2014 Shot Show: Troy Industries Pump Action Rifle

2. Separately from #1, if it uses AR mags, they wi have to be pinned to 5 rounds. But if it uses proprietary mags (think LAR pistol) then the possibility of having Troy Pump Action Rifle 30-rounders that just so happen to fit my AR and are legal is huge.

That definitely won't happen. If it happens to accidentally fit an AR, they will simply call it an AR magazine.

However; If they make the gun with a proprietary magazine (that won't fit anything else) then we will have the luxury of unpinned magazines for it.

This kind of turn me off. I don't know, it would be like why have an AR if its pump and not self loading. My bolt gun shoots awesome.

Because with a pump you don't have to have your trigger hand leave it's place and work the bolt...which you have to do even on a SPAR. It would be faster, IMO, to re-acquire the target with a pump.
Just IMO.

I like it. But only if it were in 30 cal..

pump action rifle, i never saw something like this before.
they could make a little slot in the receiver for the mag, so that normal R-fiffteen mag dont fit.
a simple filling job would make any standard 30round mag fit.

That definitely won't happen. If it happens to accidentally fit an AR, they will simply call it an AR magazine.

However; If they make the gun with a proprietary magazine (that won't fit anything else) then we will have the luxury of unpinned magazines for it.

Normally I'd agree fully.

But... LAR pistol mags fit AR15 and can hold 10. and if I recall correctly AIA mags fit M14 without modification and were allowed. It's a possible scenario but I agree it's just not likely.

So, I don't understand something... I've read many (though not all - it's a long thread) of the posts, and the consensus seems that if the rifle takes AR mags, it'll likely be restricted. But the Mossberg MVP is unrestricted, and it takes AR mags. What's the difference (assuming the Troy barrel is 18.5"+)? Since both are manually operated actions... Am I missing something?

Its not the mag that it takes thats the issue for the gun being restricted. Its the lower receiver.

And the MVP using AR mags, but still having to be pinned to 5 is because the gun is advertised as using AR mags.
If a bolt/pump gun was made, and a manufacturer uses the same basic design/dimensions as an AR mag, but stamped on it being meant for this particular round/rifle(but coincidentally happened to fit into an AR15). It would be unpinned.
Examples being the LAR-15 and the AIA enfield mags that fit the M14

But the major market being the US, and they already have lots and lots of AR mags, it will always be marketed as using AR mags.

Sounds like you're describing a Mossberg MVP Varmint.

Ok, $600-$800 this would sell very well, especially with a troy rail, sights, etc.
10 rnd LAR mags in a pump NR rifle, Great for plinking, hunting, range fun, etc.
If this is accurate, reliable, and NR, I think it would do well.

I am assuming of course that it would have an 18.5" barrel for Canada.
But an accurate pump .223 NR rifle for under $800. would be a lot of fun. especially with 10 round magazines.

pump action rifle, i never saw something like this before.
they could make a little slot in the receiver for the mag, so that normal R-fiffteen mag dont fit.
a simple filling job would make any standard 30round mag fit.

wouldn't that make a normal 30rd r15 mag modified and prohibited? that's a no no.

anyways ... back to the original subject.

it's still a nice looking rifle, would make a great truck gun, hiker .. etc.

Depending on classification and price I'd get one. :)

Now this! is going to confused the $hit out of our RCMP. Its a pump action but also takes an AR mag! whats going happen to all the 30 rds mags! ??? OH NOOOO!!!

No its quite simple it takes AR15 mags so they have to be pinned to 5 rounds. Now proprietery mags is a different story but they can't fit or be made to fit anyother gun if you want them to be accepted.

I love threads like this.. Speculation liberally mixed with ignorance and cynicism= entertainment

here is my take.. Cool, lets wait for the 3 years it will take for the RCMP to "examine" it and classify before I get my Visa card out,

ATCHUNG
Got a response.
Thank you for your interest in the Troy PAR. The pump action rifle is intended for hunting and sporting purposes. Due to ITAR regulations I cannot get into specifics on the rifle. The upper and lower are not interchangeable with other type of moderns sporting rifles. The magazine well accepts standard AR type magazines.
That's from the Assistant Weapons Program Manager.

So, what we know about this rifle:
•Pump action
•Takes AR mags, which is not the end of the world.
•Does not interchange with other modern sporting rifles, which I suppose means it stands about the same chance of being non-restricted as my chance to reach into molten steel and pull out Excalibur. Slim, but I've done it before.
•Makes me moist.

If you're still limited with magazine capacity, I'd rather just get a semi-auto.

Full capacity mags is the only reason to use this pump instead.

ATCHUNG
Got a response.

That's from the Assistant Weapons Program Manager.

So, what we know about this rifle:
•Pump action
•Takes AR mags, which is not the end of the world.
•Does not interchange with other modern sporting rifles, which I suppose means it stands about the same chance of being non-restricted as my chance to reach into molten steel and pull out Excalibur. Slim, but I've done it before.
•Makes me moist.

You're missing the point here. When they refer to 'the upper and lower are not interchangeable with modern sporting rifles'... what they are saying is they aren't interchangeable with AR uppers and lowers- because the gun media in the US has taken to calling ARs the 'Modern Sporting Rifle' to make it appear less military/tacticool. No reason this gun would be made restricted here.

You're missing the point here. When they refer to 'the upper and lower are not interchangeable with modern sporting rifles'... what they are saying is they aren't interchangeable with AR uppers and lowers- because the gun media in the US has taken to calling ARs the 'Modern Sporting Rifle' to make it appear less military/tacticool. No reason this gun would be made restricted here.

Depends if the rcmp can apply enough duct tape to the upper and a ar lower(or the other way around) to fire a shot.

Back
Top Bottom