Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2014 SHOT SHOW: AMMO, new cartridges, new loads

2014 SHOT SHOW: AMMO, new cartridges, new loads

I noticed at least four new cartridges at SHOT 2014.

Technically, one of them is not new, as it was unveiled last year in inert prototype form.
    The Intrepid RAS-12 was reported on by this author here.
    http://www.canadiangunnutz.com/forum...ctical-shotgun
    ( I later found out that I not only scooped the other CGN Mods last year, but also scooped the entire Arfcom crowd as well!
    http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_150/1..._shotgun_.html
    Near the bottom of the thread. )

To review: This is a new all-plastic RIMLESS 12 gauge shotgun shell. In fact, the rim is slightly rebated. This is to aid in feeding and avoid rim lock.
    As well, it avoids the need for a severely curved magazine. The round also has a plastic nosecone to aid in feeding.

At the time, the inert mock-up rounds were clear plastic.

As well, the Intrepid staff I spoke with were not at liberty to reveal which ammo company was producing the rounds.

I can now report that Remington is producing the ammo for Intrepid. The current ammo is a molded black plastic case with a clear nosecone.
    As mentioned in last years report, this ammo is specifically for a new upper receiver for the AR-10 rifle, allowing it to become a shotgun.
    I had hoped to fire the shotgun/rifle at the Media Day event on the Monday prior to SHOT. Unfortunately, the gun did not cooperate.
    I did get a chance to talk to the Intrepid staff (perhaps at greater length than if they had been running a working gun...) and asked about other platforms in the future. I specifically mentioned the fact that an AR variant is a range-only gun, so will not sell in Canada.
    The booth staff said that Remington may introduce this round in other guns as well.

Oh yes, I did ask how many .308 rounds their 12 gauge magazine might hold...
    That might seem like a rather goofy question to our American neighbours reading this, but it all important to the black rifle crowd here.
    The Intrepid magazine is DESIGNED TO HOLD either 8, 3 or 2 rounds of this rimless 12 gauge ammo.
    Well, the answer is, none. The feed lips have to be opened up so far to allow the large 12 ga to feed that it simply will not hold .308 rounds. The just get barfed out.
    I hate to have to be the destroyer of dreams...

Nosler is well known for bullets, but they now have their own cartridge as well.
    The 26 Nosler is their first round. It is a large, beltless 6.5mm (.264 inch)
    The literature claims 129gr bullet at 3400 fps.
    Or as much speed at 400 yards as the .260 Rem has at the muzzle!

The name Sharps Rifle usually brings old time buffalo guns to mind. But they current Sharps Rifle Co. has a new cartridge based on the .223 case opened to .25 calibre. The OAL is such that it fits and feeds through a standard AR-15 mag.
    The name of this new round is 25-45. In old black powder buffalo era cartridges, the first number is the calibre in Imperial, as is the case here. The second number would refer to the powder charge in grains. However, in this instance the 45 refers to the case length in millimeters.
    So they have managed to blend both Inches and metric into one name.

The lovely Michelle with an AR chambered in 25-45 Sharps

The most intriguing looking round has to be the AM-TAC .416 Hushpuppy.
    There have been several large diameter rounds that are meant to feed thru an AR mag before, but they use bullets that are very short for their length. The bullets found in those rounds look more like pistol bullets.
    The new Hushpuppy uses a true rifle spire point bullet to increase Sectional Density for long distance shooting.
    This gives the round a REALLY unique look, with more copper bullet than brass case.
    It is based on a reformed 50AE case.

Last edited by tootall; 02-06-2014 at 07:37 AM.

There were also some unique loadings for existing rounds as well.

Advanced Ballistic Concepts has a unique round called the Multiple Impact Bullet.
    The bullet is actually 3 pieces, split lengthwise. The unique part is that the 3 parts are tied together by a piece of string, so that the pieces stay in formation as they move towards the target. Centrifugal force from the rotation due to the rifling separates the 3 parts, while the string keeps them at a fixed distance.
    I referred to this as a “Bolo” round when I spoke with the company VP, Jaye Kuchman. He quickly corrected me, saying that they worked closely with the BATFE to ensure that it was NOT classed as a bolo round. The string does no damage on its own, and is only there to guide the 3 main parts.

It is currently available in 45ACP and also in 12 gauge. The 12 gauge round actually is 4 pieces, as there is a central slug surrounded by 3 segments. A 9x19mm version is expected soon.

This author reported on PolyCase last year.
    http://www.canadiangunnutz.com/forum...ed-pistol-ammo
    Due to the massive panic buying that occurred through most of 2013, many small ammo manufactures found it difficult to get components. PolyCase was a victim of this as well. During the downtime, they designed a polymer bullet to go with their polymer case!
    The molded bullet features an aggressive “sawtooth” pattern. Apparently, the rifling spin causes these teeth to draw material in the target out, opposite to the bullet direction, much as the flutes of a drill bit force chips out of the drilled hole. They have video of a water jug being shot, and a splash pattern going back towards the shooter.

They are also working on a poly .223 case. This must be new, as it is not even mentioned in their literature, and only very recently on the website. (http://polycaseammo.com/ )

Spectra Shot has a colourful idea. Colour coded shotgun ammo. The idea being that this will eliminate any doubt as to who shot that last bird!

Last edited by tootall; 02-06-2014 at 07:31 AM.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Stevebot-7's Avatar
    Ohh, that 25-45 looks interesting indeed, and I am interested to see how the AM-TAC MIB get classified in Canada.

.416 Hushpuppy, is that you?
    Death comes by subtle means; the satisfaction of routine.
    Lifetime member of CSSA and NFA.

Pretty interesting, i wonder what will make it into canada, most likely not much
    Nothin' like the smell of varget in the morning

Member of ESSA

CGN Regular
    That polymer ammo looks kinda interesting.
    My posts are my views, don't be offended if they do not match. I also do not allow anyone to quote, or state my views (as my views) without my direct permission.
    Я хочу винтовку

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
    Stevebot, you trying to out me or what???

416 hushpuppy? Lol...

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Stevebot-7's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lawn gnome View Post
    Stevebot, you trying to out me or what???
    Of course not. You can come out whenever you want, nothing to be ashamed of

The polymer bullets look very interesting. 9x19 84 grain RN at 1400fps supposedly.
    Death comes by subtle means; the satisfaction of routine.
    Lifetime member of CSSA and NFA.

CGN frequent flyer eatredmeat157's Avatar
    The .26 Nosler looks like a promising round! Dogs n deer, cower in fear!
    Triple bread rounds for the win

CGN Ultra frequent flyer condomboy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tootall View Post
    So they have managed to blend both Inches and metric into one name.
    ...Well THAT's not going to mess with Americans...
    If you know how many guns you have... you don't have enough

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast