My Kwik Pin Review

zeuce

CGN Ultra frequent flyer
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I was recently offered to try out and review the new magwedge kwik pin by Dave at magwedge and I was told to offer an unbiased review on it, so here it is:

The pin as I received it. Very nice peice with a detent so it cannot back out of the hole and a ring to pull it out when needed.
909C8205-D85F-4772-A570-CFE195FB105F_zpsvehjlsn6.jpg

52B9FA8F-7AE7-417C-8D05-BE39AF497E9C_zps8w2i2ijg.jpg

Now here comes the part I had troubles with. The pin fits so tightly that it was impossible to install by hand. I had to tap it through with a rubber mallet. Now this is probably due to the tolerances in various receivers but Im not sure. In turn I had to use a pair of pliers to pull the pin back out. I also tried lubricating the pin but the results were the same. removing the pin with pliers also marred the pin. Again a tight fit is good so there is no movement but this also makes field stripping the rifle without tools impossible. I will however run the pin for a few hundred rounds and various cleaning cycles to see if it frees up a bit and to see how it handles the abuse of a 500-1000 rounds at least.
ACC642CE-1249-46DA-9691-4B6DFBB82D56_zpspqvqvsxs.jpg

both side views so you can see how much of the pins sticks out
EA5EEED1-4057-4452-B6B8-58982ADB2E40_zpsr5qgeamo.jpg

C089923E-F984-4A73-AA3A-2716D534B609_zpslth4rbtt.jpg

This post will be updated as I put some rounds through my rifle and clean it a bunch of times. I would like to hear from other CGN'ers about their experiences as maybe this is just an issue with my receiver, so if you have a kwik pin please post up.

Again thanx to Dave at Magwedge for the opportunity to try the new kwik pin!

Last edited:
Hi Zeuce , thanks for posting.

And I think you meant an unbiased review, at least that's what I asked for ... ;)

When I first tested the pin I found it difficult to insert and remove as well but now it seems not too bad. There is a little technique involved .... I find turning the pin as you push it in to be helpful.

The pin is a 6mm diameter and should be a perfect match for the receiver cover hole. The detent will offer resistance to insertion and removal, as it should. Once you overcome the resistance of the detent you are home free. I guess there will always be slight variations in rifles, but as you suggest, tighter is better.

I suppose I will have to post a video to show it is indeed possible to use these things in the field without a mallet. ;)

At the shows I show the removal and re-insertion of the pin in a matter of seconds ... if the expressions on people's faces are any clue, it's pretty impressive.

Ok sweet ill try that and look forward to your video. And yeah unbiased lol stupid auto correct!

Mine is very tight too and will require tools to get out. Hopefully it'll loosen up a bit through use.

Try twisting back and forth as you pull to remove it before using tools.

It's a bit of a knack to figure out exactly how, but mine works very well now that I have practiced it.

Takes only a few seconds to take down and replace ... when I get a chance I will post a video.

Hi re the new Quickrail, I was looking at the Webpage, anyone know if they include the Quick pin with the Rail? With flat rate shipping makes it an expensive pin if you order separately. I am planning to buy the rail from reliable so I can pick up.

KwikPin is included with any order of a rail directly from the website.

Does Reliable have our rails in stock? Make sure you get the Magwedge KwikRail and not our competitor's version, which lacks many of the features of the Magwedge SKS rail.

My pin worked out perfectly. No tools needed and any tighter would leave me unable to do it by hand. Got lucky with the match to my sks perhaps. Either way quite happy with it.

My KwikRail and KwikPin are simply amazing. The Pin fit perfectly and allows for rapid removal while also firmly engaging the rail system. The KwikRail is also amazing and simple to install - the toughest step being removing the old SKS rear sight - mine had a very tight leaf spring to depress.

An excellent set of products overall!

Qick rail

KwikPin is included with any order of a rail directly from the website.

Does Reliable have our rails in stock? Make sure you get the Magwedge KwikRail and not our competitor's version, which lacks many of the features of the Magwedge SKS rail.

Hi thanks for the reply, Reliable has some rails in stock but are not familiar with the Quick pin. Since I want the pin I think it makes more sense to order direct from your Website.
Thanks again Bob

A friend moved his Magwedge Kwik Rail from one SKS to another, and the Kwik pin that was a perfect fit on the first SKS had to be convinced to go in on the second SKS with a rubber mallet. Definitely tolerances come into play for the Kwik pin. Great product.

A friend moved his Magwedge Kwik Rail from one SKS to another, and the Kwik pin that was a perfect fit on the first SKS had to be convinced to go in on the second SKS with a rubber mallet. Definitely tolerances come into play for the Kwik pin. Great product.

I find the best way to deal with a tight fitting pin is to work it from side to side while pushing it in. Needing to use tools to install or remove this parts seems a bit self defeating to me as the pin is designed to be inserted and removed quickly.

I do find that with regular use a pin gradually gets easier to work in and out of the receiver hole. I suppose emery cloth could assist in acheiving a custom fit to your particular rifle, but be careful not to create too loose a fit.

I find the best way to deal with a tight fitting pin is to work it from side to side while pushing it in. Needing to use tools to install or remove this parts seems a bit self defeating to me as the pin is designed to be inserted and removed quickly.

I do find that with regular use a pin gradually gets easier to work in and out of the receiver hole. I suppose emery cloth could assist in acheiving a custom fit to your particular rifle, but be careful not to create too loose a fit.

I worked on my friend's SKS again, the one where the kwik pin would not go in without a mallet. The pin would fit just fine in the receiver pin hole, and also in the recoil spring housing, however when I took a second look and lined up the Kwik rail, the receiver and the recoil spring housing, the recoil spring housing was not lining up 100%. I had to trim one side of the Kwik pin with a bench grinder, then it was a good fit. Thanks for the help Dave from Magwedge. Excellent service.

Just a little tech tip.Invest in a firearms hammer,the one with a brass striker side and a screw on nylon striker on the opposite side and a set of inexpensive brass punches for working on firearms with less damage. Hope this helps and personally I would like. It that tight as eventually it will loosen slightly.Thanks--Dieseldog!

Just a little tech tip.Invest in a firearms hammer,the one with a brass striker side and a screw on nylon striker on the opposite side and a set of inexpensive brass punches for working on firearms with less damage. Hope this helps and personally I would like. It that tight as eventually it will loosen slightly.Thanks--Dieseldog!

I have been considering investing in firearms tools, and I think I will. Thanks for the advice dieseldog.

Back
Top Bottom