Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: SHOT SHOW 2014: Tangent Theta Professional Marksman Series Rifle Scope

Great looking scope. I can't comment on the price because imo these were not designed for, nor intended for my optics needs. I think the people or organizations who will utilize this level of scope won't be score keeping..

I love the angled serrations on the turrets and adjustments. Not sure why, but I do.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Rebel Rouser's Avatar
    People that are bitching about the price should stick to there Tasco and Bushnells. You probably couldn't afford one anyway. These scope are designed for military and high end precision shooters. The price point is in the same range as other scope high scopes. The bonus is that they are made in Canada and don't require export paper work. Even if it has to go in for repair you don't have to fill out and the ITAR exemption paper work.

"God made man, but Samuel Colt made them equal"
    Colt Firearms advertising slogan.
    Diemaco #1 Fanboy

CGN Regular
    People keep posting that these are in the same ballpark pricewise as the S&B. Better take a look again. The S&B is $3700 for the 5-25, the comparable model TT is $4300. That is a $600 dollar difference. That is 16%. The S&B is a proven platform that is in service with military forces and police services around the world. You can get into the NF Beast for $3,400, the ATACR for $2,600, the Gen II Razor 3.5-27 for roughly $2,500. The only other scopes I can think of that make the TT look like it isn't ridiculously priced are the Leupold Mark 8 5-25 listed at $4,200US without the Horus and the Hensoldts and when you go through the list of competitors who use that equipment in the big tactical matches you don't find any listed. The trade off in value per dollar just isn't there. And I'm sure someone will give the age old tacticool argument about someone who isn't playing games or scoring points but using it in real world situations, but I would bet there is a *&#@^ pile more Nightforce, S&B, and Mark 4s in service than the $4,500 dollar glass.

My point is, it is too bad that the CDN manufacturers always seem to take this elitist stance on there product and force us to continue to purchase the products that produce a real dollar value product. I will continue to put NF on my rifles, or maybe the new Razor if I can convince myself to lug around a 3lb scope!!

CGN Ultra frequent flyer NavyShooter's Avatar
    I was in the TT shop a while ago, and handled some of their items. Out of respect for Andy, since I've known him for the better part of 2 decades, I said nothing about it.

I have handled the tool-less turrets, and seen the "guts" of them. Fascinating. From a hobby machinist's perspective, I can only dream of the precision that has gone into them.

I can speak for the fact that there has been some SERIOUS engineering going into these optics, and at some point, I would love to be able to put one of these scopes on top of the rifle that Andy helped me get built. Nope, not an AT-1C24, but damn close....and damned accurate.

Is it out of line to ask Ferrari prices for a BMW? Yup.

Is it out of line to ask Ferrari prices for a Ferrari product? Nope. Not at all, and this is what you're getting.

Note the target market..."Rifle Scopes for Professional Marksmen"

How many of us are actually PROFESSIONAL MARKSMEN?

Yes, it's a scope aimed at people who use their rifles daily in the course of the duties. Obviously aimed at Mil/Police.

If I had the $$ to put into it, I'd have one on my rifle. Even though I'm not someone who uses it daily in the course of my duties.

NS
    One shot one tequilla

Death from a bar....

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Rebel Rouser's Avatar

"God made man, but Samuel Colt made them equal"
    Colt Firearms advertising slogan.
    Diemaco #1 Fanboy

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    Quote Originally Posted by Schecter 81 View Post
    People keep posting that these are in the same ballpark pricewise as the S&B. Better take a look again. The S&B is $3700 for the 5-25, the comparable model TT is $4300. That is a $600 dollar difference.

People also keep posting(here and on other sites) S&B Retail prices and comparing them to an MSRP of $4,250, when we don't yet know what the actual retail price will be, so that's not really a fair comparison at this time.
    "comparable" also ends at the magnification range, all these high end manufacturers offer different features and options that make them quite different and unique, and its up to the prospective buyers to figure out what they like best for their use.

Like it has been stated, there prices are completely out to lunch. It's disappointing that they choose to gouge instead of ease into the market, RIP Tangent.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Aprilia Man's Avatar
    Or could be their target market are not the average Joe like us. I'm sure they did their study and research on the market they are aiming for and priced their products for that market.

It will be the professional target shooters and military contracts that they are looking into.

Quote Originally Posted by DangerD View Post
    Like it has been stated, there prices are completely out to lunch. It's disappointing that they choose to gouge instead of ease into the market, RIP Tangent.
    CCFR MDRGC

CGN Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevebot-7 View Post
    Yeah, Premier Reticles was a bit of the HK of the optics world. A few years back they caught a guy over on Sniper's Hide or somesuch giving discounts to people. When they heard about it they took away his dealership because selling the scopes for cheap "tarnished their reputation" or something.

That said, cost and snobbery was the only complaints I had heard about them, supposidly they made some of the finest scopes around, built as solid as anyone could ask.

I don't think they'll survive on the civilian market, in Nova Scotia no less, with those prices. Who knows though, maybe they'll get a military contract. With their cheapest MSRP of 3,697 even assuming they retail for $3,499 they are alienating tens of thousands, if not millions even in Canada.
    stevebot-7 and overpriced scope made in a province that has 50 target ranges z
    and populated with un rich shooters the price piont is foolish for a runaway company
    every marine a rifleman
    every marine a marksman

CGN Regular
    And as I predicted, there would be a couple guys who would try to justify what TT pricing point is by saying the are marketing to the "professional marksmen". Who do you think Nightforce and S&B are building scopes for? Do you think professional marksmen are not using those pieces of glass because they are subpar? I am not trying to criticize the fan boys of TT or Premier because it is well known that they build a great product. I have looked at getting the Premier Heritage, but the TT has gone up from their. I just don't think that marketing solely for the military and police is the best business model when the civilian market is huge. The only successful military contract that Premier ever got that I am aware of the CDN and that is probably only because they were CDN to justify the gross over spending. The CDN military stuck with two CDN manufacturers for sniper platform. To have to go up against all of the competition with similar feature, that right, I said similar features, (look at the NF Beast, Gen II Razor, and the S&B line) and it will pretty difficult to justify that price unless the military is getting a huge price break that us poor joes don't get to see because we don't matter.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast