Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Alfa-Proj Revolvers In Stock

CGN Ultra frequent flyer Can-down's Avatar
    The look of the shorter cylinder is different that's for sure and not to everyone's taste.... I find it unique and don't mind the look. Plus it's the only chance most of us will get today to own a "4inch" revolver, The weight and balance of the compact model feels nice shooting 9mm.
    Another practical difference is the short cylinder revolver can use holsters made for 4 inch revolvers.....not that big of a deal breaker but there are surplus and older leather holsters out there that are inexpensive in Canada because they were made for 4 inch guns.

The lack of fluting is not an issue.
    Our Government trusts rivets more then law abiding gun owners.

Quote Originally Posted by Can-down View Post
    The look of the shorter cylinder is different that's for sure and not to everyone's taste.... I find it unique and don't mind the look. Plus it's the only chance most of us will get today to own a "4inch" revolver, The weight and balance of the compact model feels nice shooting 9mm.
    Another practical difference is the short cylinder revolver can use holsters made for 4 inch revolvers.....not that big of a deal breaker but there are surplus and older leather holsters out there that are inexpensive in Canada because they were made for 4 inch guns.

The lack of fluting is not an issue.
    Thanks for the input! I'm actually on the fence between the regular and classic model. I'm wondering if there is much weight difference between the two or if there would be much of a diferent feel while shooting.

Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be any Classic models available here in BC to try it out.

Quote Originally Posted by viajero69 View Post
    Thanks for the input! I'm actually on the fence between the regular and classic model. I'm wondering if there is much weight difference between the two or if there would be much of a diferent feel while shooting.

Unfortunately, there doesn't seem to be any Classic models available here in BC to try it out.
    Evening...

I own both and the weight of the classic full cylinder 4.5" is just a tad muzzle heavier than the short cylinder.

On the flip side, the short cylinder has just a tad more snap or muzzle rise.

These are true by obvious design.

I enjoy both very much. Having the short cylinder is very cool IMO. The machining/fit finish is so good, there is no issue rotating the fluteless cylinder.

So it's been a few years and it makes me chuckle why some think the cylinder gap is strange...I think it's clever and if you look at the S&W 986, it's just the same. But no one seems to mind it on that one.

Interesting comparison. Up until now I'd never seen another one with a cylinder like that.

Must be nice to have both!

I'm fairly new to revolvers, Only handgun I currently own is a 9mm Sig 226 semi auto, and am looking forward to getting one of these. Looks like a great value as well as feeling great in the hand.

Do you find the slightly heavier barrel helps to improve accuracy for you?

Also, do both models use the moon clips and is it a pita to get the casings out if you don't use moonclips?

Welcome to the world of the wheel gun.

Your choice for a P226 as a first semi is fantastic.

As for starting with an Alfa for your first revolver...lets just say, it's an easy choice even if it was your 3rd or 4th....

Now on a technical note about muzzle weight, the advantage leans towards follow up shots. If I bench both on a rest, they are about the same in accuracy.

They both function with or without moons. I don't use moons at all. I find with most factory brass, they drop out by gravity or a light palm tap. If the odd one doesn't fall out by itself, picking it out with your finger nail is easier than picking your nose for gold. Now one thing I did notice, try not to use aluminium case ammo. They expand a bit more and stick in the chambers.

Quote Originally Posted by cableguy View Post
    Welcome to the world of the wheel gun.

Your choice for a P226 as a first semi is fantastic.

As for starting with an Alfa for your first revolver...lets just say, it's an easy choice even if it was your 3rd or 4th....

Now on a technical note about muzzle weight, the advantage leans towards follow up shots. If I bench both on a rest, they are about the same in accuracy.

They both function with or without moons. I don't use moons at all. I find with most factory brass, they drop out by gravity or a light palm tap. If the odd one doesn't fall out by itself, picking it out with your finger nail is easier than picking your nose for gold. Now one thing I did notice, try not to use aluminium case ammo. They expand a bit more and stick in the chambers.
    Yeah. the P226 a great pistol, super reliable.

Thanks for the tip about the aluminum casings, good to know!

CGN Ultra frequent flyer burnaby's Avatar
    Luv the unfluted, my 686, 629 and 50S&W is unfluted. This will be a great addition, always wanted a 9mm or 45ACP unfluted that will shoot without moonclips. The 625PC unfluted is unobtainium.

Hey CG, did you get the reduced weight spring kit from Rusty? Do all my shooting in DA, heard the DA is pretty heavy in the 10+ lb range.

Quote Originally Posted by cableguy View Post
    Evening...

I own both and the weight of the classic full cylinder 4.5" is just a tad muzzle heavier than the short cylinder.

On the flip side, the short cylinder has just a tad more snap or muzzle rise.

These are true by obvious design.

I enjoy both very much. Having the short cylinder is very cool IMO. The machining/fit finish is so good, there is no issue rotating the fluteless cylinder.

So it's been a few years and it makes me chuckle why some think the cylinder gap is strange...I think it's clever and if you look at the S&W 986, it's just the same. But no one seems to mind it on that one.

Revolvers RULE; remember that next time you BEND over to pick up brass OR ejected brass pings off the precision gear.
    Looking for a car pool buddy for weekly weekday trips from Burnaby to POCO. Better yet I'll drive weekly and you take me hunting.

Yes, I did install the kit from Rusty's.
    Big improvement.... Much lighter by a few pounds and still deep strike on the primer with no shims. Actually, even though the factory is about 10lbs...it's very smooth.

Different goes for the 2251 in .22lr.
    That one for me required one shim...the strikes on the rim were a tad light. This also dropped a few pounds and it's quite the delight to shoot. All Alfa's I've tried have an impressive trigger for the price.
    Last edited by cableguy; 02-27-2016 at 11:30 PM.

CGN Ultra frequent flyer BabySeal's Avatar
    My interest is piqued.

How do these compare in grip size to a GP100 or S&W 686?

What holsters fit?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123