Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Any photos of 6.5" 870 along side of the 8.5" 870?

CGN Ultra frequent flyer unstableryan's Avatar
    I say go for the 12.5". They are standard 870 parts at that point and enough of the fire happens outside of the barrel with a 12.5, anything shorter has to only be more ignorant in muzzle blast.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer G.Mitchell's Avatar
    Thanks for the feedback guys.

I've already got a 14" Fabarm, the goal was to get as small an OAL shotgun as possible while remaining comfortably functional for a big guy.

Seems that the 6.5" is really too small and won't be over 26" with a 12" lop stock.

8.5" gains one round and is over the 26" limit even with short stocks.

I hear the benefits of the 12.5" but I'd only be going down 1.5" from what I've got.

8.5" might be the compromise.
    Looking for members in Grande Prairie Alberta interested in wilderness skills, survival skills, camping, prepping, shooting, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom E Gun View Post
    That does not seem right. The collar is at the very end of my 8.5" barrel, don't you need a shorter mag tube for the 6.5"?

My advice to the OP is go for the 8.5" barrel. In my pic, with the stock at its shortest I am only just over 26" OAL. So if you go with a 6.5" you would need to pin the stock to a longer setting, so you might as well have the longer barrel. Also I can't imagine using a 6.5" barrel unless you are going to run some type of vertical fore grip - not much room for your hand on the 8.5", 2 less inches would be scary

I asked Joe and he told me that both the 6.5 and 8.5 both fit on the same shorty the 12.5 and 14.5 ones fit on the factory 870 and if you want you can add a plus 1 extension on the 870 and have 6 rounds with the 14 inch version and if you put it on the 12.5 it sticks out a little past the barrel.

Best regards,
    Scott
    Cheers,
    Leigh
    Dlask Arms Corp.
    www.dlaskarms.com

“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

CGN Ultra frequent flyer drift1122's Avatar
    If you like pissing people off at the range make sure you bring the 6.5 and the 8.5 with a few hundred rounds of 3" slugs.
    Many happy faces
    CCFR/NFA

Other than braggin rights you'd have to have a awfully overt need to go 6.5in long...the trade off in practical application is huge...rd capacity/muzzle blast/shootability are all compromised to the point of ridiculous.

The 12.5in is the limit of sensibility for shootability and still retains a full mag tube and full oem parts compatibility.

A 12.5in with a very short LOP is very compact and offers 4+1 capacity of 12g authority...pretty much the best go for power/compactness we can do in Canada.

I see the 8.5/6.5 870 as a novelty and or for when it HAS to fit somehwere ridiculously small and yer willing to compromise on capacity.

PS I sure wish somebody would produce an aluminum 870 receiver!!!!!!!!!!!! Weight is the 870's only shortcoming as a compact shotgun IMO
    Although the weight savings aren't dramatic on a loaded gun the small difference
    in weight would be hugely welcome on a compact 870 mostly carried vs shot!
    It was the only benefit my short 590 had over my 870's IMO.
    Husband/Father/Brother/Patriot/CDN Forces/Paramedic retired/Libertarian

Are the 6.5 and 8.5 have their length marked on the barrel?

CGN Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Can-down View Post
    Since the free advice is flying I'd go with a 12.5". You can run a stock fore end of your choice and put 4 in the tube.
    What he said

Quote Originally Posted by paintgunner View Post
    Are the 6.5 and 8.5 have their length marked on the barrel?
    Yes we make them they're made in Canada as well.

Best regards,
    Scott
    Cheers,
    Leigh
    Dlask Arms Corp.
    www.dlaskarms.com

“Hard times create strong men. Strong men create good times. Good times create weak men. And, weak men create hard times.”

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Can-down's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by G.Mitchell View Post
    Thanks for the feedback guys.

I've already got a 14" Fabarm, the goal was to get as small an OAL shotgun as possible while remaining comfortably functional for a big guy.

Seems that the 6.5" is really too small and won't be over 26" with a 12" lop stock.

8.5" gains one round and is over the 26" limit even with short stocks.

I hear the benefits of the 12.5" but I'd only be going down 1.5" from what I've got.

8.5" might be the compromise.
    Your Fabarm is a better hiking gun then a 12.5 Remington based on the weight.
    It's probably close to the same weight as Dlask's 8.5".....

I bought a CanAm 8.5 used because the price was right and I was curious..... but at the end of the day for a hiking type gun I'd choose the lightest option on the table and as long as it's below 30 inches or so I wouldn't worry to much about overall length.
    26 inches with a good stock and lite as possible would be ideal.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer G.Mitchell's Avatar
    Thanks Can-down

I thought the Fabarm might be lighter even with the longer barrel.

Too bad the 870 isn't available with an aluminum body like the Fabarm.
    Looking for members in Grande Prairie Alberta interested in wilderness skills, survival skills, camping, prepping, shooting, etc.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast