Page 16 of 20 FirstFirst ... 6891011121314151617181920 LastLast

Thread: XCR-M Micro .308 Pistol

Business Member Grumpy Wolverine's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bfiles View Post
    I hope so as i would LOVE a micro pistol but with a non restricted barrel on it.
    ummmm...then it wouldn't be a pistol, it would kind of be like a rifle wearing hot pants...
    If you have any questions please call or e-mail:

Phone: (204) 748-2454
    E-mail: sales@wolverinesupplies.com Retail Sales

Am I wrong that once a pistol, always a pistol? I asked a gunsmith on here to make a super long barrel for a glock pistol to meet the minimum OAL so I could re-classify it as a rifle but I was told by them that it's not possible to change the classification to non-restricted. These guys do make barrels to convert prohibs to restricted but said it doesn't work for pistols to rifles. Anyone know?

CGN Ultra frequent flyer bfiles's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Grumpy Wolverine View Post
    ummmm...then it wouldn't be a pistol, it would kind of be like a rifle wearing hot pants...
    Yes true but I love having stuff unregistered now so the funds can't keep tabs.
    CSSA CCFR PROUD MEMBER
    "Sleep in bliss Pops"!!!!!!

CGN Ultra frequent flyer bfiles's Avatar
    Although I am still waiting on you guys getting some micro or mini 7.62x39 In stock so i can possibly try it out
    CSSA CCFR PROUD MEMBER
    "Sleep in bliss Pops"!!!!!!

Sponsoring Dealer
    Quote Originally Posted by bfiles View Post
    Although I am still waiting on you guys getting some micro or mini 7.62x39 In stock so i can possibly try it out
    If you are really interested in one let me know and I will get one in for you as quick as I can!

Tyson.

Quote Originally Posted by Canuck1978 View Post
    Am I wrong that once a pistol, always a pistol? I asked a gunsmith on here to make a super long barrel for a glock pistol to meet the minimum OAL so I could re-classify it as a rifle but I was told by them that it's not possible to change the classification to non-restricted. These guys do make barrels to convert prohibs to restricted but said it doesn't work for pistols to rifles. Anyone know?
    I don't have a definite answer to your question, you need to search the regulations and CC. I believe the information given to you is based on CFC policy not law.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Epoxy7's Avatar
    Still waiting for those mags.... Sitting at 3 rifles that can use them..

Thanks John, hopefully it's bad info and there is a possibility it can be done. It would affect the XCRs as well... If I find anything out, I'll post it.

Just wanted to add my 2 cents. Myself and a few of my friends use our AR-10 platforms primarily from bipods. So Shorter mags are great for us. As a matter of fact since we haven't been able to get the Magpul 5/10's in Canada yet we have been chopping down 5/20's to that length. So a tne round capable mag in that length would be fantastic!

Quote Originally Posted by Canuck1978 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wolverine View Post
    I don't have a definite answer to your question, you need to search the regulations and CC. I believe the information given to you is based on CFC policy not law.
    There are three main clauses in the criminal code that are used to define the classification of modern firearms in Canada.

Quote Originally Posted by Criminal Code of Canada

“handgun”
    « arme de poing »
    “handgun” means a firearm that is designed, altered or intended to be aimed and fired by the action of one hand, whether or not it has been redesigned or subsequently altered to be aimed and fired by the action of both hands;
    and;

Quote Originally Posted by Criminal Code of Canada

Non-restricted firearm: any rifle or shotgun that is neither restricted nor prohibited. Most common long guns are non-restricted, but there are exceptions.

Restricted firearm* means:

1. a handgun that is not a prohibited firearm,
    2. a firearm that
      • is not a prohibited firearm,
      • has a barrel less than 470 mm in length, and
      • is capable of discharging centre-fire ammunition in a semi-automatic manner,
    3. a firearm that is designed or adapted to be fired when reduced to a length of less than 660 mm by folding, telescoping or otherwise, or
    4. a firearm of any other kind that is prescribed to be a restricted firearm in the Regulations Prescribing Certain Firearms and other Weapons, Components and Parts of Weapons, Accessories, Cartridge Magazines, Ammunition and Projectiles as Prohibited or Restricted.

Prohibited firearm* means:

1. a handgun that
      • has a barrel equal to or less than 105 mm in length, or
      • is designed or adapted to discharge a 25 or 32 calibre cartridge, but does not include any such handgun that is prescribed, where the handgun is for use in international sporting competitions governed by the rules of the International Shooting Union,
    2. a firearm that is adapted from a rifle or shotgun, whether by sawing, cutting or any other alteration, and that, as so adapted,
      • is less than 660 mm in length, or
      • is 660 mm or greater in length and has a barrel less than 457 mm in length,
    3. an automatic firearm, whether or not it has been altered to discharge only one projectile with one pressure of the trigger, or
    4. any firearm that is prescribed to be a prohibited firearm in the Regulations Prescribing Certain Firearms and other Weapons, Components and Parts of Weapons, Accessories, Cartridge Magazines, Ammunition and Projectiles as Prohibited or Restricted.

*Criminal Code definitions
    There is no definition for what a Non-restricted firearm is, only what it is not.

In the case of a super long barreled Glock, or any other long barreled handgun;

Our first question: does it meet the legal definition of a handgun? It it a firearm that is designed, altered or intended to be aimed and fired by the action of one hand, whether or not it has been redesigned or subsequently altered to be aimed and fired by the action of both hands.

Undeniably yes. No question and no shadow of a doubt it is a firearm that is designed, altered or intended to be aimed and fired by the action of one hand, whether or not it has been redesigned or subsequently altered to be aimed and fired by the action of both hands.

So we know it is a handgun.

Is it restricted by definition?

Well, the first point asks if it's a handgun, which it is. However we also need to make sure it is not prohibited.

We can immediately ignore point one because the firearm does not have a barrel shorter than 105mm and (presumably) not chambered in either prohibited cartridge.
    We can ignore point two because it was not a firearm that is adapted from a rifle or shotgun.
    We can ignore point 3 because it is not an automatic, and we can ignore point 4 because the Restricted handgun being used is obviously not prohibited by name.

So, it's not prohibited. Phew!

So, is it restricted then?

Well have determined that it IS a handgun and IS NOT prohibited. Therefore it must be a handgun that is not a prohibited firearm.

Case closed, once a handgun, always a handgun, and handguns are always restricted or prohibited.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ - When all else fails, vote from the rooftops "Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est"