not on looks, on function. Even if it only works once and then breaks.
    CQB, 3 Gun, ISSAC and Service Rifle Shooter.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ - 1* - SI VIS PACEM, PARA BELLUM - HAN SHOT FIRST - YOUR FREEDOM IS YOUR RESPONSIBILITY

Quote Originally Posted by Moe View Post
    My AP74 22lr rifle with a 15rd mag and looking like an AR15 is restricted because it looks like an AR15. Not one single part is interchangeable with an AR15.

Moe
    The ap74 is on the named restricted list because of looks. The RCMP didn't classify it as an AR15, the government did when they wrote the regulation.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ - 1* - SI VIS PACEM, PARA BELLUM - HAN SHOT FIRST - YOUR FREEDOM IS YOUR RESPONSIBILITY

Quote Originally Posted by P0WERWAGON View Post

an abandoned project a few years ago. RCMP said AR even though the upper/lower will not fit standard AR receivers, and even though the mags will not fit standard AR's they were limited to 5 rounds because the RCMP said they were AR mags.
    Problem is it looks like it would pass the same litmus test that other manufactures have run into, will an AR15 upper mount onto the lower and will it fire a shot. Atrs had their rifle fail this test hence why that project has been shelved too.

Found this advert for the pump action you pictured...

"Features: # Pump Action Carbine # Chambered for Military 5.56 and .223 Remington # Proprietary 20 or 30 rd. magazines (do not fit AR-15) # Accepts standard AR-15 magazines (must still be pinned to 5 rds.) # Custom barrel lengths available (14.5" barrel shown) # Class: Restricted # Made in Canada Will be available by summer 2006."

Quote Originally Posted by lone-wolf View Post
    The restricted m&p 1522 upper won't fit on an AR lower.
    Other way around. If an AR lower will fire off an m&p lower, the lower gets classed restricted.

^^^ upper. Meant AR upper on an mp22 lower.

Seriously, why no edit feature???

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Stevebot-7's Avatar
    YOUR ATTENTION PLEASE!

I have contacted Troy Industries in regards to this rifle, and I asked them about the whole AR15 variant issue, as well as the magazine compatability issue, and how that directly affects potential classification which in turn affects market appeal. She said she would forward my questions and concerns to the relevant talking heads. I am awaiting a response, and will provide updates as they become available.
    Death comes by subtle means; the satisfaction of routine.
    Lifetime member of CSSA and NFA.

Quote Originally Posted by Stevebot-7 View Post
    YOUR ATTENTION PLEASE!

I have contacted Troy Industries in regards to this rifle, and I asked them about the whole AR15 variant issue, as well as the magazine compatability issue, and how that directly affects potential classification which in turn affects market appeal. She said she would forward my questions and concerns to the relevant talking heads. I am awaiting a response, and will provide updates as they become available.
    Two rifles are being prepared for export to Canada and will be submitted to the RCMP with all relevant documentation to determine the classification ...

gadget
    War Is Never Undertaken by an Ideal State, Except in Defence of its Honour, or its Safety