Page 10 of 17 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314151617 LastLast

Thread: 2014 Shot Show: Troy Industries Pump Action Rifle

CGN Ultra frequent flyer lone-wolf's Avatar
    If it has an 18.5" barrel, I wouldn't even consider it. Coming from America, I suppose 16" is the best they can do.
    The wild still lingered in him and the wolf in him merely slept

"It must be poor life that achieves freedom from fear" - Aldo Leopold

Quote Originally Posted by Daver_II View Post
    Any more than $800.... I will likely not buy it.
    I guess you're out then... Another website that wrote about this rifle said the rep told them MSRP is $1,100

I am assuming of course that it would have an 18.5" barrel for Canada..
    It's a pump .

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Daver_II's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by atr View Post
    It's a pump .
    got it, my bad... whisky and CGN dont mix well.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Dexter Morgan's Avatar
    We need Norinco to rip this off and make a really cheap version. LOL.

Ok, $600-$800 this would sell very well, especially with a troy rail, sights, etc.
    10 rnd LAR mags in a pump NR rifle, Great for plinking, hunting, range fun, etc.
    If this is accurate, reliable, and NR, I think it would do well.

I am assuming of course that it would have an 18.5" barrel for Canada.
    But an accurate pump .223 NR rifle for under $800. would be a lot of fun. especially with 10 round magazines.
    We could have a shorter barrel as long as its 26" when folded, it wouldn't be much shorter then 18.5 though. If they didn't have the folding stock the we could go so far as to get 11.5" barreled versions

... And did someone say slam fire?!? could be fun if there's proprietary 30 rounders, we can dream though.

MSRP of 1100$ isn't to bad either.

At $1100 I'd be all over this; the Rem 7600 hovers around $700 new and that's the normal mag version. The 7600 that takes AR mags tends to draw a lot more even used.

Still the sad part is that this is likely ((read VERY likely)) to be listed as Restricted. The RCMP will likely rule the lower to be too closely identical to the AR15 design and rule restricted based on the possibility of someone modifying a gas operated Upper to fit.

That's generally the reason a lot of those rifles people don't "see" why they're listed restricted when really they shouldn't. But the reality is that very often its not that far of a stretch to make modifications like this.

There's also the ((agreed STUPID)) blanket rulings based on "design". Such as the AK47esque nature of the Saiga; even though the only thing the two have in common is the appearance of the stamped receiver; while their fundamental design is the same, non of their internal parts are swapable. And the receiver would require extensive modifications to accept AK parts; to the degree that you would possibly be easier just making your own receiver.

As a restricted, this rifle will have a hard time making it HIGH up the wish list. NR and it's going to edge itself in the top 5 purchases of the year for sure. Simply because I could hunt with it. At the range a pump action AR just doesn't benefit me other than "#### yeah this thing is bad ass!" It'd be interesting to run a 3 gun; going from pump rifle to pump shotty lol.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Dexter Morgan's Avatar
    It'd be interesting to run a 3 gun; going from pump rifle to pump shotty lol.
    It could be an interesting game changer in Canadian 3-gun, if it has un-pinned 30 round magazines.

CGN Regular
    So, I don't understand something... I've read many (though not all - it's a long thread) of the posts, and the consensus seems that if the rifle takes AR mags, it'll likely be restricted. But the Mossberg MVP is unrestricted, and it takes AR mags. What's the difference (assuming the Troy barrel is 18.5"+)? Since both are manually operated actions... Am I missing something?

It's not the mags.

There are 2 separate points of interest to us Canadians.

1. If it will successfully fire using an AR lower it'll definitely be restricted.

2. Separately from #1, if it uses AR mags, they wi have to be pinned to 5 rounds. But if it uses proprietary mags (think LAR pistol) then the possibility of having Troy Pump Action Rifle 30-rounders that just so happen to fit my AR and are legal is huge.

Before anyone flames my post with "you're exposing a secret...public forum...etc" they already F-ING know. And they've proven it time and time again.

They also have to abide by the existing laws and sometimes the loopholes go in our favour... Other times they don't.